SITE REVIEW: Discount Affordable Web Design Company

• ridiculouslyrandom.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ridiculouslyrandom.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.organizedhavoc.com

OrganizedHavoc is a web design company which specialize in phpbb forums, e-commerce online stores, as well as image or logo design. Although this is our specialization, we can create any of the items listed below and more. We have a direct staff of 4 website designers and 3 image designers, we also have over 20 freelancers working for us if needed. No job is too small or too large. We have created webpages from $5.00 to $5,000. Please use our contact page to request information from a qualified design representative. We will respond with a quote within 24 hours.

What do you think?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would suggest that when on the images portfolio page, that the image rather open up in a new window ...

Also when I'm on one of the pages, I think that page's rollover and link should be disabled, and that text should maybe be another colour ...

Then also one of the images are missing on the "website portfolio" page ...

All right then ... your page has 56 XHTML errors ... how can you offer web design, that is like that ... ? Don't you think that's a bit bad ... ?
  • Kshadows
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kshadows
  • Loc: southern il

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol righteous trespasser sounds like he know what he's talking about. Seeing as how i'm a newbie and totally ignorant i'm going to answer as one who is oblivious to the world of web design. Most site I happen upon are cluttered and make me regret visiting them; yours does not. However, i find your design is unimpressive and would not give me the "I must have this designer" kind of feeling.
  • ridiculouslyrandom.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ridiculouslyrandom.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for the reviews. My site is not an Xhtml site. And its not odd. even google had errors.
  • ridiculouslyrandom.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ridiculouslyrandom.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

and no, no images missing on websites.. images page they open up in a larger page to show the image in its full size.
  • harlemangel
  • harlemangel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there

I just visited your site, and there is a missing image/link on the 'websites.html' page. Its 'img/hhstore.jpg' which is a broken link to a 'hhstore'html'.

Anyway, besides that, while I am a big fan of clarity, and clear space on a site, I have to agree with Kshadows in that it doesnt impress designwise.

You could include some nice imagery, or a nicer gallery to exhibit your portfolio. Have you looked at something like 'lightbox', or other javascript based galleries?

Also, possibly a really simple flash piece in/underneath the header may be visually appealing.

But, as I said, its nice and clear, and the colors are easy on the eyes.

Hope this helps!
H
  • ecuador
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree, that a webdesign company shouldn't have any error on its own pages, as it shows you do not take care enough of what you do.

The page itself didn't impress me much, one among one million others. There's nothing that has this "wow nice, how the hell he did it" effect.

Having images popping up in a blank new window - style of 1990. There are loads of better techniques out there. If you really want to cope with the pro's out there, you still have a long way to go.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

rediculouslyrandom.com wrote:
images page they open up in a larger page to show the image in its full size.
I accept that, but just put a back link on that same page or something, because some noobs don't know what they're doing, and don't know about "back" buttons ...
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Design aside (I think thats been covered pretty well already) Why would you state that your work starts at $10? That cheapens the entire design industry and makes your company look like a bunch of hacks who simply want to perpetuate the amount of horrible websites built for people who probably have no need of a site anyway.

Would you trust a $10 plumber or a $10 attorney? I highly doubt it. If you want to be treated like a professional you need to act like one. That includes charging within the accepted rate range for your area and building a showcase site that is itself an example of your BEST work. (No broken links, valid html, etc)
  • jerrygad
  • jerrygad

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the way you design your website. It is simple but very informative. Well done and keep it up.
  • ridiculouslyrandom.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ridiculouslyrandom.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

jerrygad wrote:
I really like the way you design your website. It is simple but very informative. Well done and keep it up.

Thank you, sir.

graphixboy wrote:
Why would you state that your work starts at $10? That cheapens the entire design industry

I think the entire design industry is overpriced. I have had clients who have told me they would never have sought services due to overpriced competitors. A client was charged $80 an hour, to install a phpbb forum. And the designer (well known online company) charged 2 hours for that. For a phpbb board?! I modified the board, installed hacks, and made it exactly what he wanted for $50. I dont overcharge, i think the entire design industry does. I have done basic templates and straight forward phpbb installs for $10 flat. I would rather gain $10 and a lifelong client than gain $160 to rip someone off.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have no desire to get a client for life who expects to < $100 for a full project regardless of what it entails. Just remember that charging less than 1/8 the standard rate sends the message that you have no pride in your work and assign very little value to what you do.
  • ridiculouslyrandom.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ridiculouslyrandom.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

For my "Discount Affordable Web Design Company" i believe i can write what i wish. Also, if you want a basic text only front page, or a simple hack install on a phpbb board or something along those lines, you will pay $100+ everytime?

I wish you were my client, if that is true.
  • ecuador
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMHO someone surely shouldn't be overpriced for his work, but still there must me some money put in customers hands; first of all, a designer ( assumed one with a REAL company, not sitting at home playing around ) should be paid for his work in a way that it reflects his good work and don't forget, what the time spent to bring the designers skills to a certain ( hopefully high ) level.

Our customers say, we have a real good price, as we don't charge as much as maybe others do from which I heard. The hardest I ever came to hear was changing an image and some text on a site has been charged with 150 (!) €.

Furthermore, offering a good service seems to me way more important, as customers honor that. That includes i.e. free of charge changes, help in creating lets say a flyer that matches the CI or at least their web presence for free ( takes maybe 30 min, if you know what you do ).

Still, a designer also needs to live somehow, so prices like 10$ for setting up a board seems ridiculous. This is price dumping in its worst occurrence. And the phrase "You get what you pay for" is still valid - just setting up a standard board seems in my eyes not to be enough when the customer then stands there without any help how to go on from that point.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ridiculouslyrandom I owe you an apology. I was overly harsh and spoke out of annoyance. While I still believe that billing practices are largely responsible for the general cultural apathy surrounding interactive diciplines, I didn't approach this discussion in a constructive mannor.

When I saw your site, I spoke in anger simply assuming that you were eroding the things that I've worked so hard to accomplish both personally and as an industry.

I find that a majority of my day is spent fighting with clients who believe that they are simply paying me to be a monkey instead of realizing that I'm attempting to provide a real return on their investments. Over time I have found that a higher price helps clients realize that they are paying for skill and knowledge that has taken time to develop. Like ecuador said, my clients receive many things for free as an act of good faith, but at the same time they are tipically paying me several thousand dollars for the full project.

I do urge you to at least consider your billing practices and check out some of the resources available in your area (the AIGA website has lots of resources for businesses in the United States). However, I don't wish to perpetuate an arguement and I hope that when a phpBB install is over my head you won't be too hard on me.
  • ridiculouslyrandom.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ridiculouslyrandom.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

I put the $10 on my website because i advertise heavily on phpbb related forums. Many people just want their board to look like a default phpbb board but cannot do that themselves. I have heard of price quotes from $50 too $100 even upwards of $500 for a job which requires 5 minutes at the most.

I wanted people who simply cannot afford a large designer to be able to come in, feel welcomed, and request a quote.

Thanks for your reply graphix, No worries.

As for equador, "( assumed one with a REAL company, not sitting at home playing around )" Thanks buddy, your real nice. I appreciate you coming into my thread, dont let the door hit you on the way out.
  • logoleptic
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Equador was rude, but he's got a point. If website development and design is the way you make your money and pay the bills, then you can't afford to work on the cheap. You're getting some flack here because cut-rate operators make it much harder to make a living wage in this business.

When your jaw drops at numbers like $80 / hour (admittedly more than I make), you need to keep in mind that those are billable hours. No freelancer on earth works 40 billable hours a week. Not if they need to sleep much at all. There's also the matter of taxes. Nobody withholds taxes for you when you're a freelancer, so 35% of my income goes directly into a savings account for payment to Uncle Sam. Then there's car payment, insurance, housing, food... If I cost my clients less than a pizza delivery, I'd never even come close to breaking even.

Example: I don't know how you can possibly solve a client's problem in 5 minutes, since it takes me longer than that to have a serious discussion with a potential client about their needs and business goals. Once you give these people (who sound like serious phpbb newbies) their default-looking forum, do you leave it at that? What about some lessons in how to manage a forum community and deal with spam? Advice on how to promote the forum, build community, and eventually promote moderators from among the most involved users? If you have extensive experience with setting up and managing forum communities, then you're selling yourself short. You might have much more to offer your clients, and they should be willing to pay a fair rate for how much easier you could make their lives.

You seem to be in danger of playing the role of the guy who'll slap a band-aid on a wound -- any wound -- for a super-cheap rate. Those people who ask (and get) $80 / hour? They're surgeons. Wouldn't you rather be a surgeon, too? It's hard work to get to that level -- not just acquiring the skills, but building up the recognition for them. Beats slapping on hundreds of band-aids a month, though.
  • sk8ar
  • sk8ar

Post 3+ Months Ago

Colors match together ;) And the font is very well chosen, I would only suggest you to make the width of the left menu smaller.
  • ablaye
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ablaye

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am using Internet Explorer 6 and it appears that grey column on the left overlaps your main text on the right.
Also your menu links on the left column are all the way at the bottom.
I think your layout is a bit messed up and you may want to take a look at your CSS file.
  • ridiculouslyrandom.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ridiculouslyrandom.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

I checked it in every, even very outdated browsers, on 14"-42" screens (42" was fun) and nothing is wrong for me. Can you screenshot?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers