SITE REVIEW: favorite site links?

• Anjel
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D ok, so I was FINALLY able to get this one going...
i don't know WHAT was happening before...although I'm STILL unable to load up my media file... maybe someone could tell me HOW... because I tried serveral different ones and even the 32 sec one did not work...
sooo heres the site...
and yes, techically this IS my first site..

http://www.geocities.com/valanjdra/website.html

• Indulge
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Indulge
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well...thank god there are not tough rules for private pages so...
I'll tell you what I think you could do better...
First off, the background! Bad thing. Did that on my first pages, too...seems to be part of the process of moving ahead. Go for a simple color or for a quiet background if you have to.

You use at least two different fonts on your site of which one is Times new Roman (which is ugly...sorry). Go for Verdana, Tahoma or at least Arial.

It also took me a few secs to realize I was supposed to scroll down to see the links. As you use Banners or pictures, the page tends to become very long. I would reccomend you put in a menu and order your links by category.

If you do that, you'll be one step further....i hope :-)
  • Anjel
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol thanks for the comments... i dont understand some of them but thanks just the same...
the only fonts that i chose where, arial, comic and i think its call tahoma?
i'll add something stating to click the pistures for the links...the reason the page is sooo large is because once ppl start to add their fav sites to the guestbook, im going to add them to the site its elf, and i didnt want to have to fiddle with the size again..
and what do you mean abt the background?
lol i thought that WAS the simplest they had...
do you know of a place i could get...wll..."dummy" instructions?
  • Indulge
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Indulge

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Anjel,
What I meant about the background: try it without background picture, just a nice, warm color.

I see you used the yahoo page builder...I don't know what that thing offers. But it doesn't offer good HTML.

I reccomend you look for some tutorials and start getting into HTML yourself. Just google for HTML tutorial and you'll find stuff to read until you are old and grey.

Sorry for the font-criticism. My fault. I didn't recognize Arial. But I'm a Verdana/Tahoma fan and so Arial looks ugly to me, too.

Here's one for starters:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Campus/1924/

Good luck!
  • Anjel
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have epilepsy...i have to be careful online... too much reading and what not, well if i dont pay attention, i can seize... and thats why i use the builders..
i can only be online for a small amount of time..today i pushed it pretty badly..
thats another reason i asked about an idiots guide to webpages...
its an actual book you know..lol

i'll try to fix the other stuff in the afternoon..

its 640am...and i havent slept... good night..or day lol :shock:
  • Indulge
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Indulge

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well...I'm sorry to hear that. So there are many Books on HTML. Why not try something like "HTML for Dummies"? It's really not that hard ....almost any book for beginners should do the job.
So good night!
It's 1p.m here...lotta work to do....
  • Nazrin
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: MY(Malaysia)

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Your site are not neatly arranged.
2. Fonts are not quite suiable
3. Too many banners/pictures.

That's my comment. Try to make your site simple! 8) That's my advice.
Better than mine.

Cheers! :shock:
  • George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Angel,

Congratulations on at least attempting your first site. As such, you deserve to be spared any harsh criticism.

I think Nazrin and Indulge noted the most obvious issues - make the background less rude, standardise your font (1-2 font styles max) and get some semblance of order to placement of both text and graphics.

Good luck, keep learning and keep improving. It's a long journey and never-ending.

Regards
George
  • daveM
  • daveM
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes.. well done on trying your 1st website.. however.. it didn't really do anything for me..

1. The background is terrible.. just choose a plain colour.. white is just fine..

2. The font's all need to be made the same.. i prefer verdana myself as it is easy to read and clear.

3. Get rid of that mouse follow - just looks bad

4. Add some ALT tags to the images. even just a 'click here to...' would be OK

5. if you want someone to find this site, you will at least need to add some html meta tags aswell

Keep going.. we all have to start somewhere.. :D
  • harlequeen
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Wales

Post 3+ Months Ago

A book I used when I was teaching myself HTML was HTML Goodies. Its written well and is good to teach from the basics up. I bought mine from amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

You will be able to try one or two things at a time then and avoid the problems being online can cause with epilepsy.

I think there is room for improvement on your site, but learning how to do it yourself will help with that I think

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers