SITE REVIEW: expatsworld.sytes.net

• celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok I'll try to get you one tomorrow...... not in range of IE6 right now :D

edit (tomorrow :D ) - I'm so sorry, I just checked again and it does look the same in IE 6 as in mozilla.... I just assumed when I saw all those lines and the rollover effect on the three big boxes (community site map, etc) not reaching the bottom of the box I thought it's bound to be IE's fault... sorry, really - didn't mean to be snarky or anything. I just thought it wasn't supposed to look like that.

In truth I've got to say the site is awful busy. my eye doesn't know where to go first, there's so many lines and colors and rollovers everywhere I just get lost. also why doesn't the abovementioned rollover effect reach the bottom of those 3 large boxes? that definitely looks like an error. also at times the rollover image gets lost somehow (this again in IE, don't know how it looks in other browsers) and leaves just black. sometimes the black is in the background of all boxes, and sometimes the black appears instead of the rollover effect.

also when I highlight the first box (community site map) when the rollover is working - I wish it wasn't because I can't make out any of the pale green/ bluish letters against that strong hazy pink satiny rollover.

you really could afford to get rid of some of that clutter..........

additional edit: on the 'shoutbox' page (whatever that is) the light gray text on grass green background really made my head hurt. it's painful to try to make out the letters. oh and how do you get back to the homepage once you're inside? I couldn't find a 'home' link........
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• expat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • expat

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey, one person did make an interesting suggestion and i tested it ; check it out , she got it right !!! tell me whats it is ;)

And like all forums the navigation is in the breadcrumbs and the "colorful" menu at the top, you surely didnt miss that ;)

and yeah the rollover image isnt long enough but i thought i blends in with the gradient ;)
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

don't see no gradient - rollover image cuts and the rest of the background is black, from where I'm sittin'.

damned if I'm reading through all that again for an interesting suggestion though... whatever it is glad you liked it

edit: here's a screenshot - tell me that's just the way you like it and I surrender...
  • expat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • expat

Post 3+ Months Ago

whats your resolution??? 800x600?

i know what you getting at, but it s not my main priority the roll-over background. there s stuff in front to keep people occupied

I am more concerned with why the first box is way taller than the other 2
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

1024x768, on my work computer. I've got a 20-incher at home but that's not the point - presumably you want to check how the site looks in less than ideal circumstances...
  • expat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • expat

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know what you getting at, but it s not my main priority the roll-over background. there s stuff in front to keep people occupied

I am more concerned with why the first box is way taller than the other 2 boxes? why does it do that on a pretty wide screen u mentioned?

Or did you cancel the loading of the page
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

nope, it loaded all the way, and it looked like that. must admit i hadn't spotted that error from home. no idea what could have done it.

edit: I tried reloading it now and it looks alright, that box. maybe it was just something in my connection that didn't let it load right that one time.

I'd still advise you to get some design advice somewhere. I get that you really like it the way it is, but honest to god, most people won't. I say this with the best intentions in the world........
  • expat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • expat

Post 3+ Months Ago

well thanks for the screenie, rollover images were getting over 10k so i dint want to make them larger for height thats arbitrary

can u check again to see if IE loads all boxes at the same height?
  • expat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • expat

Post 3+ Months Ago

the menu rollovers have to be redone, I accept LOL

and the contrast of font colors to make it more legible

to me there is something not quite there; i don't know if i should narrow the whole thing

But you said it s too busy? it doesnt have the info of a CMS surely
  • expat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • expat

Post 3+ Months Ago

How s that one ?? does it look balanced to u now?

see if if u can tell me what i did? LOL
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey I see you found someone else to drive crazy with this site :) LMAO.

Hey I'm looking at your site in FF with a resolution of 1440x900 and there is a black box in the middle of the screen at the top next to the rainbow logo. Was that intentional?
Also because of your color choices, when I rollover the area that says "Community Sitemap", the text becomes hard to read. Also the links in this area become somewhat ambiguous. I don't think anyone would expect a button inside of a button. Nah mean?

And for some reason it's loading a lot slower now. Did you make some modifications in the background?

What if you didn't make all the sections fluid. Maybe just the two on the right?

Under the navigation that has "Gallery, Shoutbox, Team..." there is a small gap between the buttons and the rose colored area. Is this intentional? why not make the same height as buttons the left?

On one of the pages I landing on, there was grey text on a green background. Very difficult to read.

Have you considered making the logo a button back to the homepage?

Just a few things I noticed. Hope this helps.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL@zaiah :D I know what you mean.... but I just like to help. even the difficult ones :D

Quote:
see if if u can tell me what i did? LOL

you did something? no, I can't frankly. and I'm not really in the mood for playing 'spot the difference'.

but I did find something interesting - when my window is maximised, your boxes load fine. when it isn't (even if it's very close to full screen size), the first box is pushed down, like in my screenshot. that might be useful in trying to fix it.

about the box rollovers - a few things you could do with them. my first suggestion would be take off the bloody satin image which is complete overkill, make it a soft pleasant gradient to fit with the rest of your colors (meaning maybe a different shade of green, hopefully not purple-to-orange) or even a pink one if your heart is set on that color, take a 2px wide stick of it and tile it from left to right in the box, thus making it significantly lighter (hmm can you tile a rollover? I'm guessing yes). Even if you don't tile it making it a simple gradient will make it lighter - then optimize and stretch it down to the bottom of the bloody box. this all if you really desparately want to have a rollover over the whole box.

you can make a simpler one by making it just a frame around the image, or a highlight bar over the title of the box.
  • expat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • expat

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for suggestions, they are noted even if you dont think so ;)

remember the first link on the top left menu ALWAYS takes u back to the front, and the dropdown menus at the bottom gives ya full sitemap of the forums ;)

BTW, if you rollover and u cant see the words then rolling off might just do it ;)

EDIT: The logo doesnt have a link yet coz it will become another refreshing rotating set of logos ;)

There is reason to my madness ;)
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
remember the first link on the top left menu ALWAYS takes u back to the front

yeah that didn't work for some reason once, that's why I asked the question. worked afterwards though.

Quote:
BTW, if you rollover and u cant see the words then rolling off might just do it

yes it would, but that's not the point - you're tailoring your site to make things easy for your clients, the clients are not going to bend over backwards to accommodate your weird design decisions. you've got things a little bass-ackwards if you ask me :D

Quote:
thanks for suggestions, they are noted even if you dont think so

ha ha ha good to hear :D I just call 'em as I see 'em - you can use what I say or not... heck everybody's got the right to their own opinion... nobody died and made me Ultimate Design Guru.

oh and please stop putting a smiley at the end of every single sentence... the friendly sentences sound equally friendly with or without the smiley, and the snarky ones really don't seem any less snarky by having a smiley attached to them. It's like having an exclamation mark at the end of every single sentence - unnecessary. just an idea...
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL. Honestly I don't think he really wanted a review from this forum, cause he really hasn't taken any of the advice. I think he just wanted to get some traffic.
But I guess what she is trying to say and I said a few pages back, the site doesn't follow any of the common/current design practices. People go to sites with certain assumptions. That might be a bad idea but it's just the truth. If I turn on my faucet, I assume that water is going to flow out, not the oven to come on.
I think a lot of people here have tried to help you, but you are stuck on doing it your way. Which is fine...BUT some of the advice is very solid and these are proven techniques to draw and keep users on your site.
Well the best of luck once again!
  • expat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • expat

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i hope u are all happy, you have made me work very hard !!

go see !!
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow he changed the rollovers. one thing I'll say - they are actually an improvement. (I won't go into how grand an improvement exactly). but take a look at this..... weird, no? don't you look at it and think 'weird'??
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think a moderator needs to step in. Is there such a thing as Web Police? LOL.
  • expat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • expat

Post 3+ Months Ago

whine whine whine, maybe ya need some cheese with that whine!!

Ok i admit it the site is held together by duct tape ; go see ;)

Am supposed to be scripting not fiddling with minro details
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those minro details can make all the difference :)
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ha ha ha ha the duct tape is the first thing I like :D
brill. really.

one more thing i noticed - the top nav links look a lot better before the tab images (blue marble thing on left, purple horror on right) load. when it's just a nice flat gray bar with nice readable white text. I'd take off all the tab images.

listen, on a general note - i have to admit to feeling a sort of morbid fascination with this site and this thread. and it's been loads of fun playing hide and seek with you (and I do admire the boyish charm hiding behind all the annoying smartassedness) but I think I've done what I can here... our purpose really wasn't to get you to admit you suck - we merely wanted to bring the site back to earth I suppose. but something's telling me it's got as close as it's gonna get............

so I consider my task completed :D zaiah, do you concur?
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where have you been Celandine? LOL. You're my hero! Yeah I'm done commenting.
  • expat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • expat

Post 3+ Months Ago

people people you did it !!! you forced me to make it the best it can be ;)

1. you wanted bigger fonts. tick
2. blending rollovers. tick

of course you didnt tell me about the extraneous input boxes, unbalancing on the navigation, and u didnt tell me the color contrast.

u hated the colored menus so they are gone

My radio stays of course ;)
  • expat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • expat

Post 3+ Months Ago

well people, you have messed with me and i really have had a creative spurt

come see the site and tell me the speed, i have re update cfos so it still detecting connections

basically 3 "color" skins used on the site so they might be slow loading 40kb css each

NEVER MESS WITH THE DUDE'S RADIO ;)

PS. a check on IE would be nice as well ;)
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow - interesting site.

To be brutally honest, your site hurts my eyes. I agree with all the previous design pointers - I believe the colour scheme is odd, not fun - and it makes it hard to keep the page open.

I would change the rollover images to very similar to the original image - changing from green to slightly lighter green, for example. Because it's such a large area to change (1/3rd screen width), it's quite a shock to have it change to bright white (especially on a 30" monitor - 2650*1600 res)

The content seems good, everything seems to work - but I would prefer to use a less painful-to-look-at design. Sorry :)

If you're using firefox - you can check what the site would look like in IE using Add-on 1 or 2.

Speed seems alright - I don't understand your hosting & domain - is it http://smile4me.x24hr.com or http://impressionz.ath.cx/ ?
I think losing the radio might help the speed :)
  • thesquareone
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • thesquareone

Post 3+ Months Ago

got to say probably a good idea as far as forums go, but, the colours leave a whole lot to be desired and i wouldnt join, i cant even look at the screen, sorry but please see this feedback although critical as constructive to you, it will help you once you forgive me for me poo pooing your site colurs..

please change the colours and banner and then im sure more peeps would join
  • seularts
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

man it is very conffusing and very crowded..:) maybe you cadn just remove stuff from it to go faster:P
  • expat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • expat

Post 3+ Months Ago

you do know that you can minimise a lot of the stuff right?? the magic of JS

Thanks for pushing me along ;)

Any more advice ?? :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 58 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers