SITE REVIEW: Counter-strike Info/Hints/Tips site

• Rapt0r
  • Student
  • Student
  • Rapt0r

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, I just pretty much finished the main content/layout of csaddict.com: http://www.csaddict.com/

This is a counter-strike source (game) website. I want it to cater to people who like to play the game and or are new to the game. I'm looking for criticism and information on such things as:

Loading time?
Look and layout?
Does it work correctly or is compatible with most people's computers?

Also, anything else of course :) Any advice on how to improve it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I never got past the 'Loading Intelligence Data' bit. Took an absolute age, at least 2 minutes before I quit on 34% :( and i've got a 1mg BB connection :!: Is there a problem?

Cheers, Prime
  • ryguy4377
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ryguy4377
  • Loc: U.S.A.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everything is jammed at the top, and takes awhile to load. But I like the setup. :)
  • Rapt0r
  • Student
  • Student
  • Rapt0r

Post 3+ Months Ago

I figured it might take a little too long to load....but it shouldn't get stuck at all. I don't know why it would do that. I'll see if anyone else has problems with that. Thanks.

Also, ryguy what exactly is all jammed up at the top?

Thanks for the replies so far. :)
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went for a cup of coffee, came back and managed to gain access :D

Quote:
Also, ryguy what exactly is all jammed up at the top?

I think you've made that fatal mistake of developing/checking your website in IE :?: :roll: Bad move :? :cry: If you look at your website through Firefox (and probably others ... ) it doesn;t display properly :cry:

You always best off checking your website in Firefox. Unlike IE it lacks any intelligence and will display exactly what you type. IE compensates for mistakes in your code by guessing at what it thinks you mean. Moving forward you should properly check your development in Firefox then change bits and pieces until it works in IE.

Cheers, Prime ...
  • Commchex
  • Commchex

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't get past the loading screen. Its taking way to long, if you want some visitors to view the site, cut that down bigtime.
  • Rapt0r
  • Student
  • Student
  • Rapt0r

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I modified my website size in a major way. It should be down by about half the filesize it was. I also changed it to a different setup and everything.

Can someone let me know how fast it loads now please? :lol:

And also other comments/advice is welcome.

Thanks.
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

It loads faster :) but still displays everyting in the top half of the screen :( (firefox)

Cheers, Prime ... :shock: :D
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same here:
http://www.paradigmwebdesigns.com/images/csaddict_screen.jpg

As a fellow CS 1.6 and CS:S player, I'd be VERY interested in seeing the rest of it, but you need to code for more than just IE.

C.C.
  • Rapt0r
  • Student
  • Student
  • Rapt0r

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok thanks guys. That helps me out a lot. Although I have no idea how to code flash for firefox, but that picture let me know what is going on.

It looks like it's not scaling correctly.

Oh the joys of cross-browser compatibility.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

IE is about as far from W3 standards compliant as you can get, but while cross browser issues can be a major PITA, it's truly worth the effort to make sure that your pages use valid code.

Rapt0r wrote:
...I have no idea how to code flash for firefox...
My guess is that the code you used to embed the movie is browser specific to IE, and fails with both Netscape 7.2 and FireFox 1.5.0.4.
  • Me2
  • Me2
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately your site takes so long to load that I think people will instantly go on to something else. If load time could cut down that would be fantastic.
  • CorNut
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Eugene, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

definately takes too long to load, and with my setup a lot of it is cut off (running firefox like some of the others who already posted)
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOW nice flash work!
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess many of you are still using either dialup or idsl or something, the movie only takes 8-10 seconds to load here (comcast cable), but I am still unable to see the full site using Netcaper 7.2...it's not even loading all of the source code...weird.
  • Rapt0r
  • Student
  • Student
  • Rapt0r

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok ok. How about this site. I used a totally different template, and the file size is even more reduced.....but is it still loading slowly? Also, does it work in Firefox or Netscape now?:

--------> http://www.csaddict.com/

8)
  • CodyRo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally think you should be able to choose HTML or Flash version because most people don't have patience for it to load.

On first glance I think the site looks too small (am I the only one?) not sure what you can do to fix it without making it look odd though. Reading the text (hint / tips etc..) is kind of a pain in the butt because it's not wide enough.

The Flash forums I think you should ditch for something more traditional like IPB. (I despise phpBB, no offence ozzu!)
  • Neuteboomc
  • Born
  • Born
  • Neuteboomc
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many things about this one.

1. This is a beautiful website. If you made this you should definatly sell it.

2. If you bought this website template then you really shouldnt apply it to your current idea. I like the main theme of a counter strike help site but the information isnt really relevant to what gamers really need. Im a counter strike player myself (won 3 lan tournaments and a mousepad :-) ) and the information was kinda pointless. YOU CAN DEFINATLY APPLY YOURSELF MORE!

3. Finally, all you ll get is newbies to the game on that site. I mean if you want that then sure, take it. But eventually people will get bored of it and leave. My personal advice is put secret tips or soemthign that peopel REALLY want to know. I.E in 1.6 the m4 burst can be perfected by firing 4 shots and after the 2nd shot you drag your mouse in a downward left motion to stop the recoil.

I could help you with a guide if you want
  • Rapt0r
  • Student
  • Student
  • Rapt0r

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I know what you're saying CodyRo. I wish I could make it bigger, but then it doesn't fit on people running 1024X768 resolution. And, according to the steam survey, that's what most people still use.

Neuteboomc, if you want to take a little time to help me with a guide I wouldn't mind. I'd appreciate it (this is for counter-strike source though, I don't know if you play that a lot?). But I do kind of want this site to be geared towards newbies to average players. Just to help them with some of the commands, maybe some terminology, some aiming techniques, etc.

Well, thx for the tips.

I guess for the information I'm trying to provide a flash site isn't really the best platform.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site design looks good. It's a little small for me, and I do agree that you should probably offer an HTML version for those people out there that are against flash (Because there are).

You also might want to consider adding in a scrollbar so that you can scroll through the text without a mousewheel.
  • ThomasB
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ThomasB

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love your site, you are very talented.
  • Birmingham
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Birmingham, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

being a c&c addict of the past, it's good to see your site, although i didn't see as much as i would have liked to see because the intro was slow and there was no "skip intro" option, so i left early.
  • resolva
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • resolva
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice theme for a counter strike website.

Did you buy this template or get it made? :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers