SITE REVIEW: dmportfolio

• soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is my portfolio i did that might come in use if i apply to any art college. C&C would be greatly appreciated.
http://dmportfolio.d2networx.com/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, well I don't like splash pages anyway, and the site requirements always annoys me, because it just looks as though you haven't made much effort. Also, if you are going to put a requirements part on the site, you could at least make it accurate!
Quote:
requirements:
internet explorer 6
best viewed at 1024x768
8 bit color mode

You don't need IE6 to view the site, it's fine in 600x800, and have you even tried viewing the site in 8 bit (256 colours) mode??

My second thought about the splash page is that it leads to three sections, which look like two different sites. I can appreciate that you want to split the portfolio from the rest of the site, but it would be better if the aesthetic divide matched up with the navigational divide.

In the portfolio, I really don't get why you have used the iframes in way you do. When I click a link, the page reloads (into essentially the same thing), and then a new iframe gets loaded :? If you are going to have a page reload, why not do away with the iframe? In addtion, try not to have scroll bars on the page, and in the iframe. It really messes with mouse wheel scrolling.

I really like the artwork, but IMO it would be better if you hosted pictures on your own site, rather than linking to an outside site.
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok thanks for the reviews, quite helpful.
Well about the requirememnts part. The reason I put IE6 is because I didn't test it in any other broser yet so if there's any glitch it's would be the browser hopefully.
The same thing about 1024x768. Notice i said BEST viewed? That means I developed the site at that resolution and IMO it looks neat that way.
All my gfx was developed at 8 bit color mode.

Quote:
In the portfolio, I really don't get why you have used the iframes in way you do. When I click a link, the page reloads (into essentially the same thing), and then a new iframe gets loaded If you are going to have a page reload, why not do away with the iframe? In addtion, try not to have scroll bars on the page, and in the iframe. It really messes with mouse wheel scrolling.

I really want to take that into consideration but i really don't get it.

Maybe later I'll host my own pics cuz that's temporary. Hosting my own pics is like a whole lot of space.

Thanks again for the review.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know if it is my broadband playing up but it seems to be taking a long time to load.

The text on the splash page is hard to read (its a tad to small)

I dont like this bit : Total hits 0064, just shows that your site is not getting a lot of traffic. Does it really need to be there?

Why is your site so tiny? I think that a little bit bigger would be better. Im on 1280 x 1024 and there is more space then anything else.

You might want to check the "logo design" section under portfolio, the text is gone to times new roman.

Other then that its cool, i hope you dont think i am being to harsh. There are lots of things i like about the site.

Cheers

Tony
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did my favor of looking at your Iframes, and came accross this..

" I pressed, ctrl + F , and entered in your source "target" "

I did not find any, just to note, if your going to use Iframes, use them right, give the iframe a name, like "content", then, make all your links go to the target (Content in this example), to load the window, in the area you wanted, will now load with the new iframe window of the new page (with content) thus, no reloading of images will be needed.

Code: [ Select ]
<a href="iframe.html target="content">Link</a>

then, it will ONLY load your iframe, and not reload every single page.

ok, now you learned targets, care to use them?
----------

Nice design, blues a nice tone,overused , but nice.
Add those targets, and all be happy and dandy!
======

Quote:
<iframe name="I1" width="398" height="304" frameborder="0" border="0" src="iframe.php">

---
Ah I see, you did give your Iframe names, why dont you use them to your advantage, (id rather think, a name like content, would be better tho)

make all you targets go to "I1"

<a href="iframe.php" target="I1">Link</a>

-----------
<a href="http://dmportfolio.d2networx.com/profile.php" target="I1">Image</a>

====
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

too harsh?? nah.. I thank you. Thanks to Foxy for the target tip on my Iframe. I'll look into it. OH about the counter...i did the site the other day so what would u expect? Give it a week and check back.

Ozzu is the best. Nowhere else i find such great comments.
  • kev89431
  • kev89431

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey, there's only 1 word to describe ur site - Cool!

cool design, love the color, it's pretty unique.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers