SITE REVIEW: Cherished

• Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok guys I have got my basic template up, and its not valid yet, I just need some input on the design, what I can improve, etc before I go any further with it.

Don't hold back, I want this site to be perfect.

Thanks!

http://www.cherished.net.au
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all I like the colours, they work well together. And I also like how you've kept the front page short but descriptive, unlike other websites that give you about thirty page's worth to scroll through.

Don't know if you're just holding out 'till you get one but the ABN is missing from the footer.

You might want to put a small pic of you on the about page, where you introduce yourself ... helps give a bit if a personal touch and people are more trustworthy if they know what you look like.

You've still got a bit of building to go (don't forget to make it valid), but you're definately on the right track - well done :D

Edit: I know you're catering for all resolutions in regards to your width, but I think the days of 800x600 are well and truly over ... most people nowadays are using 1024x768 and over. You might want to either make the design fluid or increase the width to about 900 or 950, because I don't see a forum properly fitting into 717 pixels.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I think I am going to expand it OR the forum template.. ABN I don't have yet, in the process now and with the pic I am working on that too hahaha

Thanks hun! :)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I gave you my two cents the other night on the logo text, and it looks like you've nailed it! Nice job.

I don't really have anything to add. The layout is beautifully simplistic. The colors work well together. Everything looks like it belongs.

If I had my own official seal of approval, you'd get it. :thumbsup:
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Spork :D
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love it, I do. You've actually inspired me to do something similar here in serbia............... not same subject, but a help-the-community kind of site....

as far as your template is concerned, my only suggestion would be to move the butterflies a bit lower down and narrow all the margins a little bit - particularly the top one... I just feel the site starts a little too low on the page, when viewed at 1024x768. Otherwise it's very pretty!
  • tan_go
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like your piece of work.
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate it! It needs more web 2.0! Just kidding. I love it. Except the colors. I would tone the blue or the pink down. Pastels are really tricky. Also I would beef up the navigation. Add a little more to it on the rollover. But what's really great is it validates as CSS and you have a few errors with the HTML validation, but it's a great start. Good luck!
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I disagree about optimizing for higher resolution. Even though I max out my own screen settings, I know tons of people that still work with the lower 800x600.

The colors are a little bright for me.

Are any of the other pages working? Not for me at least.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just the about page..

I am thinking of the doing forum in a fluid design, and keep the site as fixed.

The colours I chose because I wanted it to be a fun, yet warm site to visit. I know most sites are not those colours, but thats kinda the point.

Cheers guys!
  • mysonmark
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mysonmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the page. I love the design and color scheme. It make you want to read on. The graphic are nice - Good job, makes me want to see it completed. :)
  • Pariah
  • Pariah

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the colors of the site, they go well together and definitely catch your eye. I think there is too much space at the top of the site for the graphic in the banner. It seems like the content is too far down for my liking.

Overall, I like it!
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am going to work on the banner some more, I like the idea of it having a little space like that but I am going to fix the slight gap in at the top.

I am going to start the forum design some time this week, if I get a chance to. Been so busy! The kids have been on holidays so I am trying to keep the house in order, and run after them to keep them out of trouble haha.

Thanks for your input so far guys :D
  • vbtricks
  • vbtricks
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks fine to me, well structured and neat design. Two annotations:

1. A news sidebar of the home page could inform users about the latest changes and shorten the line length a bit.

2. Instead of underlining the links in the navigation, I'd rather highlight them by brightening the background (display-Style: block, see http://aktuell.de.selfhtml.org/artikel/ ... spiel1.htm for effect) and inverting the forecolor.

Stefan
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am aiming for a simple look, I think the highlight effect will be abit over the top because of the colours of the website. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm thinking invert the colors for those links.
The :hover color is easy to read, but that white on light-blue is a tad rough on the eyes.

I can't remember where the kickum-assum one of these I found went, but this one should work for you.
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/access ... _tool.html
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I was thinking the same thing Joe.. I will change it and see how that looks. Will update everyone when I have made a few changes.
  • stabby
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • stabby

Post 3+ Months Ago

One simple improvement as a matter of my own opinion.

Remove the underlining of the mouseover over the menu links.

looks really nice though. Good luck.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers