SITE REVIEW: First Designed and Paid Website

• nativejam
  • nativejam

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am 19, and I just currently designed my first website for my grandmother and with lots of reading of websites and tutorials i managed to learn how to do CSS. This website was also was my first paid website...........mind you there was a family discount, of course.

My grandma, and all my family members say that it is a good website and that it is great, but knowing how families and friends work, i just wanted to see what other people think about the website. Also i wanted to know people's opinion on the technical aspects of the site, like whether or not the CSS is correct, or if there is anything i should do that could improve the site

http://www.creativelanguageresources.com.au

(Yes, i am from Australia)
Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• nativejam
  • nativejam

Post 3+ Months Ago

any comments?
  • steveb
  • Born
  • Born
  • steveb
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My opinion:

• I think the color scheme works. Red and black goes well together.
• I like the simplicity and easy navigation of the site.
• I assume you know this, but none of the "order now" buttons work.
  • nativejam
  • nativejam

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah i should have mentioned that the order now buttons don't work, but those books that they don't work are having the pricing sorted out and should be up within a week or so
  • Tekko
  • Tekko
  • Loc: yes

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey nativejam,

I like the simple design. When I saw the japanese girl and Neko cat in the top corners, I saw the japanese flavor. But when i saw a picture of your grandmother, you lost me there. Are you seeling/introducing your grandmother or her books? I would put her picture under the side menu with "Contact Me" or something like that. I would put some pictures of her books and link them to more information directly from the home age.

Good luck.
  • XboxFan
  • XboxFan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I feel there is tooo much of red on the site… u can of course put in some light background color which goes well with red… and the cat and the Japanese girl is not giving a very professional look to your site… its just a suggestion… see if something can be done about this… :)
  • daytimetv
  • daytimetv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your choice of font is not good for the smaller text, many people have difficulty reading small text that is 'stylised'. I'd recommend changing to a standard web-friendly font like arial, verdana or trebuchet MS. Toning down the red would probably be a good idea also. Bold colours only work well when used sparingly, too much will begin to aggravate the viewer's eyes after a while
  • etrader
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

The domain name is too long,

The design is also very basic
  • splurge
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • splurge

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its a nice start, but like other people have said the design is somewhat basic

Simple yet elegant
  • HardDrive
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe break the colors up with designs or pictures, or maybe even some different shades or tints of red overall... nice site
  • rishimodi1
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Very fast loading site. I checked the site, Its very seo friendly. I think you need to create more back links for your site. Otherwise everything works about your site.

Regards
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,

Considering this is your first site I think it's excellent although how you could charge your own grandmother :roll: :lol:

From a techy perspective you may wish to look at correcting this error

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http: ... ces.com.au

Good luck.

Cheers, Prime ... :D
  • dojo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Timisoara, Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Overall it's OK. But I'd change the photo .. or clean it a bit. It's dark and pixelated and the lady's smile is more of an evil grin this way. Put some more resolution in the images and it would look better and lighter. I am not a fan of serif font either, I'd go with verdana asmain text font.
  • nativejam
  • nativejam

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have made some slight changes to the site, some things i haven't done yet but that is a work in progress.......for example i am trying to learn some more css so that the navigation, you should be able to click anywhere instead of directly on the text.

Tell me what you think please
http://www.creativelanguageresources.com.au/

nativejam
  • jfrasier
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I too think for your first site, it is a good start. I think though that the red everywhere is way to powerful, almost aggressive. A simple design works. The navigation is easy to follow, but I have to agree with the other poster, the grannie on the main page throws off the function of the site.

There is a great (and free) utility called colorschemer (http://www.colorschemer.com) that can really help picking out complementing colors.

JF
  • TheMacBlog
  • Born
  • Born
  • TheMacBlog

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its a nice website but you should really look for an other domain name
  • tbobker
  • tbobker

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks good but also unfinished. Think about maybe adding another colour the red and black work but as a base. Maybe give the navigational block curved edges, it may add some variety.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers