SITE REVIEW: Elimination Communication

• absolutes
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Content is paramount here. I was going for 1) informative 2)easy to navigate 3)credible

Please be gentle, if you can, this is my first site from scratch. I very much appriciate any help you can offer.

http://www.ec-information.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Confemo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Confemo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the navigation the right. However, there are a couple things I would change...

1. The top and bottom nav bars need some type of hover effect. People expect to see the links change when they put their mouse over a link.

2. Change the links in the articles from the default link style. The whole site is black and white. The underlined blue links just look out of place to me.

3. The right menu overlaps the bottom nav if the content doesn't stretch the page far enough. Look at the search page to see what I'm talking about.
  • absolutes
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks!
  • _mike_
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

The mouseover in the menu on the right makes the page jump. Don't increase or decrease size of letters EVER on a mouseover. It makes the entire page being reorganised.

Just an underline appearing on mouseover, or colour changing of the letters is enough.

Other thing... your website starts out with a long piece of text.... that just doesn't work.

The first thing visitors need to see are one or two lines, just grabbing their attention and what tells them why they should read on.

something like:

Welcome,
So you want to know why it is important to start potty training your child at an early age?
You came to the right spot!

Michael
  • beefykoala
  • beefykoala

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like that the site is clean and unclutters. Its really easy on the eyes. One thing I would change... but it may just be a personal preference. The menu on right is stationary. I know this is getting more popular, but people arent used to it yet and it just throws me off. If thats going to be the new thing in menus i would suggest letting people get used to it on other peoples sites before you incorporate it on your own. I also think you need a phase or so on the from page in a box or larger text explaning the content of the site more. Hope it helped, good luck!

Paul
  • Lamia_Poi
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pros:

nice design
clean
uncluttered
nice black and white effect
Informative
Straight Forward
Easy To Navigate
i like the fact you included a site map aswell.. not many sites do that now

Cons:
Color change, it's too contrasted try a combination of reds, oranges, yellows and whites, but black and white, although very pleasing, it looks very for lack of a better word, Cut and straight and Contrasting, add some color to soften the page and make it more eye pleasing

the right hand menu gets bigger with the mouse over. change that to keep it static and the same size
  • absolutes
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

the menu at right doesn't change size on mouse-over in any of: safari, firefox, camino, or opera on my mac. I can't run ie on this computer, it freezes up. Are you who have this problem with the menu using ie? or is it a mac/pc thing?

thanks so much for all your comments, I'll add a little something to the front to catch the eye, in addition to working out the size change issue.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to make the menu scroll along with the rest of the pages, your google ad's are not being showed correctly because of that. The rest of your menu is also not being displayed properly because of that.

Maybe change the fonts, include a font group, don't just let the browser choose..

Code: [ Select ]
<p class="credits">© [b]Copywrite[/b] 2006, Mountaintop Publications</p>    

Copywrite is spelt incorrectly its "Copyright"
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) informative. I thought the content was quite good informative yes, but I'm not certain it hit the mark
2) easy to navigate yes, but I totally didn't like the font on the right nav
3) credible - hard to say.

The only experience I have with potty training is my own daughter. I'm going to give you a really bad reference here but there's a point to it
http://www.thepottytrainer.com/indexgtmonnt.html

That webpage totally sucks and all it is is an ad, but I remember 16 some years ago when my ex-wife and I tried to train my daughter, she (ex) bought a book titled similar to potty training in three days. All it came down to really was a rewards system (M&M's) and a lot of positive encouragement when she did the deal..

What's odd is it really only took three days.

OK. now I'll try to go gentle on the rest. I can't say I like the "black & white" approach to the site. As a "parent" I can't say the appearance sparks my interest. Where's the pictures of the kids?

I remember being glad when my parents 1965'ish black and white Zenith TV died and we got our first color TV. IMHO lack of color and images on a websiite is unappealing.

You have to remember your audience/targeted viewers. It's all about kids. Get some pictures of kids up there and make it look attractive. That stark black and white makes it feel like a bland university student's thesis or something.

I know, that's not taking it easy on you, but that part really could use some work if you want to attract and maintain visitors.
  • absolutes
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

:) what would I do without you all!
  • reciprocal_link
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • reciprocal_link
  • Loc: Bemidji, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site looks good for your first website. :)
I do have some suggestions though.
I noticed that you are using a <title> </title> tag but forgot your description tag and keywords.
I'd suggest reading this forum thread to help you out there:
http://www.newworldproducts.org/forum/v ... .php?t=136

You don't have a logo.. I'd suggest using photoshop and adobe illustrator to build a logo. If you need a hand feel free to give me a buzz from my website.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers