SITE REVIEW: Digital HIATUS

• Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Portugal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, it's done. :)

http://www.digihiatus.vze.com

I still need my content, which will probably be uploaded once i can access the computer that's got my stuff... the content are some basic html help files, mini flash tutorials for begginers, fireworks tips and tricks, and some freehand tips also, yes im a macromedia fan ;) plus this is a site to mainly have some fun and get to know a bit about my work that ill be doing in the following days/weeks/months/whatever regarding webdesign, also you can read my weekly comics ;) browse the forums (which are empty right now :oops: ) and basically burn some of that free time some of you might have, i dont have a title for this kind of site, so i called it a variety site, if that makes any sense.

Anyways, i'd like to hear what everyone has to say regarding the layout design.

Note: This is a xoops powered site, templates and themes all made by me from scratch, please post some constructive feedback on how you feel about the looks of the site, don't mind the lack of content ok? ;P

Thanks~
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's the URL?
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I forgot to put the url in there, when i realized i didnt, i went to edit the post, then my internet connection died... X_x.... there it is now.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm guessing the URL is http://www.digihiatus.vze.com/ ?

Looks pretty, the blue-white gradient on the main box looks good, as does the top of the box (with the parallel lines).

Why doesn't the cursor hand appear when hovering over links? I guess this is a feature of XOOPS, but is that really something you want?
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used CSS to change the cursors, but im thinking of putting back the normal ones, because some people find it confusing ^^
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not bad, the colors flow nicely together. However, "filling in that gap onm the net" is hardly legible. YOu need to use a darker text else people will miss it. I actually didnt really mind the missing link hand, but depending on where your going with your site depends on if you want it or not. It look like its mainly just a fun site, so It should be ok, and considering that you have the rollover on them I like it. If you were appealing to an older generation (say my father :P) he wouldnt know those were links, and may think your site wasnt working yet. Also, you dont have a page that tells what your site is about, I assume thats coming soon?
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am still working on an about page, you know when you got lots of content you just dont know where to start heh, thats how im feeling now.

I actually made the quote a little hard to see intentionally, because it's not an original motto or anything, it just stays there for added eye candy, reading it is not essencial, but yeah, not everyone knows what im thinking ^^ and i might end up responsible from someone injuring their sight trying to read it ahah.

Well, i forgot to mention this, but my site has 5 different color sets, i have created an account for people to try out the functionalities of the site, and to have an opportunity to check out the other color sets:

Login: Ozzu
Password: demo1

Yea, i made the site mainly to have fun, you know a freelance kind of site, not having a fixed content, i like that, i still have to officially launch the site, but wont do it untill i got content and interesting stuff :)

;)
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

The border on the right hand side of the middle block appears to be double the width of the other borders and over extends at the top, other than that it looks great.

Nice work, keep it up.
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hm i was messing with the code just now, thats why ^^ ill fix it

edit: Said and done, thanks for noticing me, i totally missed it heh.

By the way thanks for the comments people :oops:
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

The white and the blue are working for you. I think because the site design fits the content, its successful. However, theres definitely something missing...perhaps some suitable imagery.

Also, everything seems kind of spaced out...so much white space being displayed...perhaps some imagery can fill these spots up.
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Owatonna, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's something for everyone to take note of. In fact, I bet I've made the same mistake on some sites.

It appears to me you have no background color on the main body. At work, I have my default window color set to a light gray rather than white. Most people leave this setting at white, and I'm assuming you have as well, Ifrit.

Well, in my browser at work the base background on your site is not white and it doesn't look that good. I'm guessing for most everyone the background is white, but you'll want to force the issue in your CSS by setting your body background-color to white.

(Yep, I checked a site I'm working on and I have the same problem. :))
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, i never tought of that X_x thanks!
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

The web site is perfect for its purpose. Nice job.

One minor thing, the main menu on the right looks kind of odd to me. May be right aligning the title and everything, would look better. Also the midle table could flow with the browser window instead of a fixed size. You might consider that for high resolution.

Very good work indeed!
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

The menu on the right is expandable, if you are on the homepage, which is the newspage, the menu on the right gives you 2 extra choices: Submit your own news, for the webmaster to review and post it if he so wishes, meaning anyone can post news there, and browse the news archive.

If you go to another section, different extra choices will be given to you.

These extra choices are pushed a little to the right, so it looks like its distorted.

On the second topic, i did think about that, but the middle block is actually meant to stay there, and not expand, it is prepositated. I'm more worried about smaller resolutions, i use 1024x768, and what i see is a centered site that doesnt take all the space in the screen, im a minimalist :)

Thanks~
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
On the second topic, i did think about that, but the middle block is actually meant to stay there, and not expand, it is prepositated. I'm more worried about smaller resolutions, i use 1024x768, and what i see is a centered site that doesnt take all the space in the screen, im a minimalist

That's fine actually. Because few people actually use resolution larger than 1024. I use 1280 by 960 when surfing. But I agree with you. Most of the sites that I design are optimized for 1024 too.
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Owatonna, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

bjhess wrote:
Here's something for everyone to take note of. In fact, I bet I've made the same mistake on some sites.

It appears to me you have no background color on the main body. At work, I have my default window color set to a light gray rather than white. Most people leave this setting at white, and I'm assuming you have as well, Ifrit.

Well, in my browser at work the base background on your site is not white and it doesn't look that good. I'm guessing for most everyone the background is white, but you'll want to force the issue in your CSS by setting your body background-color to white.

(Yep, I checked a site I'm working on and I have the same problem. :))

On top of this, the new Yahoo! mail web pages do the same thing. I had to chuckle when I was converted to the new system right after posting this.
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

^^; maybe they frequent these forums! ;O

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers