SITE REVIEW: Daniel Gilbey homepage

• danielgilbey
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Hampshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a feeling I'm going to get ripped apart here...

I'd just like some general feedback about my site.
If there are things that you really feel should be changed please let me know.
Enjoy...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• edbri871
  • edbri871

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice clean looking page. It does look a little amateur in terms of design and layout, but we all need to start somewhere.

The header images on each page are cool, and liven it up a bit. Maybe align the text to the left instead of centering it.

Brian
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice header image

I would stay away from centering main content. Align it to left.

Try to set up a more obvious navbar. It's pretty plain right now.

Set up a common look and feel for your site. Keep it consistent. Right now you don't seem to have one at all. You need a central focal point for your site. Each sub page I visited, my eyes wouldn't know where to focus first.

As for your fave links, if you're going to use images, try to keep them all the same size. If not set them up as text links. It would look alot better if they were all the same size. Try it out.

Don't forget your alt tags for your images!

Good keywords

Set up an external CSS to call up your fonts instead of an embedded font tag in your code

Good code writing tip: remove all the spaces in your document names. I found one so far titled "Your%20pictures.htm", the "%20" means there is a space. Try to stay away from spaces for document naming conversions. Good practise is to either put it all as one word or seperate the file names with dahses "-" or underscores "_" DO NOT USE SPACES, COMMAS OR PERIODS.

Good luck with the rest :)
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:
I would stay away from centering main content. Align it to left.

613flavah once again does a great job identifying problems and critiquing. But this particular comment definitely needs to be implemented asap. I agree with the sentiment that we all have to start somewhere, but particularly when you have lots of content like in the "Comedy" section, the information is troubling to read for the user centered... always go with align left when theres a lot of information.
  • danielgilbey
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for your comments thus far, I have 'fixed' a couple of issues, namely alignment of text...
Keep 'em coming..!
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

613Flavah already touched on everything (as usual :roll: ). I think basically what I dont see from your site is content definition. You need to make your menu stand out (first and foremost). It should be placed right under your header image. You also need to differentiate your header from your content from your footer, maybe some horizontal lines may do the trick. If you can, put a border around that google ad, because some sections, it looks like part of your content and it gets quite tricky. The site itself is rather good. Its simple and straight to the point. So kudos.

In closing, you'll have to revise your code, not only to meet W3C standards, but to eliminate bad html in general. You've included closing </input>'s in some parts, you dont need them, there's no such thing. So go over to http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fhomepage.ntlworld.com%2Fdaniel.gilbey%2F and fix up the bugs, it also caught some redundant <tr>'s and stuff. I have to say though, good job.
  • danielgilbey
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would just like to post a
BIG THANKYOU
to those of you who took the trouble to review my site, thanks again for your comments. I have modified things in line with points mentioned...
Check back soon...
  • MichaelJM
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MichaelJM

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site, But try to use a new font :wink:
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

some of the links are now very hard on the eyes to see.. the white text just isn't working with all of those images as-is.

It is standard to have the "Home" link on the left so, that kind of confused me.

You need some kind of background and/or border around your main content to create a focul point. Right now, I look at your page and my eyes are drawn straight to the bottom because of the images and motion etc. I think a good site for you to look at to get an idea of what I mean would be http://pushingthrough.com/ which in my opinon is simply superb.

In my personal opinion, the text is a bit light but, my monitor is also set up fairly light, so that may just be me.

Perhaps organizing the images on the bottom by size would give it a better, more balanced look. For instance, bigger images (height-wise) in the middle, smaller ones on the outside, if you insist on having different size images.

The counter on the bottom is maybe a little tacky looking because it's just in the middle of no-where and isn't really custom matched to the site or anything but, that's fine since it's a personal site, that's 100% your choice.

like your pharmacist joke btw :P
  • danielgilbey
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Noted : About to be remedied also, I wasn't too sure about the link images either...
Decided to get rid of the counter - google ads keep a note of page hits so... I'm also going to resize the fav websites bit too.

Thanks again for looking.
  • Szczypka
  • Loc: London, U.K

Post 3+ Months Ago

To me it looks way to plain.
  • lrcre8ive
  • Loc: MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the idea of your site....it's a great way to show off your pictures. But you could definately add alot to this site to make people keep coming back.

The biggest thing that stood out to me was that the main navigation was always moving up or down, and changing. Having a consistent layout is huge. Also, as mentioned before, you should try out different fonts. It is a bit plain right now.

I enjoyed checking out all your pics, but maybe a bit more color or background images will add to the overall appeal of your site!

Good luck....it is looking good so far! :)

Lisa
  • ktaylor
  • Born
  • Born
  • ktaylor

Post 3+ Months Ago

What does someone have to do to find you again!!!?I miss you and had to join this website just to write!! Email me and I'll send you that card!!!!Love me xxx :D
  • Ice Fox
  • Ice Fox
  • Loc: odessa tx

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is nice I do graphics so in time I may need to get in touch with you for some stock photos ;)
but the lay out is nice you can see the font and read the text nicly I think imo dude. I do think you shoud keep your text centred ;)
  • allshowcivic
  • allshowcivic
  • Loc: Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Add some styles, and you got something.
  • keef
  • keef
  • Loc: cambridge uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like me I see it you are at the early stages of web design. I liked the changed headers and like me you have stayed away from using too many cells and tables !!!
  • ad0beaddict
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i think u should get a border a round your header pic change background color change link colour and maybe put a little more information on your homepage i love the cat on your pictures thats cool lol
  • robinh4
  • robinh4

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love your homepage header and I think your welcome not is very very good and it makes people want to see the rest of your site. I also like the way you organized the pictures on the photo album page. The wallpapers are really neat.
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the header needs a border , otherwise it looks really good. The FF button is the best :D OTherwise the site looks simple and clean.
  • Martin
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Martin
  • Loc: Berlin

Post 3+ Months Ago

The pictures on top are really cool, you should definitely keep them just as they are, even though you could safely reduce their size from 55k to at least 15k without much degradation in order to speed up navigation.

The lower part of all pages need some rework in my opinion.

First of all, why not radically condense your text on the entry page?

"Welcome"
Sounds a little bit old fashioned, doesn´t it?

"Thanks for stopping by my corner of the web"
You already welcomed me, this should be enough

"please take your time to have a look around my site"
Oh, if time is needed to see your site, I might just leave...

"I think you'll find it quite interesting."
I will decide this myself.

"I'm currently trying to get a page devoted to random pictures"
Now this is finally the first real information!!

See what I mean?

It seems you have very good pictures, but very little to say. So why don't you try to switch to a more graphical, artistic site scheme instead of trying to fill the empty space with words? If your website is about pictures and artwork, use them! Get rid of these favorite website logos at front and make a series of cool looking small preview bullets of your own content, that invite to be clicked.

Good luck!

Martin
Asterisk PBX-Manager
web-coach.org
  • danielgilbey
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Martin wrote:

..............It seems you have very good pictures, but very little to say. So why don't you try to switch to a more graphical, artistic site scheme instead of trying to fill the empty space with words? If your website is about pictures and artwork, use them! Get rid of these favorite website logos at front and make a series of cool looking small preview bullets of your own content, that invite to be clicked.

Good luck!

Martin
web-coach.org

Okay - check this out now...
DG images
  • Martin
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Martin
  • Loc: Berlin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Daniel,

Congratulations, this is a huge improval!

These new navigation icons are really cute, well ordered and meaningfully named.

There are still some issues that could be improved, however, and please don´t get me wrong, I don´t want to be overly picky, but just giving some hints to make your site even better! :-)

1.) This entry page is a severe search engine blocker . If you want to be found on search engines you should remove this entry page completely.

2.) You seem to assume that everyone is viewing your page in a 1024x768 resolution. Even though it is safe to assume that 95% of all visitors have this monitor capability, many professionals prefere not to maximize their browser window in order to preserve desktop space, especially if the have very large displays Try to set your browser window size to a 800...900px screen width and look at your site: see what I mean? I would try to limit the minimum viewing area to about 800px width and automatically center the page when viewed with wider browser windows.

3.) On most subpages the navigation can only reached by scrolling down, which violates basic usability principles. If you want to keep the navigation in the lower part of the page (which is non-standard but acceptable in your case, because it looks less boring and because the navigation icons are catching attention due to their attractive design) you might decide to have a fixed-length page, so that navigation is still possible on 800x500 windows without scrolling. If this is not possible, I would strongly recommend to put navigation on top or on the left side, at least on all subpages.

4.) Correct your numerous HTML syntax violations. This helps to have a more consistent presentation on different browsers and improves display consistensy in general. See validator.w3.org/check

Greetings from Berlin and good luck!

Martin
Asterisk PBX-Manager
web-coach.org
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is the purpose of your site - is it just to show off your images? You only really seem to have one informational page (stock.htm) which is basically a links page to stock photography agencies. Are these your agencies? The reason I ask is because here are lots of references of "we", "our", etc.

The photos are good, yes but to be honest after seeing them there is nothing to keep me hanging around. You could perhaps tell us a little about what inspires your photography, how you got started and why you have this website? Give it a personal touch.

The front page is rather pointless to be honest. Clicking an Enter button on any website is one mouse-click more than is necessary.

Finally, do you offer services? If so, tell your audience what they are and how far you can go to accomodate them.

You have made very good improvements.
  • CyndicateDesigns
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I LOVE it! I really like the idea of putting the pics in on the rollover of the blank polaroids. You take gorgeous photography shots, too! The only thing I can see wrong with the site is when you are viewing one pic, then click to view another, the transition is off at times. I really like that last picture on portraits. You absolutely do amazing work. I definitely appreciate the photos since I, myself, have taken up photography.

All in all, your site is simple, clean looking, and easy to navigate. I like it.
  • danielgilbey
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the comments since my last post - at the time of uploading this to the web I was working on a 'bio' page to tell a little about me & my photography etc, this is now live.

As for the purpose of the site... Well, as it's a photography site (you may have noticed this) is pretty much to show off my images & work.

Most other photography sites I've looked at have very little text - and I was aiming for maximum simplicity (hopefully making the images stand out more).

The transition period of changing images is like toothache to me at the moment - I'm currently working on a flash script for the galleries so that the images scroll in a loop along the top & when there is a mouse over an image the 'full' size will be displayed (hope you know what I mean?) below.
Thanks again for the comments & taking time to look.
  • CyndicateDesigns
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

danielgilbey wrote:
Thanks for the comments since my last post - at the time of uploading this to the web I was working on a 'bio' page to tell a little about me & my photography etc, this is now live.

As for the purpose of the site... Well, as it's a photography site (you may have noticed this) is pretty much to show off my images & work.

Most other photography sites I've looked at have very little text - and I was aiming for maximum simplicity (hopefully making the images stand out more).

The transition period of changing images is like toothache to me at the moment - I'm currently working on a flash script for the galleries so that the images scroll in a loop along the top & when there is a mouse over an image the 'full' size will be displayed (hope you know what I mean?) below.
Thanks again for the comments & taking time to look.

[I feel] The best way you can do that is with actionscripting. you can find codes online such as actionscript.org or friendsofed.com. Let me know how you make out.
  • cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the DG images website for it's sheer simplicity. The only thing that I do not like is the fact that you have to scroll sideways on the "edible" page (I never like to do that). But the website is well laid out, nice navigation.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

danielgilbey wrote:

Photos on a site do not necessarily make it a photography site :roll: and there is more than one type of photography site mate :wink:
  • danielgilbey
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

cipher wrote:
I really like the DG images website for it's sheer simplicity. The only thing that I do not like is the fact that you have to scroll sideways on the "edible" page (I never like to do that). But the website is well laid out, nice navigation.

I only experience this effect when using FF browser - is this the browser you're using? Working on a solution currently, hopefully I'll have flash galleries up & running in a short space of time.

Thanks for looking :-D
  • danielgilbey
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

lionking wrote:
Photos on a site do not necessarily make it a photography site :roll: and there is more than one type of photography site mate :wink:

Thanks for pointing this out - much appreciated
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 39 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers