SITE REVIEW: Fansite

• tchakra
  • tchakra

Post 3+ Months Ago

I made a fansite which i hope looks good.

The site is nearly finished, the only thing left is to populate the content.
I am using Typo 3 and i think a day's worth will be enough to get the site running.

Fury

saying anything that would/could put you off visiting this site will be greatly appreciated.

Please, wehther it is the size of the text or the font or even the colour just tell me.

Also it would be great if you told me what your first impression o the site was withing the first 5seconds[/url]
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

First 5 seconds: For a site with such little content on the homepage, it takes quite a bit of time to load (broadband). That could be the server, but it might be worth looking into your typo3 implementation and making sure everything is tweaked for efficiency.

I generally don't like very graphics-heavy sites. However, I also like to be immediately captivated, either by imagery or by content. I know that you have yet to populate the site, but there's nothing about the homepage that is compelling enough for me to return to it. If I want game info, I'd likely go to the developer's/publisher's web site. The logo at the top is not complemented well by the colours you've chosen for the header text and menus. There is something very.. I don't know.. very barebones about the site's aesthetic, very 1995.

Given that the game's not out yet (it's not, right?) and you've already got the domain up and running, I think that you have the potential here to create a really good fan site, something really compelling that could really attract the game's players. I've seen fan sites get official support from publishers, with exclusive media downloads and other goodies. I think The Fury Sanctuary has the potential to be that kind of site, but it's not quite there yet.

Keep at it, you'll get there. Good luck!

- Gita
  • farmer_Tom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • farmer_Tom
  • Loc: Oaklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Fury Sanctuary has a cool layout but I have no idea what its about! Use the homepage to tell me exactly what this is a fansite of and why you're a fan. More of your pages need to be filled in with content before you can really ask for a review because I think your site has something cool to offer but I can't read about. Check back when you've got more stuff posted.
  • tchakra
  • tchakra

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Gita. I am aware of the slow loading of the site. it is to do with the typo3 and i am working on the tunning of the php loading. For the moment i am more concerned about the "look and feel" of the site as that is the most crucial thing in my believe.

I agree that the site looks abit "barebone" because everything is too "straight and edgy" with no curves at all. I hoped that would make the site easily navigable. I guess i can work on more bits here and there.

As to the logo: I shamefully admit that i cant get any good screenshots that i can work on to make it good. I contented myself with anything i did with photoshop by rendering and twisting.

Farmer tom: Sure give me 2 hours i will complete the first page.
But if you are too impatient here is the official website of the game: http://unleashthefury.com/
  • Me2
  • Me2
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I first went to your website, I didnt' know what it was- I have no idea what MMORPG is- I had to click into the fury section to know what it was. If that could be included or explained on the home page I think that would be fantastic.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

For a reason I couldn't take the time to discover, I'm getting a horizontal scrollbar even when you've specified 100%....

While you've included the W3C's XHTML validation image, it fails validation (7 errors).

You've used code to resize that header image of yours, you should have just used a graphics program to do so, especially since that image is approx 224 KB file size.

I've resized the image to best match your needs (had to use 600x158 to prevent distortion), as wll as reduced the file size to a more appropriate level (32 KB).

http://www.paradigmwebdesigns.com/images/logo1b.jpg

If you wish, send me the original .psd to improve on the final image's output quality.

From a purely asthetic end, there is just too much dead space between the content text, and the heading font is too large.

And I'd get rid of the border around the header image, it looks out of place.

I like the basic appearance, but these issues need to be addressed IMHO.

C.C.
  • NuAngel
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Erie, PA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My only major recommendation is that the site now feels huge. I didn't see it before, but I mean - I just feel like the font is a little too big, or something along those lines. Like I said in another thread, I'm on my old laptop right now, with a res of only 1024x768, so it's probably just me - but it just feels large to me.

And as far as your top banner goes, it looks good - but I wouldn't even bother with the 'spray painted' looking letters, I would just use solids.

Also, with the banner image, I'd just go in and change the alt-text. I'm sure whatever program you're using made you give it some kind of generic name (I know for pages that don't matter, when I'm somehow forced to add alt text, I'll add "x" to everything, lol, so I'm just as guilty) - but I would recommend putting something meaningful in there (just the name of the site, even).

Nu
  • m93rd
  • Born
  • Born
  • m93rd

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree the font is slightly too big, and I thging that you can use a few images every now and then to break the text on the home page up, it is slightly overwhelming.
  • oxygen
  • oxygen

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you should align the section links to the left. I also don't like that on mouse over, the links get bold. Just a change of colour is enough.

I like that you used really large fonts for the headings. You should change the font for the news body. The font spacing is too big and I can't read it fast. The news headings really capture my attention but I lose it before I get to the end of the first row of orange text because I can't read it fast and I'm impatient. So make the distance between the letters and words smaller.
  • eoran
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • eoran
  • Loc: Mexico City

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it's too monochromatic to be an entertainment website, I think you could use more dark colours. I also find the font separation inadequate; besides, it makes the horizontal scrollbar grow and there is no need for that.

I agree with those who think you should explain a little more what the site is about. Other than that, it0s cool --I like the top logo!
  • petals_28
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • petals_28
  • Loc: Delhi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

From user prospective few points:
-------------------------------------------
1) The site is not very clean. fonts are not used properly. Few fonts (headings) are realy big.

2) User need to scrol the home page ... that's not good.

3) Few linking page lookes very different, as if i am into some other web-site like ur forum link.

Good Points:
---------------
1) Color combination is good
2) Idea is great

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers