SITE REVIEW: Calculators.Info

• matview
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • matview
  • Loc: http://www.tedjob.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Launched yesterday. http://www.calculators.info is the link. Took me a while to build these javascript calculators. This is just phase one. I plan to build and add more calculators in the future. Any comments are welcomed.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• chrysiptera
  • chrysiptera

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quick feedback.

The site looks great. You are very clear what it is, and the calculators seem to work in a very straightforward way.

1) The image in the upper left should link back to the main page. Many people will click on this logo expecting to be 'reset' back to the homepage of your site.

2) you might want to get a favicon so your site shows up more interestingly in tabs.

But, nice site.. I hope you do well.
Jer
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I disagree with chrysiptera with the look of the site. Not great ... looks like something from 1995. It's simple and straight to the point, yes; one thing it is not is interesting.

There are 14 errors in the HTML and it's good to see that your CSS is valid.

You also might want to expand on your page title a bit, as it does have an effect on SEO - include some keywords. For example:
Code: [ Select ]
<title>Calculators - mortgage, love, math, interest</title>

et cetera ...

Getting back to the design side of things, and I agree with chrysiptera about the top logo - make it link back to the home page.

It is a very bland web page. White background with only blue red and black text? Add some images and colour to keep people interested. I would like to see less room given to the add on the right, too, and you could possibly move it to the space below your navigation on the left.

What is this? "Pregnent Releated"!? First of all it is 'pregnant' and secondly, you might want to make it read 'Pregnancy Calculators' ... nothing annoys me more than spelling and grammatical errors, especially when I make them ... except perhaps templates. Again below that you have "Other Calculator" ... there is a magical letter that should have been used: 's'.
  • MattC1983
  • Born
  • Born
  • MattC1983

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with Breeze on some of those points, it does look a bit bland and the title is a big part of SEO so it if you do anything follow his advice on that one!

The calculators do work well, interested in knowing how u have worked out some of the scores tho ;)
  • matview
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • matview
  • Loc: http://www.tedjob.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the comments. They are very helpful. Now I have added the link to the logo image, through image map though. Initially, I ignored the logo link on purposely for SEO reason. But you are right, it should be clickable. I also added a favicon, corrected the spelling errors, and fixed a few small bugs. I won’t worry too much about the HTML errors. It is mostly about closing tag. I usually use something like <br /> instead of <br>, these seems to be problematic for html validator. Home page of google.com has 66 html errors :). About the design, I agree that it is too old fashioned. However, it is out of my capability to design an attractive page. So I would rather to keep it plain just like google.com instead of creating something in between. I am an A type of SEOer, B type of programmer, F type of designer. :( So this type of design is a compromise. Another reason I keep it plain is that this site is more a SEO site. Plain design is normally good for SEO. I moved the “add on” down a little. But not too lower. This “add on” thing is quite good for SEO, so I won’t keep it too low.

About SEO, after three years on this, I am quite confident about my SEO skill and I have developed my own SEO philosophy. You may have noticed that this site is a very Google SEO targeted site. I spend 1/3 of the time on SEO including keyword analysis, optimization, structure the site in SEO oriented ways etc. The single word title is part of SEO. In short, unlike what suggested by many SEO articles, I normally emphasize only one keyword for each page. Keep the title exactly the same as the targeted keywords helps a lot.

Again, thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers