SITE REVIEW: Clan Site In The Making

• Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Lincolnshire, UK.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.

I'm in the process of making up the images I'm going to use for a gaming clan website I'm making.

This is what I have so far:

http://www.captainisakiller.co.uk/Layout_copy.jpg

Any advice/comments/criticism will be appriciated.

Thanks.

// EDIT: The site has since been updated to the new version, so if you visit the website before reading the full length of the thread, that's why it doesn't look like this. //
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm... I'm not so sure I really like the design and colour scheme. Is there a certain game the clan website is created for? There's not much to review on it yet. How about a website instead of a screenshot so I can review the User Friendliness, Layout, etc.
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory clan website.

There's nothing on it yet because I've only just started :wink:. I just saved what I had in PS as a JPEG.

I posted it on here because I was looking at it and I felt there was something missing, but could quite pick out what, so I wanted to see what other people thought, and try to improve it.

I'll post the site when I have it uploaded.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm... yes I agree. There is something missing, but I can't pick it out either! :lol:. I'm not into the colour scheme though. Usually; the common clan website colour scheme is Black, Maroon, and anything else that can blend in with those two colours.
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I concidered making it black, but I've made so many black websites in the past just for something to do, I thought I'd make a white one :P. I'll try different things, see what it looks like.

I think the title image looks lost.
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've gone for a black look, and I do think it looks better. I've uploaded it aswell. Still very little on it though.

http://www.elc.captainisakiller.co.uk
  • Coderx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Coderx

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would be nice if it were a little bigger i think.
  • Lord Kai
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the design is rather interesting. I think its cool because it simple. I think it looks good and the only thing that is missing is content. Lay it on the site add a little bit of content and it sould be cool. Anothing thing that might make it seem more full is if you widen it a bit. I'ld also suggest placing the navigation bar on the left and in place of where it is now put some scrolling text like "Welcome to Clan Sith - JEDI MIND TRICKS - (Date and Time)." Something like that would make it better in my opinion. If you take me my advice PM so i can see how it turned out.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes. I like that black one. Looks real nice :D! I also love that intro. Keep up the great work :thumbsup:
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Funny_Fuzz. Glad someone likes the intro, I've got very little knowledge of Flash, and that's probably the best looking flash thing I could make :lol:

I'm going to be updating it tonight, and uploading the changes.

I took Lord Kai's suggestion, and I've put the navigation down the side, and added a marquee. It means the site is wider aswell now.

Thanks for everyones input.
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right, I've uploaded the updated version. Still no contents, I'm leaving that until I've actually got the clan up and running.

I've only updated the News page, I'm going to leave the other pages until I start adding content. So you can see the updated version on the news page, but every other page is how it was before. Suppose you can use it for comparison.

http://www.elc.captainisakiller.co.uk

(I'm waiting to see if the clan is a sucess before getting a sepertate domain for it. I'm just using a sub-domain on my bands website until then).
  • samohtwerdna
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is a little hard to review at this point. I'm not crazy about scrolling text especially when the font is small and with high contrast (white over black) it tends to be fuzzy and can give me a headache. You could try making the text bold and gray, or a redish color.

I'm curious if your using an html editor to generate the content?

Your use of CSS is minimal. I would probably use CSS rather than html tables for your design. When you zoom in your site breaks up into seperate block, rather than increasing fluidly.

However, the elements are visually soothing, maybe a little soft for a clan site, but still, nice looking!

I also think the site is a little small. (my res 1024 X 728)
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the input samohtwerdna.

I code the entire thing myself in Notepad. My CSS is minimal because my knowledge of it is minimal. If I knew how to use CSS for layout as apose to tables, then I would do so. I've just finnished school and have 7 weeks until I start college, so I intend to get learning it.

I designed it to fit 800x600 res. It still does fill the page when in 800x600, but I made an error when creating the images, which is why they aren't the right size, and whenever I make them larger, they lose quality. So I'm leaving it as it is. It's big enough to fit the contents on so I personally don't see is as a majour setback.

I'll take your advice about the scrolling text.

Thanks again.

//EDIT

You're right about the scrolling text, it does give you a headache looking at it. Suppose I didn't really look at it hard enough before, because I already knew what it said.
  • samohtwerdna
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess the main question is, what res will your target audience most likely be using?

The size is not a huge issue - only something to consider.
W3schools has a pretty good intro to CSS if your looking for a place to get started. There is also a thousand other CSS sites that will blow your mind away - but for a quick example of the power of CSS I suggest going through the CSS Zen Garden.
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay. Thanks a lot. That'll help me get started quiter. :D
  • Otti
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Otti

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks a little plain.. whats game is your clan for?
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's for Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory.

I'm starting the contents now.
  • Otti
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Otti

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool is that game any good?
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a briliant game, especially as it's free. http://www.enemy-territory.com is where you get it from if you want it. You need to register to download it.
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right, got some content on it. Hope that makes it easier to review. Still no complete, but at least has something on it.

Test the application form if you wish, just add in the comment field that it's a test.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

About the marquee giving headaches and stuff, why don't you just slow it down? Using the "Scroll delay" command in the marquee. So it would be something like this:
Code: [ Select ]
<marquee scrolldelay="90">Text, Text, Text</marquee>
90 is the default number for scroll delay. The higher the delay/number, the slower it gets. Hope that helps!

Oh, by the way; I was just wondering: How much are you paying for that domain?
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for that.

£7 I think, for the domain name. If you mean for the http://www.captainisakiller.co.uk package that i'm on, then i'm paying £40/year. 500mb disk space, 10GB bandwidth, 2 mysql, all the stuff. PM me for more details if you want them.
  • CoDandChips
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Crawley, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing I have noticed about the site is that the clan tag ( |elC| ) is in blue and black whereas you have a red and black colour scheme. That is the only thing that looks out of place to me.
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a fair point. I never gave it much thought before :lol:. The websitw was made in kinda a rush, because you need a website to register the clan. Decided to redesign the site. I wasn't happy with the look anyway, thought it looked too plain.
  • ZiNNiZ
  • ZiNNiZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a nice layout, but you could add 1 more blog to make it even better, but thats just my opinion
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've scrapped the old site. Decided it looked boring and plain. New version on the go. Not got contents at the moment, I'm working on the contents right now.

Same url, http://www.elc.captainisakiller.co.uk/

What do y'all think? :)

I'm putting a bit more thought into this one, because I don't have to rush it.
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

And another thing...I'm trying to code the entire thing to XHTML standards, so if anyone happens to review the code, if you see any slip-ups, could you please point them out to me. Thanks.
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the layout , i would prefer if it was centered. i like the color scheme a lot , and that glowing effect reminds me of moonlight :lol:
Nice job !
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks sana. I'm still updating it. I've only just learnt CSS. Infact, I learnt it as I was making that page that is complete. So I'm a little slow with it, but I'm getting there :wink:. Hopefully by tonight there will be a fair bit on it.

At the moment I'm just trying to get it valid on the w3 validator, but I'm getting some results that I don't quite understand. Have a look: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elc.captainisakiller.co.uk%2Findex.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=%28detect+automatically%29

It's says that my <html>, <body> and <head> tags are wrong. I don't get it. Any advice?
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

From what i see , your codings are all right. But i think you missed the </head> after the title, but that does not matter much. I can not see anything wrong with the coding , but ask for a mod help , maybe i am missing something.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 36 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers