SITE REVIEW: Chiba Beat

• peachy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Japan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,
Recently I have been playing around trying to change the layout of my site. The new layout that I have come up with is http://chibabeat.com/
Since I have just been playing around all of the url's might not be working, but I'm looking for some advice on this layout before I implement it into the entire site.
Just a little background info. The site is a regional information site for a city in Japan with listings for bars, clubs, restaurants, shops, and events.

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ThomasB
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ThomasB

Post 3+ Months Ago

What a cool site, I love the guide on getting to japan, your layoout for th page above is fine, good job.
  • peachy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very much. Actually now my girlfriend and I are in a fight about the layout. She thinks that the page should be centered and the table under the header should not be 100%. She also thinks that the rounded images on the navigation bar contrast too much with the squared images with the rest of the tables. Anyways, she made a layout that she likes better so I would really appreciate a comparison of the two. Mine is the one in the first post but hers is this one http://chibabeat.com/bldynew1.html. The changes are the navigation bar, the background behind the navigation bar and the header.
  • gsgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gsgfx
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well im gonna be honest with you but yours is better. 1, becuase the menu looks more seamless
2, header is not as 'busy'

Now the bad things on your version is the 2 girls on your header, even though it looks good :), is not relevant to the purpose of your site. Put some abstract japanese lettering or something, that should look good. Add some background for your site and you should be set!
  • peachy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

gsgfx wrote:
Well im gonna be honest with you but yours is better. 1, becuase the menu looks more seamless
2, header is not as 'busy'

Now the bad things on your version is the 2 girls on your header, even though it looks good :), is not relevant to the purpose of your site. Put some abstract japanese lettering or something, that should look good. Add some background for your site and you should be set!

I completely agree with everything you just wrote. The girls in the header definitely have to be changed but the new header is a little tough on the eyes. I also think that you could align the everything to the left of the page and it might still look good.

I'm really glad to get some feedback about her page too because she can be very stubborn. She thinks that I'm the only one that likes 100% headers and navigation bars and the rest of the "cool" world likes fitted. Maybe if she can hear a lot of different opinions it will open up her mind a bit more.
  • Birmingham
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Birmingham, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

new layout is much better than the old one, if's clean, smooth, fits to the screen, neutrally coloured, and text-scalable all except for the google ads and the navigation. the navigation gets messy because it takes a whole for the hover effect to load, and when the window size is reduced the navigation just goes to pot. if you can sort out a good, simple but attractive navigation then the site will be splendid. :lol:
  • peachy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the header has now been changed to something a little more Japanese. I also think I fixed the hover on the navigation bar so that it won't take 15 minutes of hovering to work properly.

Still not sure on what color for a background though. Any ideas?
  • Birmingham
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

the nav still messes up when the screen width is reduced. hover effect isnt the main prob there.

itadakimasu!
  • theonlydrayk
  • Born
  • Born
  • theonlydrayk

Post 3+ Months Ago

header is nice, but the title have little contrast
for the content maybe use gradients
  • peachy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Birmingham wrote:
the nav still messes up when the screen width is reduced. hover effect isnt the main prob there.

itadakimasu!

You speak Japanese! Impressive!:shock:

I definitely see what you are talking about now. That is a real problem but I'm having trouble getting it not to go to garbage when the screen size is reduced. Do you have any idea where I went wrong?
  • peachy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I fixed the navigation bar.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a background color?
  • Birmingham
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

well done, the nav bar looks good now. if you do a 100% width footer to match the header then i don't think a background is needed. it's already nice and neutral. if you do a background though, maybe something greyscale like this forum or anything pale :lol:
  • peachy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Recently I have completely changed the system this site is based on and the design. Can I get some opinions on the new system and design?
  • markov
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • markov

Post 3+ Months Ago

It could be beneficiary if there's a change in background color. I think its pure white. I would suggest something like snow white, or any light color.

The design looks good, but it looks somewhat lengthy home page. Scrolling too much gives pain to the user. Just have a glance on it. The header could be re-worked. If it is in accordance to the regional tastes, its ok then.
  • DMX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the newer, lighter version quite a bit better. Looks nice.

A minor thing - the drop shadows on the topic area title images is a little much. I might tone those down, like by half or something.

And my favorite toy for complimentary color suggestions, background or otherwise is: http://meddle.dzygn.com/tests/colors/#

Nice job!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers