SITE REVIEW: eWebDevelopment.net

• bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a new online business website providing webdesign and development services.

http://www.ewebdevelopment.net

Please share your comments on visual appeal, navigation, content quality, etc.... Thanks! :D

KNOWN ISSUES:
Mozilla Bug (working on fixing this!! ugh)
Long load time (have to optimize some images)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well obviously the moz 'bug' lol wtf have you done there :lol: Best bet for sorting that out is respect the web standards, make your page validate and then go from there. It's a lot easier if you code for standards-compliance then adjust for crappy browsers rather than the other way around.

I think that the 4-column effect is not suited to a page this wide. I would make it a fluid effect so that people with larger screens do not get the content all mushed up.

Personally I would try to get some business from people though other means than the website as your portfolio consists of one site. I would drop your own site from the portfolio - it's too obvious and reflects badly upon you. The other site 404's

Best bet for optimisation is to whack the js in an external file to save re-downloading it with each new page, and take the text out of the images (i think I will be putting that in my signature now.... :lol: ) Also removing spacer gifs and using some css to do you margins or whatever people do with spacer gifs :?

It's a nice looking site, and I'm sure if you get some more portfolio sites up and running then you will be doing well.
  • Kashidom Nenakh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kashidom Nenakh
  • Loc: Belgium

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I find there are too much images added there...
That takes a while to load on a 56K you know just as much as I do, that there are still users with it...

If you can take the page a little more to the background, would be nice too...

For example, to compare the blue against the background, just make the background a little brighter...

Use 200 gray ( rgb(200,200,200) ) or so...

Further no comments, only the menus are a bit off... they don' t look attractive...
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does get a little crammed together at my resolution... Could compress the images a little more. I'd personally make a lot more use of CSS but, that's just me. Looks good enough though ;)
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

dude. Did you rip your header graphics from somewhere?
the graphic showing pple at work...

Coz i have seen it somewhere else....on another website.
correct me if i am wrong. :wink:
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

probably a stock photo madmonk, theres loads of ones like that at istockphoto and stock exchange. More than likely you've seen it before and it's almost certainly legit.

Anyway that sort of photo always looks the same anyway :wink:
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, where do I start.

1) I changed the bgcolor to a lighter/brighter shade of gray. Not sure it makes a big difference?

2)As for the top image of the business meeting, that is a picture of my business conference room!. HAHA j/k .... it was a free image I pulled off the internet. I simply chpped it up a bit and made the coloring match my site scheme.

3) The gold's gym site in my porfolio is 404ing because the hosting servers are all down. I will have to move the files to my server i guess. They're rarely ever down though, not sure what is going on - but deff. doesn't look good if it's 404ing. They're back up now if you want to check it out!

4) Working on the mozilla problem. The strange thing is when you refresh the page, everything sorts out fine and the page functions properly.

Kashidom Nenakh: The menus are off and don't look atrractive? Could you elaborate a little ore on this?
  • Kashidom Nenakh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kashidom Nenakh

Post 3+ Months Ago

The blue is a bit too cold, and a bit unpleasent to look at... maybe you can do something about it...?
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah prolly a stock photo, rtm.

looks like tha same photo though..
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not a bad site! It looks proffesional, however:

I dont really like your links. The drop boxes dont blend real well with the site, for some reason it seems overcrowded.

The gray background just doesnt seem to fit. I doesnt blend right or something its just......blah. LOL if you know what i mean.

Unless you have more websites posted in your portfolio. One website along with own doesnt say much for your work. If that is all you have done. Perhaps you should consider removing that sectin and replacing it with something like "Featured Project" and having the website there. now nobody knows that its the only one, and they still see a proffesional at work. Other wise it looks good. I rate 7/10
  • Solutions
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my opinion any company that makes web design should make the code valid for all browsers. The site does not validate which I think is not a good signal to send potenial customers.

Other than that I think the site looks good regarding colors and font.

/ Roscoe
http://www.solutions2buy.dk/seo.html
  • dizzy_boy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • dizzy_boy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was asked once if I served chips with my javascripts :lol:
The same goes for you. Put your scripts in a external file - the code will be much cleaner and it'll also make the page load faster. I second the 4 column remark. The page background (left and right area) is not working for me.
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPDATE!!

1) The mozilla browser problem is fixed. Page views fine in mozille now.

2) Aligned drop down menus

3) New page bgcolor

4) Changed font style and color scheme of drop down menus

5) Added link exchange section:
http://ewebdevelopment.net/webdesignlinkexchange.htm
  • jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Images are nice, and well tweaked, Is it based around a template yes? The services look impressive and its nice to see a site with a detailed about us section.
  • emitind.
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: england

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can't spell 'Portfolio' ;) put a 1px border around the tables too i'd say.
  • Kashidom Nenakh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kashidom Nenakh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Totally awesome... perfect...

No better words...

Good work...

I rate 10/10!
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

emitind. wrote:
you can't spell 'Portfolio' ;) put a 1px border around the tables too i'd say.

Goodness!! You're the first to pick up on that. ha. Fixing that immediately! Nice find :)
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good job; I like what you've done here. Great color scheme, easy on the eyes, easy to navigate. Loading time's good for me 'cause I have broadband lolol. Keep up the great work!
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Liquescence wrote:
Good job; I like what you've done here. Great color scheme, easy on the eyes, easy to navigate. Loading time's good for me 'cause I have broadband lolol. Keep up the great work!

• Kevbocat
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kevbocat
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really think the site looks well done and displays quite a lot of information for the regular surfer/entrepeneur looking for a web designer. The site makes your possible future clients want to keep on surfing to find out more on what you do and what your business is about.
  • Deziner
  • Born
  • Born
  • Deziner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why do franchise owners insist on having their own website when the actual franchise already has a professional one for all locations they are in? All it does is confuse consumers. Your portfolio with Gold's gym PA in it
don't make sense!

Example: http://www.goldsgym.com/gymsites/us/pa/bethlehem/

PS The actual address looks to be 2134 and not 2154 West Union Blvd.
  • softstor
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • softstor

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have a nice choice of colors and the site is very easy to navigate. The site is very clear in the services that you offer. An excellent design.

The only improvement that I can suggest is to remove some of the slower loading images.
  • rynoe
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Use some flash for pete's sake and if you can't or won't then find other work. I am sure you could have a fine career in either the fast food or maintanence industries..........
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

rynoe wrote:
Use some flash for pete's sake and if you can't or won't then find other work. I am sure you could have a fine career in either the fast food or maintanence industries..........

:shock:
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol @ bbott1982, never mind eh, back to Mickey-D's it is then lmao :D
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
lol @ bbott1982, never mind eh, back to Mickey-D's it is then lmao :D

:!:

hah, maybe back to mickey D's for lunch today.... lol.

I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw some flash into my site. I will probably do that soon.
  • mathjoy
  • mathjoy

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. please add some-kind of a flash movie , unique one.
2. i would consider instead of you to add more live colors then the silver popular one

In general - Good job

browsers - good on 6 types
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

bbott1982 wrote:
I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw some flash into my site. I will probably do that soon.

Remember that is only his opinion. It is your site and you should design how it feels right to you. If you look at his post history he has said several sharp comments in many different posts. If you are going to use flash, make sure it fits into your site well. Personally I think if you added some rollover effects that would be about all you need. But its your site, just dont think you have to change something because some says so.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definately agreed with sharkshark here - look at the previous posts.

Flash is a tool, a very powerful tool, but it is by no means a neccessity. The question you should be asking is "do I <b>need</b> flash? What real benefit will it bring to my site"

bear in mind your site is already bandwidth intensive.
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good points made. Thanks :D

I was checking out some of the top ranked web designs site and i'd say over half of them do not have fancy flash integrated in their site.

Not to compare myself to them, but I don't think it would look good integrated in my site at this point. When i do a redesign later down the line i will deffintely keep flash in mind though...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 36 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers