SITE REVIEW: Ferndale Band and Colorguard

• butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.ferndaleband.org
This is the site I've learned most of my weserving skills on. Some sections I'm still working on, but all of those have a "more later" sort of message at the bottom. The part I'm most worried about is the media section. It's fine with cable, but is it too slow for dial up?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have a broken link on your colorguard navigation button. I would also suggest Arial or Verdana or some other common font than Times New Roman. Then try to find a board theme that matches the rest of your site for the forum. I'm curious...when I started college I started as a Music Ed major with a percussion minor. I used to play every percussion instrument you could possibly name. Interested to know if your band marches drum & bugle corp style. I try to catch the DCI competitions every year, but have missed them for the last two. My all-time favorites are the Santa Clara Vanguard, the Garfield Cadets, and the Madison Explorer Scouts -- although Phantom Regiment rocks, too!
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, we sort of do. Our band director is the brass leader of the Seattle Cascades, as you can read in the staff section. Several of our band members are in Cascades, and I'm thinking about trying out this year myself. Well, anyway, the colorguard link is really strange, because it works for me and not other people. It says it's broken in dreamweaver, but when I go to the site in my browser, it works for me. I tried clearing my cache and resetting my history, but it still works for me. The link is the same as every other menu button link, and all the buttons are in one folder. And about the forum, I'm trying to get a new theme, butfor some reason, I can't get them to work. The band site is based on the FHS colors.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm showing colorguard1.gif does not exist in your images/menu subdirectory. It won't display if you try to go directly there:

http://www.ferndaleband.org/images/menu/colorguard1.gif

If you think it is there double check spelling and case. But that's what's causing the problem. It's not finding the picture.
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

ah, but it works if I go there
I think I'll try re-creating the image and the button, mybe that will help
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, dreamweaver syas the file is there now. Does it work for you?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure does! You're in business. By the way, I checked out the bio on your director and laughed at myself. I forgot Garfield Cadets changed their name to the Cadets of Bergen County several years back. I've been a fan of Drum and Bugle corps since 1975. I go back quite a few years! *lol

That's pretty cool that he used to be an instructor for the Cadets. In fact, when I attended the 1991 DCI world championships the two things I bought for souveniers were a Santa Clara t-shirt and a Cadets baseball cap. I was co-captain of my drum line and vice-president of the band in high school. I know how much fun it can be. It's great to see you doing up the website for them, and it's looking good so far. As I mentioned earlier, I would try out a couple different fonts. Times New Roman is so overused, and to me just doesn't have a place on the internet -- print maybe, but not the web.

I can tell you're a horn player -- I missed seeing good shots of the drum line. Having started college as a music ed major with a percussion minor, I'm still to this day big into percussion.

If your host supports it, I think it'd be great to see you add some streaming media, if that's possible.

Good luck with it and keep up the good work.
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to check about the streaming video thing, but I could at least put up some full videos. My band director has a couple of hilarious videos from band camp, and I think we have the shows on tape. And about the font, it's set to geneva, I don't know why yours is showing times. I'll play with it a little, but it would be sooo much easier if I had acces to a pc. My dad has one, but I cant use it.
I'm trying to get a few more sections up, and even possibly one for the percussion. Drummers are a breed apart, as you probably know. And there's that pic of the baritone, and I'd like to have the pics change randomly, with one person from each section up there.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well that explains it. I have quite a few fonts, but I don't have Geneva, so that's why mine defaults to Times New Roman, which is the standard default font for IE on PC's. You are probably seeing Geneva because that is your default font. I think this is the case, because I don't see a font family specified anywhere in your source.

You could specify fonts by adding this (or something similar) within the head tags of your code:

Code: [ Select ]
<style type="text/css">
body {
   font-family: Geneva, Arial, Verdana, Helvetica;
  }
</style>
  1. <style type="text/css">
  2. body {
  3.    font-family: Geneva, Arial, Verdana, Helvetica;
  4.   }
  5. </style>

In that example, if the viewer has the Geneva font they will see it. If not it will display Arial. If they don't have either of those it goes to Verdana, then Helvetica. If they don't have any of those at all, then it defaults to the browser's default font which is typically going to be Times New Roman.
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, what confuses me is why you don't have geneva. I've always seen macs with geneva, is it just not standard on pc's? <p>And about my theme, I was wondering if anyone out there has a combination for blue and gold other than mine. That combo was the bst I could find, with the text contrasting the most. I'd like it if I had some other theme.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/default.asp

The above link, if you scroll down just a bit shows the core fonts that come installed on every MS operating system. Other fonts may be installed depending on what a user may be using for additional software, and fonts they have installed on their own.

If you always stick to those core fonts you can be guaranteed that every Windows user will see them. There are many more common true type fonts which most users have. I'm a little surprised I don't have Geneva because I have installed quite a few, but that one doesn't exist on my machine at the moment.
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi butlerboy99,

I have looked at your site and I like navigation menu on the left side of your page.

One minor problem that I found is that I think you may have a little to much writing on your homepage.

Other than that, everything looks alright!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see you figured out the font thing butlerboy99. I now get Arial. Looks much better to me now.
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, I had the default font on dreamweaver set to geneva, and the font set to default font. I got it all updated now.
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

improvements have been made, what does eevryone think?
  • RyTRiX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Michigan

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks nice.

Only thing i suggest is to make a new header.
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, I'm workin on that, but it's kinda hard without photoshop
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, I know I need to add some color and some images.... does anyone have any suggestions as to what and where?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the blue and the yellow colors, but i don,t think the grey background compliments them at all. Maybe a black background. looks good
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, I tried that, and most people agreed that grey worked better... I would really like to use a completely different color, but I'm sorta limited.
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, lets try that scheme....
and does anyone have any suggestins on how to make the layout look more proffessional?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow! Been a long time since I've looked at your site and I'll take a second from a mod's point of view to thank you for digging up the original thread instead of stating a new topic on it. Kudos.

I like the colors. It's been so long I can hardly remember what the original looked like, but I think the thing that jumps out at me is your navigation rollovers. To me, that's what looks amateurish. I think you've done some pretty nice changes with the content and the site in general. But your navigation just doesn't have the "flair" that a "color guard" would have *hint *hint

I don't have any specific suggestions on what to change it to, but if you start thinking in terms of General Effect, remember that the color guard adds a ton of GE to the performance. I think if you take that thought and roll with it, you can come up with a NAV rollover that is appropriate to your theme.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers