SITE REVIEW: Create Calvin and Hobbes Images

• devdive
  • devdive

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all,
I am pretty new to this forum. Could you guys please take a look at my site - microsite, actually - at http://www.devdive.com/calvin/ and let me know what you think?

It may not be a useful site, but it's just a page for fun. It lets you add your own text in the C&H font to a C&H image. No big deal here, but then again, I thought it is a fun tool to play with.

Do you get the purpose of the site as soon as you visit? Or are you left wondering what the site is for? :roll:

I know I am using pixel sizes in the CSS, and I have done that deliberately. I will probably change it to em-based if you reviewers think it needs to be changed.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I do like Calvin and Hobbes, but I don't think you'll find many visitors to your site. As you said, there's really no purpose other than being just for fun. And really, it's not even all that much fun. You also really have a lack of images to use.

My primary question to you is if those are actual Bill Watterson images did you get permission to use them and remove the copyright? Or are you Bill Watterson and just provided this for fun. Bill Watterson retired and I don't think he'd make a site like this anyway, so I think you might be risking copyright problems unless you drew those yourself.
  • samp
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • samp

Post 3+ Months Ago

not 100% sure what im doing on this site, but its funky all the same,

grpahics look great, illustratrations are cool

well done

7/10
  • Ballena
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Ballena
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like those type of sites. It looks clean and it's easy to use.

8/10 good job.
  • tylerdurden
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:

My primary question to you is if those are actual Bill Watterson images did you get permission to use them and remove the copyright? Or are you Bill Watterson and just provided this for fun. Bill Watterson retired and I don't think he'd make a site like this anyway, so I think you might be risking copyright problems unless you drew those yourself.

you're right, but I think the likeliness of that actually happening is very slim.

I like your site, clean and simple..although a few more options (in creating the wallpapers) would be nice :)

awesome to finally see someone using some css ! :)
  • ashley
  • Loc: Newfoundlandia

Post 3+ Months Ago

These sites can actually get to be pretty popular. It's amazing how fun people can find them to be. I never understood it myself, but then again, I'm well versed in the means of photoshop and such programs.

I never saw the 'add text' button immediately. I had expected it to be below.

It might be easier if the user could add the text that's currently in the text box. I tried to do that just to see what it looked like, and was confused when it didn't work.
  • FettesPS
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • FettesPS
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool concept, I like it. The layout is good too. My only suggestion is to change the font on the Update/Delete text buttons. Its very hard to distinguish.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers