SITE REVIEW: CITYSOUND.COM re-design

• citysoundman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Everyone,

Here's my new website (not yet complete)
http://www.citysound.com/about/index.htm

I'm not a pro designer. But I've put a lot of time into learning table-less CSS design. I am using my site to promote my audio post production services. I've decided to create a simple, fixed-size design so users don't need to scroll down to view content.

I am working on a Mac and checking things on Windows XP Pro with Virtual PC on my Mac, using IE6 & IE7. It would be great if Windows users could let me know if they have any issues, especially viewing my Quicktime reels.

Note - I've also decided not to worry about compatibility with IE5 and earlier browsers. I think anyone visiting my site will have a modern browser.

I'd really appreciate any comments, criticisms, or advice.
:D
Thanks in advance!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mtheory
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Branford CT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice clean design but small for a visually oriented site.

Not a big fan of popups and quicktime for reels that could have been intergrated seamlessly into the page or an uninteruppted presentation.

The tiny reels don't do your work justice.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the site is pretty neat and serves its purpose well. I also the colour scheme a lot.

My only suggestion is that you could consider providing an alternative to QuickTime, such as Flash or Windows Media, since the number of users that have QuickTime installed is relatively low.
  • citysoundman

Post 3+ Months Ago

casablanca wrote:
My only suggestion is that you could consider providing an alternative to QuickTime, such as Flash or Windows Media, since the number of users that have QuickTime installed is relatively low.

Good point about an alternative movie format. For now I am not using Flash because I haven't learned it yet.

If I wanted to let the user choose either QT or Windows Media for the movies, any suggestions on how to provide the choice? I guess I can't use the still image for the link, as I am now doing - it can only link to one particular movie.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could provide a choice within the popup window.

Also, I don't think you need to know Flash for providing a Flash format movie. You just need to convert your movies to maybe FLV format (you get lots of converters for this) and then use a Flash FLV player to play the movie - check out JW FLV Media Player - it's an open source FLV player written in Flash, and it's pretty customizable.
  • jfrasier
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I pretty much agree with the above posts. In regards to Flash Video, you really don't need to know Flash to encode Flash Video. All you need is the codec, and you can export your quicktime file as a Flash video. Check out:

http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player/

This is a great codec, and player to review your Flash video.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers