SITE REVIEW: DueysDrawings.com

• golfiscool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys. I would like some honest reviews of my site. I am a professional artist working in all traditional media. My website is a place to display my work. Please tell me what you think. Thanks :)

http://www.dueysdrawings.com/
  • allofcraigs
  • allofcraigs

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think your site looks good. i would prefer if you centered your page because i don't care for the extra white space.

other than that, looks to be a professional, well-designed site.
  • golfiscool

Post 3+ Months Ago

allofcraigs wrote:
i think your site looks good. i would prefer if you centered your page because i don't care for the extra white space.

Extra white space? I know it's not centered but I didn't know there was any "white" on the site. What browser are you using?
  • Brandon_g
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Lakewood

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been too your site is the past It's a fablous site it helps me do face drawing thanx for your help on your fablous site.
  • golfiscool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Brandon_g wrote:
I've been too your site is the past It's a fablous site it helps me do face drawing thanx for your help on your fablous site.

Thank you for visiting! I'm glad you like it :)
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

golfiscool wrote:
allofcraigs wrote:

Extra white space? I know it's not centered but I didn't know there was any "white" on the site. What browser are you using?

White space does not mean the color or colour (pick your spelling :mrgreen: ) but any space that has no content in it, in your case the white space is black, it detes back to the days when the only background you could have was white.

now the site is very nice however the links on the top are a bit out of focus id have to say that also I am not a fan of images as links as there is little or no change in hover over for them (not that you need it but it feels odd somehow without one) see how the links on this site change...
Other then that its very nice, well done
  • golfiscool

Post 3+ Months Ago

tastysite wrote:
White space does not mean the color or colour (pick your spelling :mrgreen: ) but any space that has no content in it, in your case the white space is black, it detes back to the days when the only background you could have was white.

now the site is very nice however the links on the top are a bit out of focus id have to say that also I am not a fan of images as links as there is little or no change in hover over for them (not that you need it but it feels odd somehow without one) see how the links on this site change...
Other then that its very nice, well done

Ok, I understand. Yeah I knew about the links being out of focus. That bothers me sometimes too. I don't know how to fix that. I used a .png image instead of a .jpg and I thought that helped somewhat. Is there a way to do image rollovers with image maps?? I had thought about that a while ago...but...again, I don't know how to do that. Yeah, I understand what you mean. All my normal links change when hovered but I didn't know if that was possible to do rollovers on image maps. Any help would be appreciated. Any more cosmetic advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd like the site to be as visually attractive as possible. Thanks :)
  • linxiting
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • linxiting
  • Loc: Belgium

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice constructed, design is very good. Just 1 remark, your buttons at the top of your website should have a better visibility. I should not make my buttons gray, but white and with a hover or something like that... It's just a tip :)
  • golfiscool

Post 3+ Months Ago

linxiting wrote:
Very nice constructed, design is very good. Just 1 remark, your buttons at the top of your website should have a better visibility. I should not make my buttons gray, but white and with a hover or something like that... It's just a tip :)

Ok, thank you :) Yeah, I know that the menu bar is not very visible. I just really liked the handwritten font. I thought it was really cool looking and meshed well with the site.
  • akya
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good website :) and I liked your drawings... Fabulous work. Also you may want to change the red color used in the forum. Its hard to read.
  • nixwebo
  • nixwebo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Site looks good, loads fast and draws the viewers attention where it should be without any detracting images that are out of place. I would say well done!
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the overall design, the colours and style all fit nicely. Beautiful drawings.

You've got 1246 Errors and 31 warnings on the W3 validator which you should fix (have fun!). Link

For links - the combination of dark red, bold and underline with a black background is a little hard to read, and I think is an unnecessarily amount of contrast - content should be the focus, not the links. Try without bolding and underline, or a different shade of red (if you must bold & underline).

I don't think the link hover crosshair cursor is necessary. I don't like it when sites try and change the things I'm used to - links have the hand, crosshairs are for dragging/dropping. Don't change things just for the sake of it, have a reason.

Code: [ Select ]
a:hover {
cursor:crosshair;
  1. a:hover {
  2. cursor:crosshair;
  3. ...

The 150px margin/padding and the left align of your site isn't necessary. Don't forget that everyone has a different resolution, and therefore visible browser width. For lower resolution screens you're wasting the 150px on the left, meaning people have to scroll. On higher resolution screens your site is aligned all the way to the left, which is annoying.
Try centring the 1000px or so in a div; you might find it displays similarly for you, but for people on different resolution screens the site displays nicely.

I don't like the image map.
- the text seems blurry and not centred.
- no tab navigation - very useful for disability accessibility, and on other devices
- no change when you hover - something that most people are used to, and is also useful on different devices (mobiles etc) to see what part of the site you have selected.

I would change it to a logo with a css menu - take a look at cssplay for some code and examples. Find the font that you used for the image map text and make some buttons (assuming there's no way to get other people's browsers to display your custom font - I'm not sure about this)

Keep it up, it's almost perfect :)
  • Gevorro

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's too dark there for portfolio, and it looks like a blog
  • ournishani
  • ournishani

Post 3+ Months Ago

golfiscool wrote:
Hey guys. I would like some honest reviews of my site. I am a professional artist working in all traditional media. My website is a place to display my work. Please tell me what you think. Thanks :)

http://www.dueysdrawings.com/

I must say you are an excellent artist..i am really amazed by your pics.
  • Dude Man Dude
  • Dude Man Dude
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Given that you are an artist trying to promote your art work (not yourself) I'd say that you should lose the giant picture of yourself and instead rotate some of your favorite works there! The thumbnails are really small and not quite inviting.

I would suggest integrating a flash module that rotates pictures. I would also recommend losing the black background, but that is just my personal opinion. Regardless, very good work!
  • Longclark
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Longclark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your drawing website is well and good and also if you do the following small changes will gain more visitors to your website. Such as changing the background colour and instead of pencil artist image if you place the pencil drawings images in large size in panels or blocks will attract more number of visitors to your website. Really the drawing works are really excellent and outstanding. Especially the tabs also written in the format of pencil written will attract the people more in number.
  • graphicnerd

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMO, the scrolling part makes it bad, air space makes things easier.
  • Tribe Merchandise
  • Born
  • Born
  • Tribe Merchandise

Post 55 days ago

Navigation a major weakness , This color scheme and menue layout is hard to see. I don't mind scrolling vertical but it's too long hard to read. I reccomend automatic marquee scroller java script from Dynamic drive. looks good and wish you success.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers