SITE REVIEW: My Dev Software Company

• stephenlane80
  • stephenlane80

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok fellow webmasters,

Please take a look at my humble attempt :

What i really want the site to say is that, "this is a professional site, and i would be confident doing business with this company"

Im not sure if i am achieveing this, what do you think ??

Cheers,

Steve
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• iliya428
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I don't like "Wise Words" section. I don't know why. Probably I'm not ready to read "Funny quote of the day" on a business-related site.

I didn't find a portfolio, at least references to the jobs done.

Partners section doesn't attract (no famous names there)

Putting a list of the customers (if any) could add some value.

"Web Design" page: list of techs is of the same color as links around the site, but they are not links.

RSS feed leads to default page.

Search probably works, but I've entered "php mysql" and got no results. That's bad as it means you do not work with either techs.

Good luck!
  • camp185
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good advice above, and yes you do need to get rid of the funny quote. Put that on a personal blog or something.
  • stephenlane80
  • stephenlane80

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the detailed feed back, much appreciated, i will make some changes to see what you think
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

A few things of note:

the google search thing is touching the top of the page in firefox, the "only search Tek Dev" text is hard to read, and its annoying when it's a google search but you think it is a proper site search until you get brought to the google results and it doesn't have the same feel by then

I also think you should make the left navigation links display block.
I found myself clicking on the little arrows left of them too, expecting the list to expand or it to be part of the anchor.

The image quality in the Technologies thing seems quite bad.

I think the right borders in the nav should be solid instead of dashed

But yes, it does have the appeal of "this is a professional site, and i would be confident doing business with this company"

edit:
Also, I dont think the subheadings should be all caps - looks too shouty

Also, I am not sure how the copyright on the windows logo works (I think the other ones are available for use though)

On a side note: Ouch, C# ? >_>
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

Opps, didnt mean to post this, I clicked quote instead of edit and didnt notice till after
  • stephenlane80
  • stephenlane80

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent feedback bozebo, thanks a lot,

I will take a look at all of the items you mentioned above.

Also in regard to previous posts i have made some changes:

1. the rss link at the bottom now provides an rss link to the forum posts

2. i removed the wise words section and replced them with a news feed

thoughts ?

Cheers

Steve
  • theBruney
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it. I only think that if the above 'tek-dev' is your logo then it wouldn't hurt to use an image instead on text. For one, I don't know if you ever worked with Photoshop, but there are these text properties and one of them is sharp, which makes the edges of text look harsh. That's how your text looks. Text sizes over 15px doesn't look great in HTML IMO. I saw that you used an image for 'tek-dev' in the forum section, but the edges there are much worse then the other site pages. So I guess I should say that if you are going to (re-)do any images for your logo, see to it that the edges of the text appears smooth. It's very important that your logo be a good 'shinning star', and one of the factors in being a good 'shinning star' is quality.

The blinking logos under the technologies h1 are not cropped properly and the images look pixelated.

Other than that it looks professional to me.
  • stephenlane80
  • stephenlane80

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi theBruney,

I never noticed the tek-dev tek quality was so bad until you pointed it out ! i think ill have a go at a logo image, but i dont have photoshop. i used the gimp once or twice before with ok results, but as you might have guessed im not a graphic designer !! the logo image i used in the forum was basically a printscreen of the web page !!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers