Voting Chart

Total votes : 1

What part of CCH needs to be improved the most?

•  
    Accessibility & Usability
  •  
    Content
  •  
    Layout & Visual Design

SITE REVIEW: CenterCourt Hoops -- NBA and NCAA discussion

• atDesign
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • atDesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off, I have a question for the mods: is it okay if, over the next two or three months, I put up a couple different additional sites? Somewhere between one to three more...

Okay well, anyway:

CenterCourt Hoops - NBA and NCAA basketball

Short description of site objective:

CenterCourt Hoops (CCH) is a basketball website for NBA and NCAA fans. The purpose of the site is to have a place where visitors will come often and become a part of the community. Currently, we have a forum, wiki, and blog -- and need some more contributors for the site, especially content.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Blotch
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Blotch

Post 3+ Months Ago

The design is pretty clean, however I don't really like the font you use on the navigation. You might want to try experimenting with a few other fonts.

I took a quick look at the source code of your site. The first hing I saw was that you way over-obsessed with your keywords meta tag. This is a common mistake, people think that the more keywords they use, the better they will be. WRONG. First, most search engines completely ignore this meta tag. Second, for the few search engines which do use it, when you don't even use the keywords on the actual page it doesn't do any good for you at all.

I also noticed that you made sure to put "CenterCourt Hoops.com - Your Source for NBA and NCAA News" at the top of the page. It doesn't go with the design and makes your website look unprofessional, not to mention that there's really no need for it. If you want to emphasise a certain phrase, just put it in header tags. After a quick search on your source code, I saw that you didn't use any header tags at all. Stick a few <h1><h2> and <h3> tags in there if you want to make sure search engines take a special look at certain keywords/phrases.

Another thing which caught my eye right away was the "Advertise with us" and "Your ad here" buttons on the right side of the page. These buttons aren't very attractive and definitally don't help the professionalism of your website. If you really insist on placing something to show you have advertising slots available, try just using plain text.

Best of luck!
  • atDesign
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • atDesign

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, first off, we've added a blog to the site -- that should help with our lack of content...

I totally agree on the font of the buttons in the side menu; I was planning to re-do those a couple months ago, but that menu is actually become mostly text links in the re-design we've been working on. Hopefully we can also replace those 'Advertise with Us' buttons with some real affiliates soon.

I'm still working on covincing the main programmer that there's nothing wrong with using <h1>, etc., tags, but we'll see what happens...I'm not sure why he won't use them.

We'll probably stick with the title of the site at the top of the page -- but we'll see how the page looks after the re-design, with and without it.

Thanks for the review!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers