SITE REVIEW: DealsLocally.Co.Uk

• gnatik
  • gnatik
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all!
http://www.DealsLocally.Co.Uk

Basic site intro: It is a portal for gathering real bargains, discounts, special offers, and deals. Categories for the former mentioned are: Shops, Restaurants, Hotels, Entertainment, Services.

Site Design History: When we initially started, the idea was to make a site that searches by location and produces a list of results, and thus we wanted to keep the landing page very simple and to-the-point. It once only had the looking glass that you now see amongst many other parts. In fact when we thought of simplicity we referred to Google ... I guess at that stage we had not realized that our site needs to be SEO, and not many search for Google in search engines .

Thus we realized that we needed a lot more content and links on the landing page and the site evolved. There have been other interesting moments of realization, but as they say - the rest is history...

What I want to get out: I would really appreciate all the comments that you may have about the site and any improvements. If you have SEO suggestions, that would also be great.

Thanks in advance!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Blubeamshop.com
  • Blubeamshop.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there,

I must say that i think you have a very smart and simple strategy with your site, i know that these kind of sites are especially popular with students (who usually per definition live on a very tight budget). I know that me and my university friends always were happy to find local discounts in our city. So if you'd want to niche your site towards a certain group of people i think that uni students would be the way to go. Granted that i dont know much about the financial status of students in the UK but i can imagine that it's similar to here in Sweden.

Design wise i think that your site is well made as well, i personally cant say what i would or wouldnt wanna see more of on it.

As far as SEO goes, well, i cant say that i am anything else than an amateur at this point but one thing that at least i've heard is that the major search engine spiders will rank your website mainly after the number of ingoing links your site has. So for example the adresses that you have in your forum signature that point to your website should be clickable (real working links in other words), right now they are not. Someone better knowing can correct me if i'm wrong about this, as i said, i'm an amateur at this whole SEO thing at this point.

Hope that helps!

/ Mika
  • gnatik
  • gnatik

Post 3+ Months Ago

Blubeamshop.com wrote:
Hi there,

I must say that i think you have a very smart and simple strategy with your site, i know that these kind of sites are especially popular with students (who usually per definition live on a very tight budget). I know that me and my university friends always were happy to find local discounts in our city. So if you'd want to niche your site towards a certain group of people i think that uni students would be the way to go. Granted that i dont know much about the financial status of students in the UK but i can imagine that it's similar to here in Sweden.

Design wise i think that your site is well made as well, i personally cant say what i would or wouldnt wanna see more of on it.

As far as SEO goes, well, i cant say that i am anything else than an amateur at this point but one thing that at least i've heard is that the major search engine spiders will rank your website mainly after the number of ingoing links your site has. So for example the adresses that you have in your forum signature that point to your website should be clickable (real working links in other words), right now they are not. Someone better knowing can correct me if i'm wrong about this, as i said, i'm an amateur at this whole SEO thing at this point.

Hope that helps!
/ Mika

Thanks very much! Yes, I think students are definitely a target audience :)
  • gnatik
  • gnatik

Post 3+ Months Ago

Changed my domain to .co.uk as I found out .com + US host does not do well in UK searches :)
  • Blubeamshop.com
  • Blubeamshop.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like a nice idea.

What do you have to pay for a co.uk domain these days anyway? I'd imagine it's in the same range as .com's.

I'm thinking of getting a co.uk domain for the UK version of my site..it would look more professional for sure.

Anyways, good luck with your site mate! :)
  • gnatik
  • gnatik

Post 3+ Months Ago

Blubeamshop.com wrote:
Sounds like a nice idea.

What do you have to pay for a co.uk domain these days anyway? I'd imagine it's in the same range as .com's.

I'm thinking of getting a co.uk domain for the UK version of my site..it would look more professional for sure.

Anyways, good luck with your site mate! :)

It is actually cheaper than .com :) ... some good rates on .co.uk out there. Try cheapnames.co.uk

BTW, how did you get your signature as a link? Mine does not seem to work.
  • gnatik
  • gnatik

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any more feedback please? :)
  • Snoop1000
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Snoop1000

Post 3+ Months Ago

The layout looks a little plain and basic, although I like the magnifying glass. Too much white is often the problem for most websites, and this applies to yours, too. Please get rid of some of the white. This could be a very nice, helpful site, if you edit it a little.

Snoop1000
  • cgshelf
  • Born
  • Born
  • cgshelf

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you need to improve your site design. Now the site looks too plain (if this is intentional it is ok ). And there is only one or two color in your site. What about using more than one color in your site. So your site looks more attractive
  • gnatik
  • gnatik

Post 3+ Months Ago

Snoop1000 wrote:
The layout looks a little plain and basic, although I like the magnifying glass. Too much white is often the problem for most websites, and this applies to yours, too. Please get rid of some of the white. This could be a very nice, helpful site, if you edit it a little.

Snoop1000

What would you swap the white background for? Too many immages would make the site too busy, no?

What is best, simple design or busy and colourful one?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers