SITE REVIEW: CycleSpot.com

• Quasimotor
  • Quasimotor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,
SITE NAME: CycleSpot
SITE URL: http://www.CycleSpot.com
SITE GENRE: Harley Davidson & Metric motorcycle parts.

I'm a total noob, I've been working on this site for about a year, and finally got some professional help with the PHP aspects.

Please give me your thoughts, what's good, what's bad and the ugly. Be gentle, I didn't know what HTML stood for a year ago. I've been doing what I can with the SEO aspects, but PR 5 seems not enough....

P.S. I hope it's ok to post a commercial site here. I am truly looking for input, not spamming. Also if you get a chance, would you look at my online forum (links on the main page) It's missing something, and I can't quite figure out what.

Thanks
Jim
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome to Ozzu !
The site's baner is not attractive , althogh the layout is well aligned and centered. I would suggest gathering all the navigation to one side and other site info on the right hand side. Otherwise site looks pro , but do consider the banner ! Best of Luck .
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, You've got a motorcycle website. Problem is, it looks like a flower website. Other than the picture you have on the front page, I see nothing that would make me think it's a motorcycle website.

Not trying to sound harsh, just trying to give constructive criticism: Baby blue? What self respecting Harley rider is going to be cought dead reading a baby blue site? You need more black, and chrome, and flames, and tatoo flash.
I know it sounds stereotypical, but i call them how I see them.
  • Quasimotor
  • Quasimotor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I appreciate the input, and I agre the banner is lack luster. I'm not very capable with photoshop, and that was the best I could muster. I will change the navigation and information around in the next few days.

As for the colors, I actually went a different way with this site for a couple of reasons (I'm not trying to defend my color coordination, just give you my thought process). Our major competitors are of the non-flamed and blacked out pages, the little guys are skulls, flames, chains etc.

We don't only sell HD parts, we also offer metric cruiser parts and accessories. My customer base is middle aged affluent males that are just looking for a decent price, not a bunch of B.S. I had a darker blue on the site before, and I appreciate the baby blue comment.

I just hate to just throw up orange and black page and look like every small parts site on the web though. I guess what is a happy medium in your opinion? I am truly of the color and design impaired.

P.S. The red, white and blue was a slight attempt at keeping patriotic colors on the site, most bikers are very flag oriented.

Thanks again for your input
Jim
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, I think I was exagerating a bit when I mentioned the flames and chrome stuff, I had a few beers last night :)

Still, it just doesn't feel like a motorcycle site to me at all.

Red and blue are two colors that are very hard to get working together on the web. I generally avoid using that combination like the plague.

It definitely needs to be more motorcycle-ish. Maybe make a classy chrome badge type logo over a dark red field for the header. Something that stands out and says "This site is about Motorcycles". Nothing too gaudy.

If you've got some bike photos or parts photos, start looking through them for anything that could be used for backgrounds or just "flash" to make the site a bit more lively. Not too much, you don't want it to be distracting.

I might go with a dark red, black and light grey/white color theme on this. Not too much black though, I'd just use it for borders and such, just for a bit of contrast.
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

ScienceOfSpock wrote:
yeah, I think I was exagerating a bit when I mentioned the flames and chrome stuff, I had a few beers last night :)
:lol:

Still, it just doesn't feel like a motorcycle site to me at all.

ScienceOfSpock wrote:
Red and blue are two colors that are very hard to get working together on the web. I generally avoid using that combination like the plague.

I agree , red and blue are the typical colors that everyone uses now.. Somethings its sickening to look over the same color combinations again and again. Try keeping something unique , so that you ll stand out in the business and this way you will spawn more customers.
ScienceOfSpock wrote:
It definitely needs to be more motorcycle-ish. Maybe make a classy chrome badge type logo over a dark red field for the header. Something that stands out and says "This site is about Motorcycles". Nothing too gaudy.

Definitely , i suggest the easiest way would be changing the banner and adding a motocyle , or maybe perhaps its shadow and some effective effects . The banner is the first thing that crosses a visitors eye and an impressive banner would automatically make the site stand and say " motocyles !! "
  • fire_lady
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • fire_lady

Post 3+ Months Ago

Site layout is good but it doesnt fit the content.I think it should be more masculine darker than sky blue more motorcycle design or images.

Good luck...
  • Quasimotor
  • Quasimotor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you all very much! I am no design wizard, and I will need to get professional help with a newer banner, but I do value your input and think you are all correct.

Now I just have to fix it!
Jim
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Loc: George Mason University

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im a noob at webdesigning myself as well. I say that its a great layout and that very good for what your topic is. Keep the site updated alot. As long as you follow the basic webmaster simple rules the site should be awsome!
  • wholesalechecklist
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • wholesalechecklist

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very good layout, basically because it is simple and easy to navigate. My only thing to say is change the link title "Profile" to "About Us" or something of the sort. Maybe its just me, but "Profile" could be many things so its better to be specific.
  • Quasimotor
  • Quasimotor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,
I wanted to get some feedback on the completely new layout, and navigation.

Since last post the site is now PR5, and I am also wondering where would be a good place to possibly sell it?

SITE NAME: CycleSpot
SITE URL: http://www.CycleSpot.com
SITE GENRE: Harley Davidson & Metric motorcycle parts.

Thanks
Jim
  • waffles
  • Student
  • Student
  • waffles

Post 3+ Months Ago

The drop down navigation thing you have at the bottom hangs outside the content area. That definatly needs to be fixed.

The favicon looks like a rip off of the Microsoft logo. If you're going to have one, make one that fits your site.

Your right column starts to split while I'm scrolling. And while not a problem, I just think it's weird and kind of cool.

I don't think the blue links are that much of a problem. But there's something else I don't like about the navigation. You have a motercycle site, so it's pretty obvious that you're not going to sell me AA batteries or electrical equiptment for my stereo. I don't think you need to specify that each of those is for motercycles. Even if people don't get it, the product description should be enough.

Finally, you have some more navigation at the bottom. I almost didn't see it, and only did because I was ripping the site apart to find everything. There's no reason to seperate your navigation.
  • Quasimotor
  • Quasimotor

Post 3+ Months Ago

waffles wrote:
The drop down navigation thing you have at the bottom hangs outside the content area. That definatly needs to be fixed.

The favicon looks like a rip off of the Microsoft logo. If you're going to have one, make one that fits your site.

Your right column starts to split while I'm scrolling. And while not a problem, I just think it's weird and kind of cool.

I don't think the blue links are that much of a problem. But there's something else I don't like about the navigation. You have a motercycle site, so it's pretty obvious that you're not going to sell me AA batteries or electrical equiptment for my stereo. I don't think you need to specify that each of those is for motercycles. Even if people don't get it, the product description should be enough.

Finally, you have some more navigation at the bottom. I almost didn't see it, and only did because I was ripping the site apart to find everything. There's no reason to seperate your navigation.

The Drop Down navigation seems to appear differently in idfferent browsers. May I ask what browser you used to vuew the page so I can dupicate this?

I'm not sure what favicon your speaking of, please be more specific.

I've not seen the righ column split yet, again is this a browser specific issue?

The categories are name in suchs a way as to aid SEO, without the descriptive names, someone looking for "motorcycle Handlebars" instead of Wild 1 Handlebars might not get my link in the engines. I know it looks tacky, but do a google for "Motorcycle Handlebars" and see what I mean, then do a search for "Wild 1 Chubby handlebars" and again you will see why. I've tried to cover my keywords with descritive category names, and google seems to like it for now.

The bottom of page navigation was placed because depending on the screen, it is more obvious, than the mapped navigation in the header image.

I appreciate the input, I am confused on a couple of the issue you reported as they don't show that way on my browser.

Thanks
Jim
  • waffles
  • Student
  • Student
  • waffles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Firefox at 1280x1024.

Do you see the grey dragon on the black background when you visit this site? That's a favicon. Yours looks like the Microsoft butterfly thing.

And the splitting isn't a problem at all, just something I thought was interesting and cool. So don't worry about that.
  • Quasimotor
  • Quasimotor

Post 3+ Months Ago

waffles wrote:
Firefox at 1280x1024.

Do you see the grey dragon on the black background when you visit this site? That's a favicon. Yours looks like the Microsoft butterfly thing.

And the splitting isn't a problem at all, just something I thought was interesting and cool. So don't worry about that.
OK I think I got the drop down fixed, the problem is at a lower res it's going to shift the other side.

The Favicon issue I am still a bit lost on, are you speaking of our logo?

Jim
  • waffles
  • Student
  • Student
  • waffles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Favicon circled in red

• eoran
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • eoran
  • Loc: Mexico City

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe the banner at the head needs improvement; try leaving the text in solid colour rather than using the bevel and emboss effects...

The favicon is a HUGE problem. It is an exact copy of the MSN logo; its use is bad for many reasons: first of all, you're stealing property. Second, customers may believe your have a connection to MSN... and (this is my very personal opinion) it degrades your business.

I agree with those who have said the 'baby blue' in the links doesn't look good. If you're trying to prove patriotic, place an American flag in the footer or better yet, the symbol of the American eagle in a corner of the head banner --it IS an eagle, right? sorry, don't know :P

You should definitely adf more images. A flash menu under the head banner would be great --keeping in mind of course that you should also add a text menu in the footer for those browsers lacking the flash plug-in.

OH, IMPORTANT: Use a contact form rather than only publishing your email addresses --many people are kept from contacting a business because they are too lazy to login to their own email and sending you a message from it.

Other than that, I'd say it's good and WELL ORGANISED... the black background looks great.
  • Quasimotor
  • Quasimotor

Post 3+ Months Ago

waffles wrote:
Favicon circled in red

Ok I see now what the fav icon is. The one on the site is what came with the e-commerce software. Even the admin uses it. How do I go about changing this, and making it a universal for all pages (even the dynamic store)?
  • cyfarian
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • cyfarian

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quasimotor wrote:
OK I think I got the drop down fixed, the problem is at a lower res it's going to shift the other side.

The Favicon issue I am still a bit lost on, are you speaking of our logo?

Jim

The favicon is the little image that appears next to the URL in the address bar and on the tabs. I only see your favicon in FF, not IE, and it really does look like MSNs.
  • edrawing
  • Born
  • Born
  • edrawing

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think it's coolll but i recommend some animation , it's very static, and that picture in the middle is little deppressed
  • absolutes
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, it's certainly masculine now! I have a suggestion that you forgo some of the google ads if you can, they stretch the side tds way past the center one, so I have to scroll far past anything interesting to get to the bottom of the page.
I agree that a contact form is a good idea. You can find them for free at scriptsearch.com or sites like it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers