SITE REVIEW: Dave's Tech Blog

• Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is my personal web log that I recently started. It focuses on different technologies for the most part, hence the name. Keep in mind that I just started it very recently, so there is not a whole lot of content yet. Feel free to critique that against me if you want.

I designed the entire site in notepad, so it's all from my head, no sloppy code from web page builders. It's my first site to use entirely CSS for structure and layout. Let me know what you think, good or bad.

Dave's Tech Blog
  • alerik
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: People Republic of China

Post 3+ Months Ago

In general your site looks very clean, however i think there is still room for imrovement.

Try reducing the amount of text you put in the front page,summarise each article and you could add a link to see the full article in a pop-up window, or something similar.

Also your logo is not very appealing to the eye, maybe you should look into using a more detailed/realistic computer in the head logo. This will help your visitors remember you better.

Last if you use many articles on the same page consider using a back to top link, i just put the # symbol as the hyperlink address

I hope this will be useful for you and keep up the good work
  • dojo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Timisoara, Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Use justify for the text alignment. Drop the light grey italic texts. They are impossible to read. And work some more the header image. Although your site is coded so nicely it's not very atractive, and believe me, people don't care so much for coding, as they do for a site that looks beautiful. Time to tame Photoshop a bit :)
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, I made the banner in less than ten minutes, so yeah, I understand that it might not look to dashing yet. I still need training in graphic design, but I'm sure I will improve it later. That's what usually happens, my banner images look pretty bad when I first start a site, and over time I get different ideas, and eventually I have a nice header banner. :D I'm deffinitly adding a "back to top" link after every web log. I totally see that that is neccesary.

Anyone else? I would like some more quality reviews as I have done for others. :?
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There we go again...

See what I'm saying???

dubya:

Congrats, man! This proves my point that you don't need a forum, or a stupid google ad on the right side of the screen, or a lame flash intro to make a page look properly!

Quite on the contrary, THIS is what I call mature design!

Verdict: superb!
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

A great job Dubya. Comes off as what you'd expect a blog site to be, except you've added a lot of personal touches and the css work is top notch. Now lets lock and load! :wink:

Your menu buttons are too mini-me. Compare that to the links you have on the side, those stand out more than your menu does. So definitely an increase on that end would be good. The date for each article is too light, you dont "need" it to stand out, but it would be nice to have it more visible. Try using a deeper grey color. The articles themselves, as mentioned, definitely need to be trimmed down (in terms of overall length). You page just scroll's too far down. Maybe consider moving some of the articles into the archive within the near future.

.... I'll step outside the review for a sec and toss in a suggestion from previous experience trying to do something similar. Your site isnt so much a blog site in the sense that its not a journal of your life. Its more of an opinionated site, so your articles will tend be longer than a typical blogger site. So what you can do (what I did when I had something similar) is to post a teaser paragraph to get the reader in the mood, then have a link that opens a specific sized window and displays a professional looking full version of the article. Toss in a javascript link to close the window, print options, the works, and you have a satisfied reader. It eases the amount of content displayed on the index and also gives the user more control over the article they're reading..... end shpiel...

Back to the menu on the right, you have "My Favourites" followed by a pic of yourself. Seems a bit odd. If you're going to post a pic of yourself, do something similar and instead of My Favourites, put "The Author" then your pic, followed by "Favourite Links" and the rest of the links. Seems more logical.

Moving over to your Reviews section, now I'm confused! You had the Hero/Another Code articles at the index AND at the review part? And hold on, if that was a review, what were the rest of the articles on the index? And why arent they in this section too? I think I "know" what you're trying to do, but you'll have explain it to me before I can comment any further on it, it was just confusing.

Moblog. What is it? You dont really explain whats going on there. Its obviously pictures you've taken, but you may want to toss in a paragraph explaining "here are some pictures of ......". The whole section really doesnt have a theme as such.

Archives is empty, a perfect opportunity to relieve some stress from the index and throw in an old article in there. In the *edit, i put links, i meant contact* section, align those two buttons to the left so they're in proportion with the rest of the content. Your code is marvelous. Just make sure to add the meta description/keywords tags as well as alt tags for images. I was very nit picky with the review but only because you deserve every last bit of a thorough review! Hope it helps. Great job.

//EDIT: you could also do with an "about" section. About you, about the site, just to give the reader some insight into the author and your motivation for the site.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice site man, everything looks great. Agreeing with the other forum members in here. Exactly how a blog should look. You def. have the skill.
  • Szczypka
  • Loc: London, U.K

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really good, it has some great content, interesting. :D
  • web-rover
  • web-rover
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very clean looking. Easy to navigate.

Nice job
  • Jedi
  • Jedi
  • Loc: Glasgow

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice and easy to navagiate. I especially liked the info about the PSP Launch Details.

All in All Nice Job
  • BillW
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the nav should be on the left but that's just me. Those in the UK might think it's just fine.

Another thing that may just be personal preference is having it centered instead of left aligned.

There's my 2 cents.
  • jah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Clean and easy on the eyes. My suggestion is to change the logo, it does not fit in, smaller size and another font perharps.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers