SITE REVIEW: cjax.net

• cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I would like to know what you guys think of this site as far as the design. Also what you think it's missing , or what you like best, or what would be good to have. all reviews or comments are welcomed and appreciated.

the site is http://cjax.net

notice that I am the only one taking care of this site, and personally any feedback or diffrent prospective would be appreciated.

thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those colors could use a lot of work. The purple and orange clash really badly and overall there are way too many colors. General rule is 3 to 4 different colors max (black and white each count as a color)

Other than that the site doesn't really have that look we've all come to associate with AJAX. Not specifically what's become known as web 2.0 look but the big smooth areas of color combined with really clean minimal design.
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
Those colors could use a lot of work. The purple and orange clash really badly and overall there are way too many colors. General rule is 3 to 4 different colors max (black and white each count as a color)

Thanks so much for your honest review, what color would you be looking for?

graphixboy wrote:
Other than that the site doesn't really have that look we've all come to associate with AJAX.

I think that the look I am trying to give it is not associated with AJAX directly, but more like a fun place to stay for a big community, but I agree it needs some touches. That is one of the reasons as of why I am looking for external points of view, thank! I will definitely look into the colors.

graphixboy wrote:
Not specifically what's become known as web 2.0 look, but the big smooth areas of color combined with really clean minimal design.

The site itself has no intention to look like an AJAX website. The project works a little different than other/most AJAX projects. (Most of the stuff is back-end functionality, it can be used without typing a single line of html or javascript). Although, CSS can be used a lot, and mainly PHP.

graphixboy wrote:
the big smooth areas of color combined with really clean minimal design.

Could you please rephrase this for me? I don't really understand what you mean.

By the way I was checking out your site, and I really like your graphics/art work, I could use some of that for an up coming project :iconthumbleft: (if you don't mine having new customers) .
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also the prospective the site has or that I am wanting to give it would be something like...

http://www.eclipse.org ...

Sorry, I should of have mention this at the beginning.. far from the content of the above site, but as far as the prospective... something like that..
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

First and foremost I agree with graphixboy's comments about the colors. Try to reduce the number of colors you're using and aim for ones that work well together. I often like to play around with Adobe's Kuler when creating color schemes for websites.

Related to the colors, the copyright text at the bottom is difficult to read against the page background.

Here are some screenshots of a few minor things I've noticed that you might want to fix/enhance:

Attachments:
cjax3.png

It's difficult to identify the indirection operator (->) in your code. Try using a fixed-width font for code segments.

Attachments:
cjax2.png

The white bar looks too pixelated as if it were drawn in Paint. Try using a sharper, higher-resolution vector.

Attachments:
cjax1.png

There's an odd looking pixel or two in the upper left of the page.

The site is really off to a decent start. The colors are your biggest issue, everything else is minor in my opinion.

Finally, I think the word "framework" is a bit misleading to potential users of your software. Your product appears to be code library that can be used in other PHP scripts. A framework is more of a complete architecture for an application that provides a foundation for development. Clarifying this might help you to retain visitors and draw more, better-targeted interest in your library.
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
First and foremost I agree with graphixboy's comments about the colors. Try to reduce the number of colors you're using and aim for ones that work well together. I often like to play around with Adobe's Kuler when creating color schemes for websites.

Thanks! I will take that into consideration.

Quote:
Related to the colors, the copyright text at the bottom is difficult to read against the page background.

That is a good catch!

Quote:

Here are some screenshots of a few minor things I've noticed that you might want to fix/enhance:
cjax3.png

that is also a pretty good catch!, I wouldn't have notice if you didn't tell me!.

Quote:
cjax2.png

I added that banner yesterday, I would consider that image as beta(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta since I am constantly changing it for better. I throw that line there but it is actually not needed, I will have to remove it, since it is doing nothing.

Quote:
cjax1.png

The site is really off to a decent start. The colors are your biggest issue, everything else is minor in my opinion.

I was hard to tell that pixel would be noticeable ! .. It will be fixed.

as far as the colors and stuff like that... trust me.. that is the really minor stuff as far as difficulty level.. but one of the most important as is the first thing to be noticed when first arriving to the website.

Quote:
Finally, I think the word "framework" is a bit misleading to potential users of your software. Your product appears to be code library that can be used in other PHP scripts. A framework is more of a complete architecture for an application that provides a foundation for development. Clarifying this might help you to retain visitors and draw more, better-targeted interest in your library.

Did my homework on this term.. It used to be a library in an earlier stage.. but then it changed to be a framework. A new compiling system was implemented.
It sort of sends commands from a prospective using a type of xml phrasing syntax, then it executes it depending on which command is sent. Providing a simple API.
it uses the factory design pattern to load and compile components patterns which are the ones in charge to load the plugins. which are a frame - by - frame - work (figuratively). And as the latest version which hasn't been released yet (but its ready to beta testing :) ), also implements the process of executing plugins within Javascript. (current version only allows to do this with php) but though the file cjax/core/js/cjax.js it is a library itself. And finally.. I am already familiar with the term from before ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_framework
I also re-visited the term library http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_library it didn't sounds much like it.
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I did some work and fixed the following:

Extra pixel at the top left of page.
Banner issue with image not properly designed.
Link at the bottom was hard to see.
Colors.
some formatting.

Thanks so much graphixboy and Spork for your input, Please review one more time, and if you see anything that applies to the original post please let me know.

Thanks so much guys
  • sbrown2009
  • sbrown2009

Post 3+ Months Ago

overall pretty good. color scheme still needs some work.
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi

Post 3+ Months Ago

sbrown2009 wrote:
overall pretty good. color scheme still needs some work.

thanks for the comment, I did some work on the color and moved some modules around the home page, what do you think of the colors now?
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the header and colors are much better.

There's still something strange with the top of the page. The right and left curves look like they're out of alignment after about 50 pixels. It may have been intentional but to me it looks like a mistake. See Spork's last image...
  • GoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bad logo- no professional. Logo should be hyperlink to main page!

Top of the site doesn't look good.

Main menu looks like Google adsense.

Top and bottom menu should be centered.

Page rank is 0. You should invest is search engine optimization.
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
I think the header and colors are much better.

There's still something strange with the top of the page. The right and left curves look like they're out of alignment after about 50 pixels. It may have been intentional but to me it looks like a mistake. See Spork's last image...

Yes it is intentional, but i think i can give it a re-touch
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi

Post 3+ Months Ago

GoWeb wrote:
Bad logo- no professional. Logo should be hyperlink to main page!

Top of the site doesn't look good.

Main menu looks like Google adsense.

The menu started really fancy... look at this site.. http://importerx.com see the menu.. I just wanted to keep it simple this time.

if it looks like Google adsense and I am on the right track, the site is not meant to be "corporate looking", I just want people to fee comfortable clicking around. because of the nature of the site. But if it was any other kind of site I would do it more like you suggest. I want it to be like http://eclipse.org or http://php.net

Originally it was not intended to be catchy. Or anything like that, it was meant to be simple... but yet the feel would be much than that.

Quote:

I am not sure about this, do you have any resource that says the menu should be centered to support your suggestion?

Quote:

I will have to agree with you. I haven't dedicated much to this. until the site is totally the way it needs to be, I don't want visitor to see a non-fished site when they arrive. It is finished supposedly but I need the improvements that we are discussing at this point
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

GoWeb wrote:

I don't see how this is relevant to the design of the site.
  • GoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
GoWeb wrote:

I don't see how this is relevant to the design of the site.

Sorry, my mistake.
  • mazarebacha
  • Born
  • Born
  • mazarebacha

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not very attract your color,..but good site!
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi

Post 3+ Months Ago

mazarebacha wrote:
I'm not very attract your color,..but good site!

thanks! the colors were changed from the original colors...
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys I was wandering if you guys are able to click/navigate on the top menu links, I was using a friend's computer and for some odd reason it was not loading the links. It works fine on my 2 computers. I was wandering if you have any problems navigating from top menu? on IE or FF
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
GoWeb wrote:

http://cjax.net
The page rank is now 2 :D , I did invested some money on it, and time as well,

what do you guys think of the end result?

I am also looking for people to exchange link with to get better page rank, note that that page has to be related
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Burner wrote:
site load very slowly. very silple desigh -site not imprest.

Just restarted the server, it should be fast now :) , the design is not made to impress, it is just some what slick and simple

thanks for the suggestion
- Carlos
  • ralf206
  • ralf206
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your website seems pretty interesting. I would recommend better color and bigger links for your website. You got great talent developing applications.
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi

Post 3+ Months Ago

ralf206 wrote:
Your website seems pretty interesting. I would recommend better color and bigger links for your website. You got great talent developing applications.

Thanks buddy, I will be looking into a bigger fonts :idea: good idea

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers