SITE REVIEW: EducatedEarth.net

• bringmepie
  • bringmepie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hio, I run a humanitarian science and technology media website called EducatedEarth.net . I've been asking around about the current layout and have received mixed responses. I started designing a new layout but people preferred the one I've got in place. It's only a rough sketch but here's the general theme of the new one: Layout 2.

What do you all think of the current layout? What about the new one?

Note: The banner changes every day of the week.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

You will always receive mixed responses ... that's a natural thing, I don't there is one site on the web that everyone is going to like ... or will there ever be ...

The W3C Validator found 88 errors which is not very good ... you can click here to see them ... Also you haven't specified a character encoding ...

Then please won't you disable the link of the page that a user is on, for example if a user is on the "videos" page then you could disable the "videos" link and make it another colour (or rollover state), then the user will know where he\she is and won't redirect to the same page that he\she is on ...

Look out for liks like the one you've got (dump your links) ... Many a time things like these are frowned upon by search engines ... Just make sure that the site is trustworthy ...

I see you've used a mix of Tables and Divs where I think it'd be better only using one of them (Divs preferred) ...

The links at the bottom of the page ("Contact us", "Advertise", "About", etc) are very hard to see ... firstly because they are so hidden at the bottom o the page, and because it's black on a dark colour ...

On the "Articles" page there is a gap between "Latest Articles" and the top of that section ... Also on that page, the heading seem a little small to me ... and the "Posted by" is almost unreadable ...

Then why does "Save the world" open in a new window? It's still part of the site isn't it? ... It's funny how I always think of "heroes" when I hear that phrase ... Save the Cheerleader, Save the world ... LOL ...

On the "Save the world" page, the right hand side menu suddenly disappears, and is now right at the bottom of the screen, that whole pages layout has gone messy ...

When I submitted an incorrect form, I get a message that tells me to go back and change the form ... Maybe just put a link there that links back to the "register" page ... And also the heading of that little section then says "Message, read it" ... doesn't that seem a bit unprofessional ... ?

And then a choice between the two layouts ... the one you have now is the winner in my opinion ...
  • boostinghits
  • boostinghits
  • Loc: Newcastle UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice site
  • bringmepie
  • bringmepie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all of the advice, I'll get started on fixing that stuff up asap.
  • Nebojsa Stanojevic
  • Loc: Around The World

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi
In today world full of "reality" bull... it's so nice to find something to open your mind a bit. Very well illustrated. I loved pictures and videos, but all information is very usefull and easy to navigate
  • kakarotmf
  • kakarotmf
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think your Donation Button should be more prominent, maybe above Search or where Featured Media is currently.

At first I didn't realize that your content is divided into Articles, Videos, and Images. The current setup makes me forget about checking out the latest images, since they're way at the bottom. Maybe have 3 columns (1 each for the latest Articles, Videos, and Images).

Your Mission Statement pushes the current content down a lot. Maybe at least remove the banner pic, if not move it to the side?

I'm not crazy about the links list either.
  • marblehost
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • marblehost

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your website looks professionla.
And I like it's style and color.
You wesite have many content,
May need some catalog
  • Majik_Imaje
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Point Hope Alaska

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sure like the first layout, not the second one. I was amazed at how much you had. to keep me busy on your web site.

I sure enjoyed reading some of the interesting articles and the layout was impeciable. I am sure I will back to read more .

Nice terriffic job in design and layout! 5 stars!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers