SITE REVIEW: Final Fantasy Shrine

• disgust
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • disgust

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.ffshrine.org

this is a gaming site, non-profit. :)

here's a bit of background: the site was basically handed over to me, I didn't do the layout. I don't know enough to make my own layout, so I just started filling content in with what I had.

so I'm basically looking for two things:

1) suggestions to fix the problems, mainly resolution problems... I really don't know how I could change it to make it more compatable... it was designed so that it only looks righ in 1024 full screen or higher :\

2) search engine optimization tips- really looking to get up there in the search results :)

but general comments are fine too!

I would REALLY REALLY appreciate adsense placement/color tips... I won't reveal things exactly (TOS) but, well, they say AdSense is supposed to really beat the "random banner ads" average which is about .5% CRP.. I'm getting less than half of that

by the way, since I started adding content, the site went from 2,000 uniques a week to 6,000 uniques a <i>day</i> :lol:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• disgust
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • disgust

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, people sure don't like this thread for some reason :(
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the layout of the site. It looks very space age. It also seems to have a lot of content which is always good.

It loaded pretty fast on broadband. I think that the links could do with jazzing up a bit, maybe by adding a hoover effect to them.

I would rate the site 8/10.

Well done

Tone
  • virtualand
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • virtualand

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

To solve the resolution problem you must edit the following line of code:
<td valign=top width=650>. You see, your table as a fixed value of 650. Try to put a smaller value or just delete that value.

The layout it's ok. It works well with the content.

Regards
  • disgust
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • disgust

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you for the comments.

sadly what you suggested doesn't really work- we tried it before, it makes things even more odd.

does anyone have any suggestions for helping with my adsense ctr?
  • theparasite
  • theparasite
  • Loc: Bellingham, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm actually an avid visitor of the site and I find no real problems with it... except one thing! I think you should either move the navigation in more or switch it entirely to the left... It seems like it was done proffesionally but disorganized...

also the drawing/art when i enter... isnt really FF based.. i dont understand it >.<
  • disgust
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • disgust

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, the navigation's kinda bad, especially for lower resolutions. it'd be kinda hard to switch it.. but we can look into it.

what do you mean about the drawing/art? under "artist junction" there's a ton of final fantasy artwork..
  • Hacker007
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the Navagation bar, usually you see them to the left, but it looks kinda cool on the right. And i like the way you got the google ads tyo look like they where inside that image. But there are a lot of images that kill us dial up modems x_x
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it, it looks like a typical gaming site but since you said u didnt build it u git the layout from elsewhere I understand. I would suggest sprucing the links on the right side, maybe make a button in PS (photoshop) or something cause i missed them on first glance or align them to the left. Other than that its a good site Good work!
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice! I'm biased though since I'm a FF freak! I didn't even know FFXII was in the works before visiting your site! AND I LIVE IN JAPAN! Sheesh! Looks like I'll be a regular visitor to your website.

Design-wise: 8/10
Code-wise: don't know. I was too interested in the FF info to really critique it. It takes a lot to distrace me in that way, so congrats.
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Butler, Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have put some serious thought on yoru layout of this site. The design and links all work really well. I am glad to see some really nice talent out there.

:P
  • puKKa
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

REALLY GOOD!
btw. I love FF :)
If you havnt seen FFA+ I think you should se it, its a flash move and it is so damn good :)

Final Fnatasy A+
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the site ,i have to scroll for ages to see the nav bar.....
  • disgust
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • disgust

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for all the replies.

dqualter: that's one of the things we're afraid of. what resolution are you on, and do you typically browse with a partial browser or a full screen?
  • JakSmit
  • JakSmit
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Real nice mate,
but again, I love FF!

Still waiting for FF11 here in England!
  • hyparzero
  • hyparzero

Post 3+ Months Ago

your site roks! i love FF!!!!
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Portugal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im another of those FF lovers out there, notice my nickname? ;P

Anyways, the site looks pretty awesome, tons of content and it seems more updated than most ff sites i see around, the logo is really sweet, plus, the menu is really cool, and i like what you did with the updates section, how you list them like that, pretty neat.

You seem to have a handfull of users too, so congrats on the great work, ill be coming back for sure! :)~
  • Sulfin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like Final Fantasy, but the link wouldn't work. Why did it work for everybody else? I tried typing it into the address bar, but that didn't work either
  • quietside
  • Loc: TAMPA, FLORIDA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I liked the graphics.. but the site lacked initial WOW.... Add some noise and more flash based imagery

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers