SITE REVIEW: Demolition Tool

• kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Everyone.

I have finished my conversion of this site from table layout to CSS.

The site is http://www.demolitiontool.com

Any feed back would be appreciated.

I have tested this in IE6, IE7, FF2, and Opera.

(The only flaw I have seen thus far is in Opera and it's a gap but I can live with it ... very few Opera users statistically visit our site)

Thank you for your time.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it's a little bland, but I guess the product kind of dictates that. But besides that I think a rollover on the nav would be nice, possibly some breadcrumbs, maybe make the logo a nav to the homepage. Speaking of, the link you provide is not the home page. When I click on the HOME button it takes me to another site. What's up with that. Also, you could put some imagery in the header and last but not least, let people know what page they are actually on. From the nav it looks like there are only 3 pages. But the sitemap has a ton of pages. How would the average person know about these other pages? Maybe a PRODUCTS button with a drop down that shows each brand name. And the image on each brand name page of the bits shouldn't be the same. Maybe look for the company's logos or something.

And you have a few validation issues.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

zaiah wrote:
But besides that I think a rollover on the nav would be nice, possibly some breadcrumbs, maybe make the logo a nav to the homepage. Speaking of, the link you provide is not the home page. When I click on the HOME button it takes me to another site. What's up with that.

I can definitely look into altering the navigation. The breadcrumb idea I like.

I need to touch up the navigation even if it does not change though, this page should only link back to our "mother" page when on the home page, not on the others. I need to do the drilling and blasting site in this same format ... this was the smaller test site. That is why the navigation brings you elsewhere ... I am dealing with an existed web server / domain name set up that the president likes.

zaiah wrote:
Also, you could put some imagery in the header

I was instructed to have text. No images other than the T. Out of my control. :|

zaiah wrote:
let people know what page they are actually on

Considering the breadcrumbs idea ...

zaiah wrote:
Maybe a PRODUCTS button with a drop down that shows each brand name. And the image on each brand name page of the bits shouldn't be the same. Maybe look for the company's logos or something.

I will run the idea of adding a products button ... excellent catch. But it needs to get approved up the chain.

zaiah wrote:
And you have a few validation issues.

I should have checked that before posting here. My bad. :oops:

====================================================

Will post again here when touched up.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is now validated ...

And I checked the CSS file over and it has 49 "errors" but they are all for netscape 4.0 ... I am not so concerned ...

Added the products button and updated all I had to ... I think I can slip the products button by without problem.

I am asking about the bread crumbs shortly.

Update: The bread crumbs idea and the logo on each product page are both a no go.
  • mrcountry
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mrcountry

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's to basic looking for me. I think the navagation and should be a little more presentable
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

fair enough mrcountry.

It is not up to me to update it any more but I was going to change up the navigation. Before the site alone had at least 2 formats unto itself.

If you could see the original one, you'd see a vast improvement.

Thanks for the feed back.
  • rightinpoint
  • Born
  • Born
  • rightinpoint

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMG. Sorry to say, but your design looks like it's from 90s.
I agree, that design is not so important for the online shop, personally I buy stuff from very bad designed shops with nice services instead of monsters with high prices :)
But it took few minutes from me in order to understand what is your site about.
I am sure, most of the your potential customers just close window without digging into what your site about.
You should make it looks like online shop.
Add price labels, buttons like "Buy it now!", Add "Specials block" etc - your site must looks like shop, or your will lose most customers.

BTW, you may get template monster's template for the OScommerce and get nice looking online shop for the $150 or so. (ADS: You may get 15% discount from template monster.com price on my affiliate store :)
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

rightinpoint wrote:

BTW, you may get template monster's template for the OScommerce and get nice looking online shop for the $150 or so. (ADS: You may get 15% discount from template monster.com price on my affiliate store :)

They didn't even wan't to purchase me web design software than what they had ... FP 2000 ... or a $99 search engine tool. If i went a OSCOmmerce route it would have been a zencart and those are free. I only had DW MX 2004, myself, ozzu, and three people that have to give an ok. The monster idea was suggested and turned down ...
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is a little bland.
why white background? kinda bright
could you center it?
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

A) I was let go last friday so can't update it anymore
B) They only wanted a liquid design ... nothing centered.

C)I have the ability to center it but that is neither here nor there.

I will consider the brightness for my future pages, but as it stands I need a job making them first ... gotta love "business decisions" ... :/
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I click on home I go to (http://www.driller.com) for some reason. If I go to quotes and than to home I go to your site, and if I click on home again (from your homepage) I go to driller.com... You got 2 homes or something?
  • eautocad
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Spring Hill, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great site, I like the idea that is behind it. I checked your backlinks, and they're pretty low. Only 16! I would suggest looking for ways to increase your backlinks with quality high traffic PR sites only. You may have a low # but consider it a clean slate. The sweeter your pie the more flies it will attract, ey?
  • lucky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm... not sure if i like it too much. it's quite blocky and 1990's. but the links do work, and it's good to see a genuine site which is not made for adsense. you might want to try listing in dmoz for higher ranking. also, couldn't find a search box - these are useful for poeple wanting to look for tools fast. have you considered a favicon?
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
When I click on home I go to (http://www.driller.com) for some reason. If I go to quotes and than to home I go to your site, and if I click on home again (from your homepage) I go to driller.com... You got 2 homes or something?

The set up at the job was 4 web hosts that I ftp'ed to. and demolitiontool they has set up to link to the home page driller.com when you are only on the home page. It was what I inherited. That is what they wanted, so that is what they got.
  • soreng
  • soreng

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice!
  • soreng
  • soreng

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers