SITE REVIEW: Exhibition Site

• Khaosifix
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Khaosifix
  • Loc: New York City

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

Because I've obtained Photoshop and various other useful web development products I've put myself to the test and tried designing a site. Hope I recieve some constructive criticism on the design.

http://talitha.cvk.ca/Exhibition/index.html

Before any replies are made I'm going to critique my own site first and it would be nice if you guys think I should take my own critiques seriously or not.

First off, the banner, although well designed, looks a bit out of place.

The up-state of the buttons are too plain and simple. The body font size is too large and the particular font-type might make it difficult for anyone to read.

The 'f' in "Forums" looks lower-case, thus, making the capitalization inconsistent. Because of the particular font type used, capital 'f' looks like a lower-case.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• PurdueEngineering
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • PurdueEngineering
  • Loc: West Lafayette, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Random thought first... I used to like Xhibit, but after he did "pimp my ride" I cant stand the guy! Any jackass with a budget of $30,000 can make any car sweet!

Anyway, back to business: The menu links are pop-ups. Most people now have their popups blocked, so its very difficult to navigate with a site that uses popups. Not to mention the fact that the windows taskbar fills up very quickly with windows!

I like the concept of the roll over images, but when the mouse is over the button you want to click on, you cant read it. If you make the shatter lines go around the text and not over it, or at least keep the text visible enough to read, you'll be better off.

And if you need pre-calculus help, gimme a holler! You gotta love that unit circle! :D
  • Khaosifix
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Khaosifix

Post 3+ Months Ago

[quote="PurdueEngineering"]Random thought first... I used to like Xhibit, but after he did "pimp my ride" I cant stand the guy! Any jackass with a budget of $30,000 can make any car sweet!

Anyway, back to business: The menu links are pop-ups. Most people now have their popups blocked, so its very difficult to navigate with a site that uses popups. Not to mention the fact that the windows taskbar fills up very quickly with windows!

I like the concept of the roll over images, but when the mouse is over the button you want to click on, you cant read it. If you make the shatter lines go around the text and not over it, or at least keep the text visible enough to read, you'll be better off.

And if you need pre-calculus help, gimme a holler! You gotta love that unit circle! :D[/quote]

They're not pop-up windows. They just open up another instance of your web browser. From closer examination you'll notice that that only happens when you *leave* the site. I am not responsible for the content on the external sites so I want to give the impression that those sites *have nothing to do with* mine.

In order for you to roll-over a button and click on it you should already know what it says before you roll your mouse over it :) With that logic, I don't think it's important for down state of the button to be readible as long as the up-state is.

I'm not too happy with this site myself. I'm going to completely re-design it.
  • PurdueEngineering
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • PurdueEngineering
  • Loc: West Lafayette, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually agree with your logic that once your roll over the image, you already know what your going to be clicking on. But making the button readable on rollover is just a way to "dummy proof" your site.

And even though the links open up another instance of your browser, it is still treated as a pop-up in internet explorer with SP2 and is blocked.
  • vurdlak
  • Born
  • Born
  • vurdlak

Post 3+ Months Ago

my advice is you make thise letters smaller. this slight change will make your web look more professional and it no work at all. also buttons are little amatuer loose those beginner sqaure buttons. by the way site is alltogehter freat just my opinnino and advice
  • Khaosifix
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Khaosifix

Post 3+ Months Ago

[quote="vurdlak"]my advice is you make thise letters smaller. this slight change will make your web look more professional and it no work at all. also buttons are little amatuer loose those beginner sqaure buttons. by the way site is alltogehter [b]freat[/b] just my opinnino and advice[/quote]

Er...what was that?
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmmmm...

Good job for your first try. Some advice..

1) I have to agree with th other reviewers, don't have each page open up in a new instance. For a lot of people that get's irratating. Especially when they go to close a page and find every other page they have been to is still open. I don't think you need all that. Now your deviant page and the myspace one are ok I guess...I do that...but at least your blog page and forum could open up in the same window since they are still "Associated" with you.

2) You chose an interesting font for the site. Looks good for your links. But your page content should not use it. In order for you to use it you have to make everything an image. DUDE! Your blog is going to be a TRIP to maintain and keep updated when in order to update it you have to make a new image every day. Honest opinion? That's ridiculous. You can keep the background if you want, but make the content text rather than images. Fortunatly the images load quick so that's a plus in your corner.

just my thoughts and opinions. Welcome to webpage design and good luck with future work! :)
  • Voldemort
  • Born
  • Born
  • Voldemort

Post 3+ Months Ago

Argh, I had a hard time reading all that text in the spooky-looking font. Leave this font for the rest of the site, but you should really remove it from the long pieces of text...
  • traika
  • traika
  • Loc: Vietnam

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you think that the letter font in index page is not too so easy to read? You should simplize the font a little, ok?

//link removed. Don't spam in other ppl's threads please.
  • sports-facts
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sports-facts
  • Loc: Detroit

Post 3+ Months Ago

font is to big and is unreadable in my opinion. very annoying,
  • SAAS
  • Born
  • Born
  • SAAS
  • Loc: Southeast

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is good for your first try. one thing that I always struggle with is what I like as opposed to what other people like. I love the font, but this isn't something that is commonly accepted on the web. also, as mentioned the buttons need a little work. in usability, most of the time, people like to read arial and verdana fonts.

I used to think programming was tough, but being able to put the eye candy together for the audience is definitely the tough part.
  • susanyip
  • Born
  • Born
  • susanyip
  • Loc: Suzhou, China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site looks unique.
  • pspdownloads
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pspdownloads

Post 3+ Months Ago

i cant read that decorated text
and it is better if it is readable.
  • alax
  • alax

Post 3+ Months Ago

ble :?
  • wwwben
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wwwben

Post 3+ Months Ago

well its nice art work .. however you may befifit from using some text on the page rather than just images .. it may help your ranking on search engines
  • sandpetra
  • sandpetra
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not there now.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers