SITE REVIEW: Counter-Strike Clan Website

• Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone. I've recently created a website for my Counter-Strike Clan. (Counter-Strike is an Online Shooting Game). I'm mainly looking for design reviews, but anything else is just fine. Any comments, critism, suggestions, etc is welcome.

The website is not fully finished, for the only thing there is the design. Once I get a few good reviews, I may add some content and pages.

Note: Since I my website is just in a folder of my other website; it may be moved to a real domain name if needed/wanted.
Thanks in Advance!

The Link:
http://www.skizzers.org/maroon/Scorp/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• CoDandChips
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Crawley, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I quite like the basic layout, simple to navigate and easy to find what you want... and a large "main body" area is great too.

Suggestions:

> When making your links, make the table cells change colour when you hover.
> Get rid of that much white on the page, and bring in more of the maroon.
> Add images to your table cell backgrounds so it doesn't all look so square.

One thing I always try and make sure of is that enlarging the font size doesn't screw up the layout of the page, and yours doesn't.. so I'm guessing that is well written coding on your part!

You don't seem to have any topics missing from your links bar, but there is quite a few so make sure your content pages are filled out before going live, otherwise it may look a bit spaced and empty.

Lastly, try and liven up your header image, it looks a bit bland at the moment. Pop over to a CS forum and ask for an image to be made, normally a lot of people would jump at the chance to show of their PSP skills!

It's looking good Fuzz, update this thread when you have some more content on the site so I can have another peek! Have fun editing!
  • Aftermath
  • Aftermath

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice layout. Great for a clan site.

I also think the banenr is bland. There is an awful lot of gray and white there. If you were to make a pattern background it may look better. Also on the top left corner of the content area is a black line. I don't know if its just me, but it seems out of place.
  • bee3902
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bee3902

Post 3+ Months Ago

I checked out your site. The initial layout looks nice and clean so it should navigate well. I agree with the other posts that the header is quite dark - and is even a bit hard to see because there is not enough contrast. The logo is a tad fuzzy as well.

I really like the maroon color you pulled in for the separator strip. Perhaps you could pull in that color in some of the body areas for impact?

I'll check back in the future once your links and content are up.

:bday: Meg
  • victor_p77
  • Student
  • Student
  • victor_p77

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with the other posts to the banner is to dar you can barely see the the picture of the counter-terrorists. If thats wat they are lol. Uhmm and where it says Events you should make that white a shade of gray. Maybe like the one under "Admin Login". Other than that it looks really Good.
  • kennethtan
  • Born
  • Born
  • kennethtan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a fan of counter strike! I like your site. Maybe you can try php language or convert the site to asp code. This will save a lot of time because the website will be automated.

Additional, you may add " copyright 2005. then your domain name, all right reserved" at the bottom of your site.

Good luck.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actaully, my website is PHP.

Thank you everyone so much for your tips, suggestions, comments and constructive critism. It's helped a heap!

Quote:
When making your links, make the table cells change colour when you hover.

Yes I'll be doing that.

Quote:
Additional, you may add " copyright 2005. then your domain name, all right reserved" at the bottom of your site.

Great Idea! Thanks!

Quote:
I agree with the other posts to the banner is to dar you can barely see the the picture of the counter-terrorists

I noticed this when I got the picture of the Counter-Terrorists, because their uniform is black and the background is black. I'll try make it lighter.
Thanks very much everyone! I'll update this thread when I've got a bit of content and I've done what you've all said.
Thanks again!
  • Rambosko
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rambosko

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol... wish I could do PHP, something I really need to learn.

Suggestions

I would add a larger margin of about 12px to the links in the left navigation. and perhaps the main body of the website!!

I have to agree with the other posts, that the banner could be improved!

Good luck :)
  • noa
  • noa
  • Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that you should make the top banner more intresting. Right now it is very bland. All it is is text and a image. Maybe you should blend some images together so it looks more interesting.
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah the top banner is pretty lame and I know you could come up with something pretty creative.. Remember this is CS not HL... If you need any help you can always just post here or IM me and I can help you in real time...

I'm not a fan of the layout at all, but I can see how you could like it... Ever mess with flash any? you can download the free trial and do some tuts for buttons :D Or just anything to spice it up...
  • Frostbyt3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Corpus Christi, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks pretty good. I'd make more use of the space thats around the outside, at least give it maybe a pattern background that repeats.

Navigation is easy, and so is content display. All the clan websites I see are hard to navigate through which makes it extremely tough since all the buttons are usually such small text I have to turn down my resolution to read it.

I also hope you plan on using php than basic html. It'll help in the long run. :)

7/10
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Remember this is CS not HL
Yes, but Counter-Strike is related to Half-Life, and they are also by the same creaters. It also uses the same things (Graphics, Physics Engine, etc).
Quote:
I also hope you plan on using php than basic html
Yea. I will when I get further into the website.
Quote:
Ever mess with flash any?
I actually have, though I'm not a genius with it. I can't do Actionscripting, so that's a rather disadvantage of Flash. I find it really hard to insert images from places into a flash file - and also be able to embed that picture with the rest of it. Otherwise, things will disappear behind it...
Quote:
All it is is text and a image. Maybe you should blend some images together so it looks more interesting.
Actually, it's two images, and I lightened the Counter-Terrorists a bit, so you should be able to see them a lot easier now.
Quote:
I would add a larger margin of about 12px to the links in the left navigation
I don't really understand what you mean...
  • Frostbyt3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Corpus Christi, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I would add a larger margin of about 12px to the links in the left navigation
I don't really understand what you mean...

He means put soem space besides the side of the screen and the text on the navigation. It's too close to the side.
  • tutszone
  • tutszone
  • Loc: 127.0.0.1

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is OK and the banner is also OK but you can make it more good. As said above I also agree with all the points.
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Yes, but Counter-Strike is related to Half-Life, and they are also by the same creaters. It also uses the same things (Graphics, Physics Engine, etc).
Yup, that's the definition of a mod alright A+ for you... And a high five... Beh reguardless it's not needed... It in no way shows signs of anywhere near "hardkore" yeah with a K because that's the group of kids you chill with right? Sadly enough I do too... Anyway drop Gordon it looks terrible, there I said it... enough beating around the bush...

Quote:
I actually have, though I'm not a genius with it. I can't do Actionscripting, so that's a rather disadvantage of Flash. I find it really hard to insert images from places into a flash file - and also be able to embed that picture with the rest of it.Otherwise, things will disappear behind it...
Hmm this isn't really and issue like you think it is... Very simple and actionscript isn't like coding at all really... It's very simple, you'll notice the more you mess with flash you'll see that "ok I need this stop() here so it won't repeat" and then it will build... It's really easy actually here is what you should do. Think of an idea or theme for a website... Hell use what you've got so far... Now make this into a flash site.. When you don't know what actionscript you need to do whatever it is you want done try google... If that fails post here or post on another site that is very actionscript helpful.. There are tons of people out there that can't wait to help you with your project.. You have to remember some poeple like helping people :)

Quote:
Actually, it's two images, and I lightened the Counter-Terrorists a bit, so you should be able to see them a lot easier now.
Sad thing is I can't tell a difference from last night.. Reguardless it needs fixed and the specifics don't make you look cool so please don't try to correct me...

Also a very good point was brought up to get the menu off the side... Very annoying... Here's my clan site http://www.area51gaming.com/ take some tips from there...
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow! That's a really impressive site! How do you manage to get your information and stats?
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK. I've added content, a few pages, and a bit of PHP coding on it. I'm working on the new banner so please do not keep telling me "The Banner is bland" or "The Banner needs Improvement!". I'm working on it now. It should be done soon...
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

hah now the menu jumps on rollover :)
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

HUH?!?
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Lincolnshire, UK.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd bump up the cellpadding for the contents table, so the text doesn't appear to be merged with the border.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah... thanks!
  • flame5
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • flame5

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think the design too wide, narrow it down a little and maybe center it. i think you need to make the nav bar a bit more pleasing.
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Scratch it.. Just start over... You're not making much progress anyway. Start with something more organized. I know you can come up with something awesome :) Just need to start over.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok. I'm working on a new one that I think is MUCH BETTER. I hope you guys also agree. I'll post the link when it's done, or when I think it's appealling for you all.
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looking forward to seeing your progress
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK. New web design up and running :D. Every page in the link bar at the top of the page is working, except for "Ranking". It will be done later. I hope you guys enjoy & like my new creation. Enjoy!

http://www.skizzers.org/maroon/Scorp/
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Lincolnshire, UK.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it. I think the colours in this one are much better.

I noticed that the table at the top increases in height when you hover over the links. Wasn't sure if it was deliberate or not, so I thought I'd point it out.

On the home page, the 'clan wars' and 'evens' images I'm not too keen on. It brings a 4'th font to the page, and looks a little inconsistant. It may look pretty cool with the font you used in the title perhaps.

Also not sure if it's deliberate...You've got 'Latest News' on the home page in Times New Roman, and the rest of the page isn't, and neither are any of the headers on other pages.

I still think the cellpadding needs to be increased for the main contents :P. (If it messes up the layout of the entire page by increasing the cellpadding, just create another table within the cell for the contents, make it a little smaller than the actual cell, and align+valign it center).

Overall it looks great though. I like the title image. Muct better than the last one. (By the way, what texture did you use for it? 'Cause I like the look of it. Did you use Photoshop to make the image?) I also like the yellow text on the grey background. Looks very nice.

Seems to be coming along quite nicely :lol:
  • fourtytwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

A Hell of a lot better than the last one...

1: increase cell padding
2: ditch the font that says "couter strike clan" it looks terrible...
3: Under clan wars... do something with that.. that contrast behind the title sucks...
4: back to the "CS clan" title... whatever you do don't do that.. don't have it faded back there like that... Use swish or something to do some cool subtle effect that loops and doesn't look terrible... something very subtle if possible.
5: are the hyphens that are floating by at the top, are they supposed to be lagging like that? Not fluid? If you're going for fluid it looks terrible up there, but if you're going for that effect it looks good. I can't decided on that part up top I would like the hyphens either way.

Big improvment!
  • mackiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

On Firefox on mac when you hover over the home link the table gets smaller. Took a quick peak at your source and could not find any reason for this.

But its a good start.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea I used Photoshop. The Macromedia Flash MX seemed to have stuffed up the quality of the logo though... It's not really a texture. I just messed around with the settings and filters.

Ah... thanks for pointing these things out everyone. I haven't configured the website for Firefox yet. I can't really do it either untill I get Firefox, which may be soon.

Quote:
Also not sure if it's deliberate...You've got 'Latest News' on the home page in Times New Roman, and the rest of the page isn't, and neither are any of the headers on other pages.

Hmm... it seems my FTP stuffed up again and didn't upload. It's meant to use this really cool font in orange (as a picture).

fourtytwo, What do you mean by "Don't Fade it back"?

Anyway, thanks for the comments everyone. Anyone know how to make .htaccess display who you're logged in as?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 64 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers