SITE REVIEW: Vl-Design

• virtualand
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • virtualand

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

This is my professional site. I used 3D images and animations in the composition. There are two scenes: "Amazon Waters" and "Ocean Winds" Soon will be more.

Your review will be welcome.

Regards

http://www.vl-design.com/v2
  • s][ren
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Lehigh Valley

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off I really like the animated water and windmill, I thought it was all flash until I slected it, thought it was really nice to see somthing so subtly done in flash.

Took me a little bit to figure out what the little dots under the "VL" where, might want to actually have them as flags, although I am tired, so that might account for the slow realization. uh other than that, the water sort of freezes or lags, but thats cause I have a slow computer

The music is very soothing, definatly a 9/10 :-)
  • Brebels
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Putte, Belgium

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock: I must say, I'm impressed with this beautifull design. If you compare my website with this, mine's kinda lame...

Keep up the good work dude!
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What a great site! I really enjoyed the 3D work in conjunction with Flash. Have you considered adding any more details to the 3D parts. Say, for instance, I'm looking at Ocean Winds, and I click a link on the right, maybe something could be added to the 3D scene like a boat cruising by in the backround, or maybe some birds in the distance. I liked the feel of it so much, it just made me want more.

Very cool I think.

*edit: I forgot to mention, I didn't like the browser resize, but I do understand why it's there.
;)
  • virtualand
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • virtualand

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Thanks for the reviews...

I like your sugestions, digitalmedia. It will be a bit difficult for me to implement, but in a future version, with more knowledge of Flash, it will be a good improvement.

thank you all...
  • Loucon
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have never see this before. I mean i have seen flash pages before but this is one of the best i have come across.

I'm very impressed.
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i love its great the only thing is the water falls why is it there 2 times it looks really dogey
the flash in it is great
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok before I start - I know little about flash (just the really basic basics) and your flash work is far better than I could do. However....

I would not employ you to make a site for me, because attention to detail is missing. The waterfall looks very good and you should be proud, but it doesn't even come close to looking real....

Also it looks pretty awful in firefox. On the waterfall, its all screwwed, on the windmill the mill part is missing and replaced with a big black square....

personally I feel that the more fancy and impressive your work, the more little things affect can drag you down. similar to "The bigger they are, the harder they fall".

I've just looked back and noticed that the pages are made of a mixture of flash and image elements. I really like the way you've done that. I also think this is the reason why the pages look so messed up on firefox - Your positioning of elements is only working in IE.

I can't comment on the music (sound is off - else people at work might realise I'm not actually working :D).

You are very talented, and without the glitches it would have been a perfect 10.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have taken a screenshot of your 2 pages in the pop up window and changed the text from Black to White!!! This really makes it stand out better and easier to read.

The Windmill works well and all the static graphics work well however the loop on the water is not perfect and maybe better static if the problem cannot be resolved?
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it!! Very well done I like th animation and the music goes perfectly. I think rtm was having a bad day at work or soemthing when he reviewed (LOL im just joking rtm really) HE does have a point with the more impressive work you do the more the little things stand out, My only suggestion would be to remove the prices, simply because I would rather have ppl contact me for a quote that way they dont write me off as soon as they see the price cause theythink they can find someone cheaper (while not necessaraly better 8) ) OTher than that though great site keep it up!!
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

not a bad day - I slag off everyones site....

I just think I can help people more if I point out little faults rather than pointing out the good bits (which everyone else already does).

I've been working a lot on browser compatibility recently, and the first time I saw the site was in firefox - looks bad.

I have also spent a LOT of time around white water and waterfalls etc, and to me, that does not look like a waterfall - thats what it would look like if you ran the water gently down a glass sheet in front of the rocks :D But I would probably notice that more than other people, so take that comment in context.

As I said, it's a perfect ten without the glitches.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about closing the splash page when the pop-up comes up;
or have the page load into the same window...

this way there isnt a browser window sitting there. It just clutters my overloaded taskbar even more.... 8 windows is plenty.
  • virtualand
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • virtualand

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

First of all a want to thank for everybody's reviews. They all will be considered.

I have just finished another scene that I called "at the Heaven's Door".

I had a problem with this scene that was: smooth animation vs. file size. I decided for the file size, so the animation is not very smooth, but I think it works well anyway.

Your reviews will be well coming.

Thanks!
http://www.vl-design.com
  • virtualand
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • virtualand

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

It seams that nobody likes pop-ups, so I decided to open the main page in the same window. No more pop-ups in this site:-)

Regards,
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Again - beautiful and stunning images. Don't work in firefox, I have posted an screenshot (you will have to copy/paste the link).

http://www.geocities.com/whataloadof_crap/sshotworld.gif

That is what 10% of your potential clients will see. You could probably increase sales by 10% by sorting this out.

I am pretty sure that the problem is the 12kB ( :shock: twelve k! ) of javascript that does... uh what exactly?

As a very minimum you should write a jscript that will hide the animated elements and just show a static image below.

Now write out 200 times "I will bin my copy of frontpage" :lol:
  • virtualand
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • virtualand

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Thank you for your review.

I decided to download firefox and see what I could do to make it work.

I solve the majority of the problems. Could you see it for me.

There is only one thing to solve and this is the background of the flash sequencies. In IE the background is transparent, but in firefox is black. You can see that in the control panel of the music and sound. I will try to solve this.

Thanks again!
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yay, my constant bitching worked :lol: nice one.

with the black bits - go for the simple solution, whack an image on the background of the flash, unless anyone knows a way of altering the transparency (I don't know flash lol).

Just out of curiosity, what was the problem with the positioning.
  • virtualand
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • virtualand

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Thank you!

The problem was my html skills :D There was some errors in the html code. The IE didn´t detect them, but firefox did.

Regards
  • virtualand
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • virtualand

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Just to say that all the compatibility problems with firefox where solved. No more black backgrounds. Everything works fine now.

Thanks to all for the reviews.

Best regards
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Amazing. At first I thought it wasn't working on netscape but it is now :) Animation is great. I love the integration of flash and html. I'm sure it'll be great attracting clients.
  • khs
  • Born
  • Born
  • khs
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice website!

I like the preloader (very useful)

Loads pretty fast for dial-up

I love the sounds you've added on your website (suits the background of your page)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep its coming along nicely despite ignoring my idea of white text :( .

How about placing the site in the centre of the screen using a HTML table (unless anyone knows a DIV way). I can send you the simple HTML or nik it from one of my sites.
  • virtualand
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • virtualand

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Johan007,

Do you know how can I center verticaly the iframe where the page loads?

I used the param "align=center" to align the iframe horizontely, but how can I do the same verticaly?

Thanks!
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

An IFrame I dont know m8 cos I dont use em.

If you want to enclose it in table use this...

Code: [ Select ]
<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" height="100%" width="100%">
 <tr>
    <td valign="middle" align="center">
     <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="520">
     <tr>
      <td>content here</td>
     </tr>
     </table>         
  </td>
 </tr>
</table>
  1. <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" height="100%" width="100%">
  2.  <tr>
  3.     <td valign="middle" align="center">
  4.      <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="520">
  5.      <tr>
  6.       <td>content here</td>
  7.      </tr>
  8.      </table>         
  9.   </td>
  10.  </tr>
  11. </table>

So you would do this...

Code: [ Select ]
<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" height="100%" width="100%">
 <tr>
    <td valign="middle" align="center">
     <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="520">
     <tr>
      <td>
<IFRAME name="vl-design" src="Vl-Design Design Gráfico &amp; Webdesign_files/intro1.htm" frameBorder="0" width="790" scrolling="no" height="395"></IFRAME>
</td>
     </tr>
     </table>         
  </td>
 </tr>
</table>
  1. <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" height="100%" width="100%">
  2.  <tr>
  3.     <td valign="middle" align="center">
  4.      <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="520">
  5.      <tr>
  6.       <td>
  7. <IFRAME name="vl-design" src="Vl-Design Design Gráfico &amp; Webdesign_files/intro1.htm" frameBorder="0" width="790" scrolling="no" height="395"></IFRAME>
  8. </td>
  9.      </tr>
  10.      </table>         
  11.   </td>
  12.  </tr>
  13. </table>

I am sure people here can do it in <div> tags and css too... anyone?

EDIT: Man I love your sound file and have your site running in the background today.
  • virtualand
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • virtualand

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks!

it's must better now!

regards
  • gab1982
  • gab1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

exceptionally good unique design too, a very good and flowing site. I dont see anything wrong with it in my opinion because it has everything a site would need. A+

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers