SITE REVIEW: City of North Platte

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is the official website for the City of North Platte. You all should know, I did not make this site, and out of the two people who did, one does not work here any more (I have his job now) and the other doesn't want to spend a lot of time on it. I think it needs some work and have a few ideas of my own, what do you think would make the biggest, most dramatic improvements? I think little more style and maybe some more images or a little bit of flash or something.

I'm hoping I can make whatever suggestions I can think of and you all present and be granted permission to work on it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

AHHH! FRAMES! The frames need to go. The whole site looks like something out of the 90's. If I were you, and assuming that you have the time/permission/ability, I would say a complete site overhaul is in order, meaning start from scratch with the design, build it in pure XHTML/CSS, and work the existing content into it.

If that is not possible, then definitely start by getting rid of the frames, the animated GIF's, and get a better logo that looks like it fits in with the site.

I really do hope you get permission to work on it, and if you do, you sure have a lot of work ahead of you... good luck :)
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, I didn't think websites like that existed any more. Thats aweful. It looks like one of my first sites, lol. If they had websites in 82' it would still look out dated. Truthfully, I smelled a potential client, but I won't do that to ya, right now. If in a couple of months that site has not changed, I will give your lil city a call. Good luck :)
  • gruber
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • gruber
  • Loc: Croatia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ugh, site looks really bad now, if I were you I would redesigned it all over.
There is just nothing you can use from this page.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

In a word it's tragic. At least fix the validation errors, they make it look very amateurish (or was that the old school gif).
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, thats ugly, sorry :D. I think this would be a good site for a flash intro page and the rest can be xhtml. Right now the first page is really bad, this looks like a really old website.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is all the same ideas and thoughts I was having. I never really thought anything of it until I visited other municipality websites and they are really nice and have more than just solid colored backgrounds and stuff. I haven't done any validation on it, but theak's reply is probably one of the best things I can show my boss, he hates errors--got that when he was a Marine major. Thanks a bunch for the incentive to make it right!
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know a site is bad when no one can even tell you where to start to make it better.

Here's a term I must pull out of retirement from my childhood, if you know it, shout it with me,

"DO OVER!"
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got started on that today. I am pretty much going to keep the content but do a totally new style and color scheme and all that stuff. I think I am going to make a few pages then present them to my boss and see what he says.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

A complete redo of the site is in oreder. Frames. That is, like Spork said, in the 90s and needs to be fixed. CSS is the best option right now.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I'm getting rid of the frames and all that junk and am going to do a table-less design. I am going to see if I can find a way to do those city schedule tables as an XML file, then import it somehow. I'm not real sure how to do that, but I'll figure it out.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers