• Byzantium
  • Student
  • Student
  • Byzantium
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi - this is the first site I have done:

http://www.dimensionfurniture.co.uk/

It's not the most exciting subject - but it's for a friend and I'm trying to drive some business his way.

Have tried to make it standards compliant xhtml/css and tried to follow wai guidelines - but not too sure how well I have, so any feedback on that side especially welcome.

One technical problem I have is the two links at bottom left and bottom right of (every) page don't always position right in i.e. - but if you click refresh they then fall into place. If anyone knows how to fix this I'd like to know.

Any comments on how to make site more attractive especially welcome!

Oh - also I know nothing about security - is there anything really obvious I need to worry about?

thx
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rip
  • rip

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey. I really like the layout and the ruler for a header. However, when you resize the window, the header title overlaps the left picture.

Also, when viewing the gallery, it'd be nice to have next and previous links to scroll through all the images.

Looked good in firefox as well.

Nice job!
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

sipmle yes but nice add the links to the footer and thats about it
lots of links in the content witch is great keep the people clicking
  • farmer_Tom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • farmer_Tom
  • Loc: Oaklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

Simple, clean design proves itself effective once again! Nice job, Byzantium, the site looks really good. I like the script for the navigation, how it gives a summary of each item above the navigation. Not sute why you have a gray border around the page, but you could do without it. On the security side, you might not want to leave your email address as link, spammer software is trained to look for that, maybe make it an image that looks like a line of text. Overall, very good site for the first effort.
  • Byzantium
  • Student
  • Student
  • Byzantium

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off - thanks for your feedback. What a helpful and well run forum this is! Taking your comments one by one:

Quote:
Hey. I really like the layout and the ruler for a header. However, when you resize the window, the header title overlaps the left picture.

Also, when viewing the gallery, it'd be nice to have next and previous links to scroll through all the images.

Thanks Rip - the header title has to go somewhere when the window gets real small - though it's fine at 640x480. I've changed it now to go behind the image on the left though - looks better. I also put next and previous buttons in the gallery pages as you suggested.

Quote:
sipmle yes but nice add the links to the footer and thats about it
lots of links in the content witch is great keep the people clicking

Thanks cowkiller - the links in the footer are there (they just don't show underline till you hover) - but I still have the problem with them not always displaying in correct position...

Quote:
I like the script for the navigation, how it gives a summary of each item above the navigation. Not sute why you have a gray border around the page, but you could do without it.

Thx farmer Tom - just for interest the rollover is done without any script - just using CSS as described at
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html

Yes - I think I will drop the grey border. I plan on moving to a more open layout so will do it then.

Thanks again for all your comments!
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi here are some comments and suggestions:

- Your site looks great on all tested browsers. Only thing I noticed was that the title of your site doesn't display on NS, FF or Opera. Only shows up in IE. You should look into that. Make sure your site shows up properly on all possible popular browsers.

- Remove the comma after the word "furniture," which is bolded in the first paragraph.

- The word "utilise" is spelt with a "z".

- When you're linking to a site, make sure the link opens in a new browser window. Otherwise you are encouranging viewers to leave your site.

- Why do you have the first letters of each word in the navbar a different colour? I don't think it looks nice I'd suggest changing it back to black.

- You've got some great photos btw. Very crips and clear!

- Remove the second instance of the word "become"
"Rycotewood College has trained many UK cabinet makers - including myself! This college has now merged with two others to become become Oxford & Cherwell College - which continues to run cabinet making and furniture design courses."

- "Direcories" is misspelled.

- "homesources" is actually 2 words.

- "categorised" is spelled with a Z.

- Change the following link
http://www.dimensionfurniture.co.uk/han ... furniture/
to
http://www.dimensionfurniture.co.uk/handmade-furniture
(all you're doing is removing the "%2", so that all browsers will read it properly. You probably accidentally put in a space.

Otherwise looks good :)
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

First time reviewing so...

Great looking overall site. I worked on a furniture site for about a year so I have a little experience with furniture sales...but anyway...

1/ I also thought the pictures were great. Very sharp and shows the craftsmanship.

2/ With your email address, you may want to change it to a form. This not only stops the spammers, but also allows you to get the information that you need from the potential customer. Also, many people out there don't have email setup and they have to copy your email address, open their email up and then send.

3/ I am an internet marketing guy so I know that the furniture industry is very competitive. I suggest optimizing your site for some more of your major keywords (http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchi ... uggestion/) and submit your site to a lot of directories to start.
  • Byzantium
  • Student
  • Student
  • Byzantium

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks 613flavah and vetofunk - your comments were really helpful.

Vetofunk - your point about the form for enquiries is a good one and I will make a point of doing that. You're right about the furniture business being competitive - I have already spent a fair bit of time on SEO and will need to do more.

613flavah - I really appreciated your taking the time to give such a detailed proof reading of my site. I have completed most of the changes you suggested. The problem with the title not showing in anything except ie - oops I changed z-index to fix something else and didn't test properly - Duuh!

The letters in the navbar that are a different colour are to indicate the access key. I'm open to suggestions on alternative ways of doing this...

The only thing I didn't change that you suggested is having links open in new windows. I'm sure I've seen in one of the accessibility recommendations that you should stay in the same window (but I can't find where I saw it). I know I prefer a linear browsing experience myself - where the back button always takes me back to where I was - without popups or new windows opening. It does mean you might lose a visitor to a linked site - but if they like your site they'll come back. I'd be interested in what you or others have to say on this topic...

ps - re the spelling stuff. I was sure utilise was the (UK) English spelling but when I looked in my Oxford reference dictionary it lists utilize, with utilise as an alternative. So then I looked in an old (20yrs?) dictionary I had and that only lists utilise - so I guess it's a sign of the increasing Americanisation of UK English. I just mention this because I remember seeing a note of yours to an American re spelling and I noticed the Canadian English spelling was the same as UK - not US.

Anyway - thanks again.
  • shashank_hi
  • Born
  • Born
  • shashank_hi
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site. and i really mean it. The best thing about it is the images. I think there are few sites with better images uses. Clean and efficient. Keep up the good work.
  • voxunity
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • voxunity

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks good, except for the menu.
  • Byzantium
  • Student
  • Student
  • Byzantium

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi - I've recently made a few changes to this site
http://www.dimensionfurniture.co.uk/
including some (like getting rid of the grey border) that were suggested here.

Appreciate any further comments

Thanks
  • krisna
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: bali

Post 3+ Months Ago

great and simple design web furniture

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers