SITE REVIEW: Eason Hosting Solutions

• Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce
  • Loc: North Carolina

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm starting my own web hosting business and I need some input on the layout I have setup for this. The only thing I think needs improving is the header (I suck at them). The client login doesn't work right now, as I'm getting a domain for the company and then my host gives me billing/support software, so in a few days I'll have that all integrated into the site. Well, looking forward to the layout reviews.

http://www.eternalfatum.net
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sorry if this isn't allowed, but I really need some comments on what I could improve on. If I'm not allowed to bump a topic, I'm sorry.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6995/errorwq2.jpg that is the first thing that bothers me ... I'm at work so I only have IE6 and this is what I see ... And then when I roll over the "home" link the whole bar moves up, so basically the "out Us" dissappears, but for all the other links it stays the same ...

The W3C Validator found 7 errors in you coding, you can click here to see them ...

You could also disable the link of the page that a user is on, for example, if a user is on the "home" page, you could disable the "home" link and make it another colour (or rollover) state ... that way, users will know which page they are on, and they won't redirect to the page that they are already on ...

your site wrote:
Client Testimonials Go Here

I think you should put something in there and not just that, even if you have to make up the first one or something ...

your site wrote:
Here is a domain checker to see if your domain name is taken. Please refer to the chart below for prices for each type of domain name.

There's nothing there ... I don't see it ... ?

On the "contact" form ... for everything there is an error message with a 'return' link, except for when you get the security question wrong ... then there is no 'return' link ...

The design page is empty aswell ...

Please click on the "forums" link and tell me what you see ... I can promise you that that is not a forum ... that is your website-directory ... or some website directory ...

Okay that's a start ...
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I could of sworn it was valid. For the contact page, it's suppose to list what you entered in and if you don't fill anything out, then it'll say not all fields are filled out. The domain checker is in the billing software that my web host has for it's clients, so that'll be in tomorrow most likely. The forums I deleted, I'm installing vBullentin for those. As for the navbar messing up, I tested it out in IE6 and 7 and nothing like you're describing is happening for me. I'll have some other people test that out to see if they get it.

**EDIT**

I have it valid now. I looked at the contact page and it's doing exactly what it's suppose to do. It tells the user what they inputted and it sends to whichever department they selected. I'm ordering my domain for it tomorrow, so once that's ordered I can get the client/billing system installed and have the domain checker/login integrated into the site. I'm installing a forum (vBulletin) for client support as well. I still don't know what you're talking about with the navbar. I have had 3 people check it in their IE6 browsers and they said it looked fine to them, nothing moved up, etc.
  • Boke
  • Student
  • Student
  • Boke
  • Loc: Hiroshima, Japan

Post 3+ Months Ago

The banner could use a little work, maybe a little clearer?

Overall I thought it was good
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look at the nav bar image I posted ... it has a "out Us" below the other text ... 6.0.2900.2180 is my work's IE version number ...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser is right of course - the nav bar is behaving weirdly, i.e. when I roll over the buttons only 'home' behaves as it should - all others extend the whole nav bar for another line because of a stray bit of text that wondered in.... (says "out Us", so I suppose something in the "About Us" button is misbehaving...) I don't know what it is because I cannot see it in the code... but hey I'm a beginner so that maybe doesn't mean much....what have you got in your "nav" class css?

The banner background looks a little foreboding to me, more like the background for a Quake V ad than a hosting provider. I'll try to make an alternative version for you if work obligations allow.... just as an idea of course
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Code: [ Select ]
.nav {
    background-color: #414141;
    margin: 0px auto 0px auto;
    color: #ffffff;
    font-family: verdana;
    font-size: 10px;
    width: 800px;
    height: 35px;
}
.nav a {
    height: 27px;
    padding-top: 8px;
    float: left;
    text-align: center;
    width: 100px;
    color: #29d212;
    font-weight: bold;
    text-decoration: none;
}
.nav a:hover {
    height: 25px;
    margin-top: 2px;
    background-color: #29d212;
    background-image: url(images/sel.gif);
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-position: center bottom;
    color: #000000;
}
  1. .nav {
  2.     background-color: #414141;
  3.     margin: 0px auto 0px auto;
  4.     color: #ffffff;
  5.     font-family: verdana;
  6.     font-size: 10px;
  7.     width: 800px;
  8.     height: 35px;
  9. }
  10. .nav a {
  11.     height: 27px;
  12.     padding-top: 8px;
  13.     float: left;
  14.     text-align: center;
  15.     width: 100px;
  16.     color: #29d212;
  17.     font-weight: bold;
  18.     text-decoration: none;
  19.     float: left;
  20. }
  21. .nav a:hover {
  22.     height: 25px;
  23.     margin-top: 2px;
  24.     background-color: #29d212;
  25.     background-image: url(images/sel.gif);
  26.     background-repeat: no-repeat;
  27.     background-position: center bottom;
  28.     font-weight: bold;
  29.     color: #000000;
  30.     float: left;
  31. }

See where you have that .nav a:hover ... I think inside there you should take out the margin-top:2px; and replace it with padding-top:8px; and also add a width:100px; max-width:100px; to it to make sure the width doesn't increase ... I think that should work ... I can't test it now unfortunately ...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

no it still doesn't work.... presuming I've done correctly what you suggested.... I've changed the css to :

height: 25px;
margin-top: 2px;
width:100px;
max-width:100px;
}
  1. .nav a:hover {
  2. height: 25px;
  3. margin-top: 2px;
  4. width:100px;
  5. max-width:100px;
  6. background-color: #29d212;
  7. background-image: url(images/sel.gif);
  8. background-repeat: no-repeat;
  9. background-position: center bottom;
  10. font-weight: bold;
  11. color: #000000;
  12. float: left;
  13. }

I don't know if I was supposed to write both width and max-width, but I tried with both or just with max- and it still behaves same as before, as far as I can see.

now back to legitimate work before I get fired........

(ps sorry to be jumping in like this I was just curious to see if it would work)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like this ... all I did was replace the margin-top:2px; with padding-top:8px;, and I forgot to mention that the height should be the same as the .nav a ...
height: 27px;
padding-top:8px;
width:100px;
max-width:100px;
}
  1. .nav a:hover {
  2. height: 27px;
  3. padding-top:8px;
  4. width:100px;
  5. max-width:100px;
  6. background-color: #29d212;
  7. background-image: url(images/sel.gif);
  8. background-repeat: no-repeat;
  9. background-position: center bottom;
  10. font-weight: bold;
  11. color: #000000;
  12. float: left;
  13. }

Now they both have to be the same size imo
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

no it still doesn't work. maybe I'm doing something wrong though.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I've got it! it's not the css - the css is fine. it's the breaks in the html, for some weird reason. When I made the whole "nav" div tag one long unbroken line, suddenly it all worked fine. don't ask why :)
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the notice on the bar. I'll look at my HTML/CSS file and see what's going on. I posted my site at another business forum and they act like the layout needs to be redone. So, I'm going to do a new layout with more hosting features to it. Thanks for the help.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

A pleasure :)

I'm pretty sure it's the HTML breaks - I tried out all the CSS variants righteous_trespasser recommended, but the problem persisted until I took all the breaks out of the HTML that regulates the nav bar - then it worked like a charm.

I really like that nav bar.
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried the CSS to, but I can't test on IE6 (dont have it). Curse you microsoft for not allowing me to install it even if I have ie7 :(. See if it works in IE6 now.

This is why EVERYONE should switch to FireFox. They actually follow the web standards unlike Microsux.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just clicked on the link from your first post in this thread - the same glitch is still there. You fixed the HTML?
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I fixed the CSS and HTML. Hmmm.

I looked through all my included files code and I haven't seen anything that would be showing 'out Us'. Burn IE6!

I'll look at it some more when I get back from class.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

curses and damnation! listen, give me an email address and I'll send you the exact file in which I managed to solve the problem - it's just the toolbar on its own but maybe if you just copy that code (both html and css) into yours - it could just possibly solve it. that method sometimes works for me.

also i want to work on your header, if I may? maybe send you the results in a day or two

if you don't mind that is....
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of course you may. I have someone else doing one for me, so if he doesn't finish it today (he said he would) then I could use yours. I'm linking to whoever does one for me, so it's not like you won't get credit. My email is eason.bryce[at]gmail[dot]com. I'm getting a domain tomorrow, after I finish thinking of the name -_-. I'm like 99.9% sure it'll be Eason Hosting Solutions.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok mailing files now. I'm sure I won't get the banner done today (unless a miracle interferes and my boss is struck dead by lightning or something heh heh) but I'll do you one tomorrow - you can use whichever one you like better I guess.

lemme know if this copy paste thing works
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I copied/pasted it. See if it's working now in IE6.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

successsssssssssssssss!

happy happy :)
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now just need more people to test on IE6. I'll die if it was just success on your IE6. All I think I have left to do is to integrate the client/billing system, get a nice header, and SEO SEO SEO SEO SEO SEO and ADVERTISE!
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

that's the ticket :)

hahaha we seem to be at about the same place, you and I. I'm still not too sure how to go about the whole SEO SEO SEO business though.....

I'm pretty sure tresspasser will tell us if it works on his machine. (he seems to be the forum's guardian angel :) That will be indicative as he spotted the error to begin with.... and somehow I've got a good feeling about it. I think it will work now...... (I'll also check on my home machine and maybe a friend's if I get to it)

I'll send that header tomorrow.

keep on truckin'......
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Home machine's IE: check!
Work's IE machine: undecided! (lol, will check tomorrow at work and let you know ...)

celandine wrote:
he seems to be the forum's guardian angel

Thanks ... I guess ... too bad I'm not a moderator 'eh?
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

All that's left to do is SEO and get my domain and integrate the client/billing software/domain checker. How would you all suggest advertising for me? I don't have a lot of money, so I'm hoping if I can get a few clients, then maybe I could afford Google Adwords. I have an Adsense account now, but I don't really want ads on the site.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

another independent IE6 version - check!

Lookin' good, boys.......... :)

I think we've licked it.....

to trespasser - moderator or not, I think you're doing just fine.... ;)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

All right ... the final check ...

IE6 at work: check!

celandine wrote:
to trespasser - moderator or not, I think you're doing just fine.... ;)

thanks!
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did another layout just to see what you all thought of it. If everyone thinks it's a lot better, I might use that one. It's at eternalfatum.net/v2
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol ... it has that same error we discussed for the previous layout ... this time it says "ums" in the second row ...

I like the second one a lot ... you could maybe just make it as wide as the first one though ... people don't tend to use 800x600 anymore ... http://www.ozzu.com/website-design-forum/800x600-now-old-school-t80852.html
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 62 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers