SITE REVIEW: Equity Challenge

• roje0913
  • Student
  • Student
  • roje0913

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its been up for about a month now, Im just looking for an honest objective comment or two, i can take the hard shots, its my goal to improve it to where its as good as can be.

http://www.equitychallenge.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• noway
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

very nice color scheme and layout, only downside for me is the page looks a bit 'buzy' there is so much content on the page its difficult to focus one one thing, without something else drawing the eye.
my personal opinion...
  • roje0913
  • Student
  • Student
  • roje0913

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i get kind of torn between adding too much stuff on the home page and attepting to make it relavent enough for the search engines to pick it up. Thanks your the comment!
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Topic has been unlocked, please resume your reviews.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm getting a horizontal scroll bar and it appears that your flash is forcing browsers to suck up all available cpu resources...with both Netscape Navigator and FireFox running and viewing your site's front door, they are pulling in 87% of cpu resources.

When I unload your page, they return to a more appropriate 8-11%.
  • roje0913
  • Student
  • Student
  • roje0913

Post 3+ Months Ago

what would you suggest as a remedy to that(resource usage)? Also, there is fixed width deliberately, but do you see having a horizontal scroll as a large negative?
  • sazn
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your mixing up far to many visual styles on one page. Pick one and stick with it. Currently the appearance doesn't flow well at all. As mentioned above, sort out the flash banner. The thing is pulling 50% of my cpu, total unnecessary for what it's doing. If you can't reduce it i'd recommend you just scrap it.

Oh also, check out the W3 validator website, i just put your code through...."Failed validation, 48 errors"
  • tylerdurden
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Code: [ Select ]
<meta name="DC.Title" content="Equity Challenge - Free online stock trading game, investing tools, trading articles and stock forum for day traders, investors, and people who want to learn and compete.">

<meta name="DC.Creator" content="www.equitychallenge.com">
<meta name="DC.Subject" content="Business and Economy">
<meta name="DC.Description" content="Equity Challenge - Free online stock trading game, investing tools, trading articles and stock forum for day traders, investors, and people who want to learn and compete.">
<meta name="DC.Publisher" content="www.equitychallenge.com">
<meta name="DC.Contributor" content="www.equitychallenge.com">

<meta name="DC.Type" content="Interactive Resource">
<meta name="DC.Format" content="HTML">
<meta name="DC.Identifier" content="http://www.equitychallenge.com">
<meta name="DC.Language" content="en">
<meta name="DC.Coverage" content="Global">
<meta name="DC.Rights" content="© 2006 EquityChallenge.com">
  1. <meta name="DC.Title" content="Equity Challenge - Free online stock trading game, investing tools, trading articles and stock forum for day traders, investors, and people who want to learn and compete.">
  2. <meta name="DC.Creator" content="www.equitychallenge.com">
  3. <meta name="DC.Subject" content="Business and Economy">
  4. <meta name="DC.Description" content="Equity Challenge - Free online stock trading game, investing tools, trading articles and stock forum for day traders, investors, and people who want to learn and compete.">
  5. <meta name="DC.Publisher" content="www.equitychallenge.com">
  6. <meta name="DC.Contributor" content="www.equitychallenge.com">
  7. <meta name="DC.Type" content="Interactive Resource">
  8. <meta name="DC.Format" content="HTML">
  9. <meta name="DC.Identifier" content="http://www.equitychallenge.com">
  10. <meta name="DC.Language" content="en">
  11. <meta name="DC.Coverage" content="Global">
  12. <meta name="DC.Rights" content="© 2006 EquityChallenge.com">

Talk about over-kill. You don't need all this meta data, it serves no useful purpose.

The design is too crowded, you need to form an understanding of visual hierarchy. Try make you design as clean and simple as possible otherwise you'll scare away visitors :(
  • roje0913
  • Student
  • Student
  • roje0913

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the comments, taking all this stuff into account and waiting for all i the comments i can get before making changes. Keep em coming!
  • johnmeloche
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the effort to put the site together is high.

You may want to consider pending more time incorporating your forus to match your website. When someone visits the orum they will wonder if it is still for your main website.

The page resolution is too wide. Tone it down to 1024x

I also notice a HUGE blank space at the bottom o the main page.

Otherwise. I do like the fact the the stock ticker is stati and stays in view all the time.
  • roje0913
  • Student
  • Student
  • roje0913

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes the bottom is simply a product of poor planning and coding to allow the "leader board" section. I intend to change that along with the forum colors once i process all the feedback and decide which things are discovered and found to be most relevant. Thanks again, seriously all, this is really helping me.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers