SITE REVIEW: eyeongames.com

• rip
  • rip

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all. Lots of excellent critiquers here on this site and so I thought I'd get your opinions on a site I recently launched dedicated to video games.

We've gone through alot of changes since February and are at the point where we think the design/layout of the site is "finished".

I'd appreciate any and all comments/suggestions on what needs to be done in order for the site to look "professional-looking".

Thanks!

Site URL: http://www.eyeongames.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• logoleptic
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks good -- a clean, appealing design.

I haven't looked closely at the code because I'm just too damned tired right now. I did run it through the W3C validator, however, and the results were mixed. The validator has a nasty habit of belching up an endless cascade of errors if it trips over an unencoded ampersand (&) in your page. You have a few of these, so the validator ends up giving over 300 errors.

If you can use your CMS to fix the problem, that would be best. If not, or if your CMS is causing the problem, try Shaun Inman's Amputator, a PHP script that fixes unencoded ampersands server-side before the page is sent out.

The other thing that's tripping up the W3C validator on your site is line breaks that are coded as <BR> instead of <br /> (note the lower case). With your declared DOCTYPE of XHTML 1.0 Transitional, that's a no-no. If you fix those two problems (bad line breaks and unencoded ampersands), you should be very nearly fixed.

The other problem I noticed with your site has to do with the Flash used in the masthead. I think it's kind of excessive for site navigation, but that's a mater of personal taste. You do, however, need to offer up a non-Flash alternative to people lacking the plug-in or using hand-held devices or screen readers.

Drew McLellan gives a good solution to this problem with his "Flash satay" embedding method. You can learn how that's done from this article at A List Apart.

Hope that helps,
Adam
  • PHP_Guru
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Clermont, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice Job With The Flash.
-Great Layout Colors.

If I Was Into Video Games I Could Say More.
-Trying Not To Make A Fool Of Myself.
  • rip
  • rip

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks! I will check out those links. The code definately needs cleaned up a bit to get it to validate. That's one of my projects ;)

And I'd have to agree that the flash header is a little on the big side.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The front page is loaded with stuff. I think you should have a News section and leave the front to announce site updates.

Put Random Images above the google ads. I think it would look a bit better linke that.

In the 'users online' thing you shoul dput a link to be able to get a user.

The menu at the top. I cant tell its a link to another section. If you have enabled something to get rid of the cursor, disable it.

How can I become affiliated?

Other then that, nice site. Im not into those games so I cant say anything about the reviews.
  • MyIP
  • Born
  • Born
  • MyIP

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is very nice and neat

I like the way it is organised

great job

its also very very readable!
  • cray-z
  • Born
  • Born
  • cray-z

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello guy's thanks for the comments. im the person who deisgned the look of the site. just a question the header. im currently working on includeing flash games. and a polling system. also quick links to the hot topics. and new news items. do you see this working well? that is why its the current size it is.

i understand that not all of the internet population has the abblity to see flash. but im thinkin its like 80% of people who do. and it tends to be that. that 80% are young to mid aged males . and for anyone to be intrested in visting are site has to be a gamer. im thinkin most of the .. will have flash players installed and will not have problems with that. another thing that mite cause a problem is screen size's . am i to bleave that its almost a 50 50 split between people viewing with 800 x 600 and people viewing with 1024 x 768?.

could i be wrong?
  • webshome
  • webshome

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi there,

Good color combition of web site

webshome
  • cubechris
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Gloucester, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site, all working very well, but what makes your site different from all the other gaming site's out there, you need a cacth or a hook, which offers something different from the 1000 gameszroxor.com sites out there? For example concentrating on Online only titles, or just having features, and just news?

Thats just my two cents and i realise that being unique can be hard within videogames journolism.
  • malprave
  • Student
  • Student
  • malprave

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks to be a very good page, everything seems to be working fine.

If you are interested in your search engine properties, read the following:

Firstly, your Google page rank is only 2. One way of improving that is by adding backlinks to your site on other good pages. You currently have zero backlinks (Command executed in http://search.yahoo.com - link:http://www.eyeongames.com/)

Just a thought
  • genpichong
  • genpichong

Post 3+ Months Ago

My feeling is the that top Eye on Game logo is too big. Therefore all the content is pushed down. User has to scroll down to view your content. It is not good user experience.
  • Fitness4Living
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Belfast, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like it, u put alot of work ino it
  • rip
  • rip

Post 3+ Months Ago

malprave wrote:
One way of improving that is by adding backlinks to your site on other good pages.

What are backlinks? I've heard this term before. Does it mean just create a link to my homepage on other pages under my main page or is it just link exchanges with completely different sites?

Thanks!
  • _4_
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: @ my crater

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the layout!!! I have viewed your site with Mozilla firefox and it is ok!!!So i have just checked IE and it looks great!!! In Netscape it is ok!!!

Finally, Your site is compatible with all web browsers on my computer!! i have three browsers: IE, Mozilla firefox and Netscape!! I do not like Opera since it has ads!!!

*4*
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think its excellent if a little too many pixel lines for my taste and the header takes up too much of the screen. Good use of Flash without damaging SEO.

Would you like to swap links with my brothers website http://www.whatconsole.co.uk ?
  • unbroken
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • unbroken

Post 3+ Months Ago

Real nice. I love the way the links move when you put your mouse over them. One thing i would change though, the top banner is too plain. Make it more flashy. Widen the banner or something.
  • Sharky
  • Student
  • Student
  • Sharky
  • Loc: US

Post 3+ Months Ago

it looks really good the header looks great! and its a very good layout. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers