SITE REVIEW: My first programming site

• danyald
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • danyald

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's my first programming site
here i have many my own created projects in c++ and in openGL

Everyone who likes programming is welcomed to visit and check my programs and their source codes
Also i allow the users to upload their own project that they want to show to the world

http://www.dcomsoftwares.tk

Please review and tell me about my site
Also tell how can i improve this site to attract more visitors
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Gosan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Jupiter, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, just a couple quick things.

IMO there are too many different colors for the fonts. I know you're probably saying, but I want to distinguish between the different elements, but it has the opposite effect. At first glance it looks like a site where the designer just found out how to change the color of the text on his site. Also, if you made the four little thumbnail sized images, under the welcome, the same size (width and height) they would look more organized.
  • danyald
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • danyald

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gosan wrote:
OK, just a couple quick things.

IMO there are too many different colors for the fonts. I know you're probably saying, but I want to distinguish between the different elements, but it has the opposite effect. At first glance it looks like a site where the designer just found out how to change the color of the text on his site. Also, if you made the four little thumbnail sized images, under the welcome, the same size (width and height) they would look more organized.

Thanks for this advice. i will definitely change font color and thumbnail size
  • diosss21
  • diosss21

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes your site is good. but you have to change or renovate you web templates so every one can like it.
  • srilankaonline
  • srilankaonline

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the home page the orange text is difficult to read. Try changing to a darker color. The Tickbar at the bottom of the screen slows down the page loading time.
  • danyald
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • danyald

Post 3+ Months Ago

srilankaonline wrote:
In the home page the orange text is difficult to read. Try changing to a darker color. The Tickbar at the bottom of the screen slows down the page loading time.

thanks i will remove that bar
  • erdem07
  • Born
  • Born
  • erdem07

Post 3+ Months Ago

Better do some changes to the design of the site
  • waffles
  • Student
  • Student
  • waffles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Once I saw that orange text I would have left if I wasn't visiting to review the site.

Get rid of the bar at the top. If I want to make a website I'll go do it myself.

Finally, pick a text color. I'm assuming you're not 12. The different colors makes you look like it.
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi! :)

i liked your website because i did not find any negative points there (but i must admit that i am not a very good critique..). Your website is not only beautiful but also well-featured. I liked the blue bar below where there is a button to scroll right up :kingwithcrown: . I also liked "free software+source" feature. It will surely be a great help to novice developers. The downloadable programs are very good (i specially liked the world data app). On the whole i liked the interface.

It will be good i think if you provide a prominent bar or menu having links to other free-source and free-download sites (i mean just as a goodwill not proprietory ads, but that's for you guys to decide, not me).

regards!
  • danyald
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • danyald

Post 3+ Months Ago

a4asit wrote:
hi! :)

i liked your website because i did not find any negative points there (but i must admit that i am not a very good critique..). Your website is not only beautiful but also well-featured. I liked the blue bar below where there is a button to scroll right up :kingwithcrown: . I also liked "free software+source" feature. It will surely be a great help to novice developers. The downloadable programs are very good (i specially liked the world data app). On the whole i liked the interface.

It will be good i think if you provide a prominent bar or menu having links to other free-source and free-download sites (i mean just as a goodwill not proprietory ads, but that's for you guys to decide, not me).

regards!

Thanks very very much. i will add links to other programming sites. Once again thank you. Also i will like u to thank for giving good remarks for world facts program.
  • Satwant
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Bangalore

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like '.tk' in url. same pinch :)
  • salwillders
  • salwillders

Post 3+ Months Ago

Overall you had a very good site. I am with the rest of the reviewers on the text and background colors and design. I also think the add-ons on the right are a little much. If you change these things I think you will have a great site.
  • danyald
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • danyald

Post 3+ Months Ago

salwillders wrote:
Overall you had a very good site. I am with the rest of the reviewers on the text and background colors and design. I also think the add-ons on the right are a little much. If you change these things I think you will have a great site.

Thanks. i will remove some add-ons from right
  • rising_sun
  • rising_sun

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am very much interested on programming. I know C++ and a little c# wanna to learn openGL from your site.

However, you did a great job in your site and did you made any thing like that newbies can learn efficient programming from your site? I mean - How can your site help me on learning openGL as I have just come to know about this from your Thread.
  • danyald
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • danyald

Post 3+ Months Ago

rising_sun wrote:
I am very much interested on programming. I know C++ and a little c# wanna to learn openGL from your site.

However, you did a great job in your site and did you made any thing like that newbies can learn efficient programming from your site? I mean - How can your site help me on learning openGL as I have just come to know about this from your Thread.

I have build many OpenGL and C/C++ projects. You can download these programs with their source codes. By learning these codes you can easily develop your own softwares
However i need some recommendations and suggestions to do more for learners
Please help me for this
  • danyald
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • danyald

Post 3+ Months Ago

rising_sun wrote:

You can use important parts of my codes in your programs. Also you can just change my programs names and then you can show them to your friends with your name!! :-)
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi danyald!

let me suggest one more thing to you..

why don't you provide a "portal" like interface on your site from where users can upload free programs (and their sources 8) ) that they have developed. In this way your site (i think) will be more expandable in content. ofcourse you can sensor these programs and check them for any malicious code, virus, etc. and only then host them.

:hmm: I think there are many programmers out there (especially amateur) who create marvelous programs (and are ready to distribute them free) but do not have any simple way to host them on the web!
Quote:
have you seen the wikipedia feature where users can submit new topics and contents?

hope you like the idea..
ciao! :wink:
  • danyald
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • danyald

Post 3+ Months Ago

a4asit wrote:
hi danyald!

let me suggest one more thing to you..

why don't you provide a "portal" like interface on your site from where users can upload free programs (and their sources 8) ) that they have developed. In this way your site (i think) will be more expandable in content. ofcourse you can sensor these programs and check them for any malicious code, virus, etc. and only then host them.

:hmm: I think there are many programmers out there (especially amateur) who create marvelous programs (and are ready to distribute them free) but do not have any simple way to host them on the web!
Quote:
have you seen the wikipedia feature where users can submit new topics and contents?

hope you like the idea..
ciao! :wink:

Thanks for giving this great idea. But you know i am weak in english. So could you please write a effective message so that when users see it then they will feel my site is a great place for uploading their projects
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi again! :)

please first tell me what do you need a message line for..? i think providing a link or button would be fine. users can figure the rest out themselves (but that's what i think :motorcycle: ). but you must have some idea in your mind, i think, since you asked for a message :hmm: .

and also i must admit that my english isn't too good either! (I am from India). But i can suggest a line if you say so.. (hope you like it and hope the line is not "out-of-context")

A great portal for programmers who want to share their programs and sources WebWide. Let's share our knowledge!

* This is just an attempt. please don't use it without a good forethought. and please also try to find other such possible lines. you might find one better than this! :)

ciao for now!
  • danyald
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • danyald

Post 3+ Months Ago

a4asit wrote:
hi again! :)

please first tell me what do you need a message line for..? i think providing a link or button would be fine. users can figure the rest out themselves (but that's what i think :motorcycle: ). but you must have some idea in your mind, i think, since you asked for a message :hmm: .

and also i must admit that my english isn't too good either! (I am from India). But i can suggest a line if you say so.. (hope you like it and hope the line is not "out-of-context")

A great portal for programmers who want to share their programs and sources WebWide. Let's share our knowledge!

* This is just an attempt. please don't use it without a good forethought. and please also try to find other such possible lines. you might find one better than this! :)

ciao for now!

Thanks again!
I have modified you message and has made a upload page
Please check it here
http://dcom.ucoz.com/index/upload_your_projects/0-17

If you found it good then please tell me
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

:o wow, i was amazed at the speed you created that entire page!
and about your upload feature i'd say it's great. especially the categorization of softwares is very good for a user. average users like me can also understand and use the features very well. and its good that you provided a space for not only free but shareware and paid programs too. it has widened the site-perspective.

personally i felt browsing your site comfortable. only thing that disturbs me is that frequent "bot-register-checking" but i understand it's for security reasons and mandatory.

i've created some java projects like one program that can generate "executable" jar files for application classes. maybe i can upload that on your site. i also as a hobby create programs using Win32 API. Now, i can submit these on your site and if you pass them others will also be able to use them and learn how i created them. 8)

also i liked your line better than mine because it was shorter and more to the point.
(you have a wrong impression that your english is bad i think its pretty good!)

best of luck!
bye.
  • danyald
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • danyald

Post 3+ Months Ago

a4asit wrote:
:o wow, i was amazed at the speed you created that entire page!
and about your upload feature i'd say it's great. especially the categorization of softwares is very good for a user. average users like me can also understand and use the features very well. and its good that you provided a space for not only free but shareware and paid programs too. it has widened the site-perspective.

personally i felt browsing your site comfortable. only thing that disturbs me is that frequent "bot-register-checking" but i understand it's for security reasons and mandatory.

i've created some java projects like one program that can generate "executable" jar files for application classes. maybe i can upload that on your site. i also as a hobby create programs using Win32 API. Now, i can submit these on your site and if you pass them others will also be able to use them and learn how i created them. 8)

also i liked your line better than mine because it was shorter and more to the point.
(you have a wrong impression that your english is bad i think its pretty good!)

best of luck!
bye.

Thanks. I am very glad that u r going to upload your projects. Please upload your projects.
Also thanks again for appreciation
  • itrevino
  • itrevino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Front page:
The live help seems to sink below the panel. Honestly, at first I wasn't even sure of what it was - I thought maybe it was just some random page element that had somehow gotten lost.

"Guestbook" is a fairly antiquated thing to have on a website. You have a forum (which is essentially what a Guestbook is, but with less functionality). Why not create a new subsection inside of the forum for misc. comments and banter and rid yourself of the Guestbook altogether?

Sidebar seems to be overstepping its boundaries a tad bit into the "main" section.

Having two site searches seems redundant. (One in the bottom toolbar, one in the sidebar).

In the announcement for 3D shapes you have a request to "Please check it inside Downloads section" - Downloads section is bold, but not a link, forcing the user to ctrl+home to find the Downloads section link. However, in every other post announcing new software, you include a direct link to download said software.

I would suggest (for your images) a border and margin so that they aren't squished directly into the content when you float them off to the side. A small margin of 2px or so would probably suffice.

Survey takes you to a page with yet another link taking you to a survey page that has no survey. Suggestion: survey link in sidebar takes your directly to the survey in question, and of course, suggestion #2 being that there is a survey in existence in the first place.
  • danyald
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • danyald

Post 3+ Months Ago

itrevino wrote:
Front page:
The live help seems to sink below the panel. Honestly, at first I wasn't even sure of what it was - I thought maybe it was just some random page element that had somehow gotten lost.

"Guestbook" is a fairly antiquated thing to have on a website. You have a forum (which is essentially what a Guestbook is, but with less functionality). Why not create a new subsection inside of the forum for misc. comments and banter and rid yourself of the Guestbook altogether?

Sidebar seems to be overstepping its boundaries a tad bit into the "main" section.

Having two site searches seems redundant. (One in the bottom toolbar, one in the sidebar).

In the announcement for 3D shapes you have a request to "Please check it inside Downloads section" - Downloads section is bold, but not a link, forcing the user to ctrl+home to find the Downloads section link. However, in every other post announcing new software, you include a direct link to download said software.

I would suggest (for your images) a border and margin so that they aren't squished directly into the content when you float them off to the side. A small margin of 2px or so would probably suffice.

Survey takes you to a page with yet another link taking you to a survey page that has no survey. Suggestion: survey link in sidebar takes your directly to the survey in question, and of course, suggestion #2 being that there is a survey in existence in the first place.

You have given me the best advices about my site. Thanks for this. I will definitely make theses changes. Once again thanks. Please give me sometime to make these changes
  • khbasha
  • khbasha

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to revamp the design or do slight UI corrections for example you can see a gray color bg on the right hand side which is not proper the unorder list comes out the gray color, also for the content you have not defined any css for it which looks odd.

The main menu is not aligned properly, can remove the center alignment and align it either to left or right.

This page has 26 external Javascript scripts. Try combining them into one.
This page has 4 external stylesheets. Try combining them into one.
This page has 17 external background images. Try combining them with CSS sprites.

Decreasing the number of components on a page reduces the number of HTTP requests required to render the page, resulting in faster page loads. Some ways to reduce the number of components include: combine files, combine multiple scripts into one script, combine multiple CSS files into one style sheet, and use CSS Sprites and image maps.
  • Longclark
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Longclark

Post 47 days ago

Hi! danyald Just now I have a look at your website it is really good in terms of colour selection. In terms of concept there is some lacking I felt. The content in the home page is not enough it is very meagre I think so. It will be very nice if you add the content by explaining the concept of your website means then you will get a more perfect website.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers