SITE REVIEW: Eason Hosting Solutions

• Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce
  • Loc: North Carolina

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm starting my own web hosting business and I need some input on the layout I have setup for this. The only thing I think needs improving is the header (I suck at them). The client login doesn't work right now, as I'm getting a domain for the company and then my host gives me billing/support software, so in a few days I'll have that all integrated into the site. Well, looking forward to the layout reviews.

http://www.eternalfatum.net
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sorry if this isn't allowed, but I really need some comments on what I could improve on. If I'm not allowed to bump a topic, I'm sorry.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6995/errorwq2.jpg that is the first thing that bothers me ... I'm at work so I only have IE6 and this is what I see ... And then when I roll over the "home" link the whole bar moves up, so basically the "out Us" dissappears, but for all the other links it stays the same ...

The W3C Validator found 7 errors in you coding, you can click here to see them ...

You could also disable the link of the page that a user is on, for example, if a user is on the "home" page, you could disable the "home" link and make it another colour (or rollover) state ... that way, users will know which page they are on, and they won't redirect to the page that they are already on ...

your site wrote:
Client Testimonials Go Here

I think you should put something in there and not just that, even if you have to make up the first one or something ...

your site wrote:
Here is a domain checker to see if your domain name is taken. Please refer to the chart below for prices for each type of domain name.

There's nothing there ... I don't see it ... ?

On the "contact" form ... for everything there is an error message with a 'return' link, except for when you get the security question wrong ... then there is no 'return' link ...

The design page is empty aswell ...

Please click on the "forums" link and tell me what you see ... I can promise you that that is not a forum ... that is your website-directory ... or some website directory ...

Okay that's a start ...
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I could of sworn it was valid. For the contact page, it's suppose to list what you entered in and if you don't fill anything out, then it'll say not all fields are filled out. The domain checker is in the billing software that my web host has for it's clients, so that'll be in tomorrow most likely. The forums I deleted, I'm installing vBullentin for those. As for the navbar messing up, I tested it out in IE6 and 7 and nothing like you're describing is happening for me. I'll have some other people test that out to see if they get it.

**EDIT**

I have it valid now. I looked at the contact page and it's doing exactly what it's suppose to do. It tells the user what they inputted and it sends to whichever department they selected. I'm ordering my domain for it tomorrow, so once that's ordered I can get the client/billing system installed and have the domain checker/login integrated into the site. I'm installing a forum (vBulletin) for client support as well. I still don't know what you're talking about with the navbar. I have had 3 people check it in their IE6 browsers and they said it looked fine to them, nothing moved up, etc.
  • Boke
  • Student
  • Student
  • Boke
  • Loc: Hiroshima, Japan

Post 3+ Months Ago

The banner could use a little work, maybe a little clearer?

Overall I thought it was good
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look at the nav bar image I posted ... it has a "out Us" below the other text ... 6.0.2900.2180 is my work's IE version number ...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser is right of course - the nav bar is behaving weirdly, i.e. when I roll over the buttons only 'home' behaves as it should - all others extend the whole nav bar for another line because of a stray bit of text that wondered in.... (says "out Us", so I suppose something in the "About Us" button is misbehaving...) I don't know what it is because I cannot see it in the code... but hey I'm a beginner so that maybe doesn't mean much....what have you got in your "nav" class css?

The banner background looks a little foreboding to me, more like the background for a Quake V ad than a hosting provider. I'll try to make an alternative version for you if work obligations allow.... just as an idea of course
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Code: [ Select ]
.nav {
    background-color: #414141;
    margin: 0px auto 0px auto;
    color: #ffffff;
    font-family: verdana;
    font-size: 10px;
    width: 800px;
    height: 35px;
}
.nav a {
    height: 27px;
    padding-top: 8px;
    float: left;
    text-align: center;
    width: 100px;
    color: #29d212;
    font-weight: bold;
    text-decoration: none;
}
.nav a:hover {
    height: 25px;
    margin-top: 2px;
    background-color: #29d212;
    background-image: url(images/sel.gif);
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-position: center bottom;
    color: #000000;
}
  1. .nav {
  2.     background-color: #414141;
  3.     margin: 0px auto 0px auto;
  4.     color: #ffffff;
  5.     font-family: verdana;
  6.     font-size: 10px;
  7.     width: 800px;
  8.     height: 35px;
  9. }
  10. .nav a {
  11.     height: 27px;
  12.     padding-top: 8px;
  13.     float: left;
  14.     text-align: center;
  15.     width: 100px;
  16.     color: #29d212;
  17.     font-weight: bold;
  18.     text-decoration: none;
  19.     float: left;
  20. }
  21. .nav a:hover {
  22.     height: 25px;
  23.     margin-top: 2px;
  24.     background-color: #29d212;
  25.     background-image: url(images/sel.gif);
  26.     background-repeat: no-repeat;
  27.     background-position: center bottom;
  28.     font-weight: bold;
  29.     color: #000000;
  30.     float: left;
  31. }

See where you have that .nav a:hover ... I think inside there you should take out the margin-top:2px; and replace it with padding-top:8px; and also add a width:100px; max-width:100px; to it to make sure the width doesn't increase ... I think that should work ... I can't test it now unfortunately ...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

no it still doesn't work.... presuming I've done correctly what you suggested.... I've changed the css to :

margin-top: 2px;
width:100px;
max-width:100px;
}
  1. .nav a:hover {
  2. height: 25px;
  3. margin-top: 2px;
  4. width:100px;
  5. max-width:100px;
  6. background-color: #29d212;
  7. background-image: url(images/sel.gif);
  8. background-repeat: no-repeat;
  9. background-position: center bottom;
  10. font-weight: bold;
  11. color: #000000;
  12. float: left;
  13. }

I don't know if I was supposed to write both width and max-width, but I tried with both or just with max- and it still behaves same as before, as far as I can see.

now back to legitimate work before I get fired........

(ps sorry to be jumping in like this I was just curious to see if it would work)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like this ... all I did was replace the margin-top:2px; with padding-top:8px;, and I forgot to mention that the height should be the same as the .nav a ...
height: 27px;
padding-top:8px;
width:100px;
max-width:100px;
}
  1. .nav a:hover {
  2. height: 27px;
  3. padding-top:8px;
  4. width:100px;
  5. max-width:100px;
  6. background-color: #29d212;
  7. background-image: url(images/sel.gif);
  8. background-repeat: no-repeat;
  9. background-position: center bottom;
  10. font-weight: bold;
  11. color: #000000;
  12. float: left;
  13. }

Now they both have to be the same size imo
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

no it still doesn't work. maybe I'm doing something wrong though.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I've got it! it's not the css - the css is fine. it's the breaks in the html, for some weird reason. When I made the whole "nav" div tag one long unbroken line, suddenly it all worked fine. don't ask why :)
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the notice on the bar. I'll look at my HTML/CSS file and see what's going on. I posted my site at another business forum and they act like the layout needs to be redone. So, I'm going to do a new layout with more hosting features to it. Thanks for the help.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

A pleasure :)

I'm pretty sure it's the HTML breaks - I tried out all the CSS variants righteous_trespasser recommended, but the problem persisted until I took all the breaks out of the HTML that regulates the nav bar - then it worked like a charm.

I really like that nav bar.
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried the CSS to, but I can't test on IE6 (dont have it). Curse you microsoft for not allowing me to install it even if I have ie7 :(. See if it works in IE6 now.

This is why EVERYONE should switch to FireFox. They actually follow the web standards unlike Microsux.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just clicked on the link from your first post in this thread - the same glitch is still there. You fixed the HTML?
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I fixed the CSS and HTML. Hmmm.

I looked through all my included files code and I haven't seen anything that would be showing 'out Us'. Burn IE6!

I'll look at it some more when I get back from class.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

curses and damnation! listen, give me an email address and I'll send you the exact file in which I managed to solve the problem - it's just the toolbar on its own but maybe if you just copy that code (both html and css) into yours - it could just possibly solve it. that method sometimes works for me.

also i want to work on your header, if I may? maybe send you the results in a day or two

if you don't mind that is....
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of course you may. I have someone else doing one for me, so if he doesn't finish it today (he said he would) then I could use yours. I'm linking to whoever does one for me, so it's not like you won't get credit. My email is eason.bryce[at]gmail[dot]com. I'm getting a domain tomorrow, after I finish thinking of the name -_-. I'm like 99.9% sure it'll be Eason Hosting Solutions.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok mailing files now. I'm sure I won't get the banner done today (unless a miracle interferes and my boss is struck dead by lightning or something heh heh) but I'll do you one tomorrow - you can use whichever one you like better I guess.

lemme know if this copy paste thing works
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I copied/pasted it. See if it's working now in IE6.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

successsssssssssssssss!

happy happy :)
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now just need more people to test on IE6. I'll die if it was just success on your IE6. All I think I have left to do is to integrate the client/billing system, get a nice header, and SEO SEO SEO SEO SEO SEO and ADVERTISE!
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

that's the ticket :)

hahaha we seem to be at about the same place, you and I. I'm still not too sure how to go about the whole SEO SEO SEO business though.....

I'm pretty sure tresspasser will tell us if it works on his machine. (he seems to be the forum's guardian angel :) That will be indicative as he spotted the error to begin with.... and somehow I've got a good feeling about it. I think it will work now...... (I'll also check on my home machine and maybe a friend's if I get to it)

I'll send that header tomorrow.

keep on truckin'......
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Home machine's IE: check!
Work's IE machine: undecided! (lol, will check tomorrow at work and let you know ...)

celandine wrote:
he seems to be the forum's guardian angel

Thanks ... I guess ... too bad I'm not a moderator 'eh?
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

All that's left to do is SEO and get my domain and integrate the client/billing software/domain checker. How would you all suggest advertising for me? I don't have a lot of money, so I'm hoping if I can get a few clients, then maybe I could afford Google Adwords. I have an Adsense account now, but I don't really want ads on the site.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

another independent IE6 version - check!

Lookin' good, boys.......... :)

I think we've licked it.....

to trespasser - moderator or not, I think you're doing just fine.... ;)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

All right ... the final check ...

IE6 at work: check!

celandine wrote:
to trespasser - moderator or not, I think you're doing just fine.... ;)

thanks!
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did another layout just to see what you all thought of it. If everyone thinks it's a lot better, I might use that one. It's at eternalfatum.net/v2
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol ... it has that same error we discussed for the previous layout ... this time it says "ums" in the second row ...

I like the second one a lot ... you could maybe just make it as wide as the first one though ... people don't tend to use 800x600 anymore ... http://www.ozzu.com/website-design-forum/800x600-now-old-school-t80852.html
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did the same method as the first layout. Does it still mess up in that one?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now that it's wider it doesn't anymore ... maybe just center the links, IMO that'd look better ...
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

How many pages should a hosting site have? I'm thinking not to many as it's just basically for plans, etc.

I'm actually liking this layout a LOT more than the first one. I just need to learn to do headers XD. Now, validating to see if it's valid.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't see a point in having 2000 pages if you are offering hosting ... I'd say like four ... home, prices, contact, and uhmm ... yeah ... something else ... maybe about ...
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm redoing my plans page to offer more detail and then I'm adding like a small feature of the plans on the homepage.
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've updated my site a lot. Please review the new layout and the updated plans page. What would be good to put in the right column of each of the plans I have. (features or something)?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay so on the "plans" page, you have everything repeated twice in each plans block ... why is that? And there is no header image yet, still working on that? I'm also assuming that you're still busy with the login section ?
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to think of what I could put on the other half of each plan. Would server features like, PHP, MySQL, PERL, etc. work. Or should I just put like an image or something on the right side of each plan. Also, what do you think about the home page? Are having a sample of plans up there good.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually like your home page like it is, but that's just my opinion ... And I think that you should say what type of server it is below the rest, and then have an image ... I think the images will look good ...
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

So put like server features below the hosting plans or put that on the main page?

EDIT: Rate the whole site again now if you don't mind. I'm getting confused with all these posts :p. I'll check tomorrow because its 4:30AM here and I got class tomorrow. Later.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

clean review

W3C Validator is clean ... Nice one ... Just remember to add a character encoding ...

You can disable the link of the page that auser is on, for example, if a user is on the "home" page, you could disable the "home" link and make it another colour (or rollover state), this way users won't redirect to the page that they are already on, and they'll know which page they are currently on ...

Then the plans on the "home" page, I think you should make them all the same height so that it looks more uniform with min-height:300px; (or many ever pixels high the boxes are) ... and I think you should put all 4 in one row instead of the 4th one just there on its own in the second row ...

Then I think you should center the whole nav-bar in the middle of the div.nav ... I think adding a text-align:center; should work ...

Also remeber that you still need a header image ... I think you should make this one a bit less 'grunge' than the previous one ... make it more smooth and soothing ... Because with a more 'blocky' site like your, a smooth header could break that 'blockyness' ...

On the "plans" page, you should remove the duplicate words in each plan's block and I think you should find/create a suitable image/icon for each of them and put it either on the right or left hand side ... Right would be better IMO ...

On the 'contact form' the validation works great except for when all fields are filled in and the security question is incorrect, than it doesn't give a "click here to go back" link ... it just leaves you with "You got the security question wrong" ...

Remember to put a link to the forum on the 'support' page aswell, seeing that a forum is a type of support ...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the new layout :)

needs images though.....

my daytime job boss just leaving the office so I'll have some time to play with the graphics - I'll do a header and maybe some other pics as well - just as an idea of what it could look like............

ps only one thing from the clean review I disagree with - I like the nav bar aligned to the left.... it doesn't have enough elements to sit in the center, the sides will be gaping somehow IMO..... this is of course just a personal preference................
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the review. I'll see what kind of image I can come up with for the plans page. I'm thinking of something that says EHS or something similar.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've mailed you a jpeg of a potential banner.... really simple but I think it'd fit nicely. I'll send you another file in a few minutes
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got that image. Love it =). I'll put a link to your site with a Banner Designed By: you in the footer =)
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

YAY! I'll make a proper little link banner in a while, maybe you could put that up when it's done. I'll make it color-compatible with your site....

here's two more images coming to your e-mail now - ideas for pictures.... see if you like.... the images are copyrighted, but they are royalty free and should only cost you a few bucks on StockExchange ( http://www.sxc.hu/ )

Of course these are just suggestions..... there's tons of similar pics there... they also give pictures for free but most of those are not good enough for a professional look

sending now.....
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like em. Send me the links to those images from StockExchange and I'll pay for em. Nice job with the banner though. Get me a link banner for your site and I'll link to ya.

Which is better ehsolutions.com or eh-solutions.com
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

god damnit :(...Someone took both my names -_-...

Time to start searching for a new name :(.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

how about eh_solutions? would that work? though chances are it's also taken...

on the subject of SEO, you've probably seen it already but this article - http://www.seobook.com/archives/001792.shtml - gave me some neat ideas...

glad you like the pics. I'll chase up the links now.
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I'm going to go with easonhosting. It's just like what I wanted but without the solutions XD. Thanks for those links to those images, I'm signuping up for them now.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

easonhosting sounds good, and it's easy to remember. 'solutions' means nothing anyways :)

tell me one thing - that little white triangle - arrow - like thing that appears at the bottom of the highlighted section of the navbar - how did you put that in? it's real neat
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got it YAY!

Just get the image and put it as a background-image on the rollover tab. Here's my code for the navbar.

#nav a {
text-align: center;
width: 100px;
text-decoration: none;
}
#nav a:hover {
background-color: #005c90;
}
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks - can't wait to try that one out. looks kinda snazzy.

must go now - I'll send the banner first thing in the morning. I'll make it as big as I can and you can optimize to whatever size you're comfortable with

g'night
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I meant make it like 900x120 or something. When I said big, I meant the file size, not the banner.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bryce just edit your post (two posts up) and add some [code] tags around the code, that way it's a bit easier to read ...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe there's a little problem with your server? I can't view the site for some reason :scratchhead:
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm switching servers. I'll look into whats happening.

EDIT: It's fixed at the eternalfatum.net domain. I'm still waiting for the new domain to resolve.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

banner sent.....

(and when I said big, I meant file size too.......... lol)
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Send me your link banner so I can add it up. Thanks for the reviews people.
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is now at easonhosting.com. I just have the client system to integrate and to find a cheap domain reseller.
  • bbidpa2
  • bbidpa2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your images below :basic", "power" ... are too big. 298 KB? Resize them.
I like your design.
  • Shadows
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Shadows

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a good design, I just don't like the header in all honestly, everything else looks good. I think with a better header the site would look alive.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 62 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers