SITE REVIEW: Fishing forum and classified ads

• ltjman22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ltjman22

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fairly new site. Just need some input please.

http://www.myfishsite.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's nothing original about your site. The website template that you use looks like you ripped design ideas from other sites and tried to stuff 'em into yours. Your default phpbb forum is plain and outdated (2.0.18 is the latest version). Generally speaking, your site is too bland and ineffective.
  • ltjman22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ltjman22

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like I have my work cut out for me then. Didn't know my website was a giant piece of dog doodoo. Any other comments on the site? thanks
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Loc: George Mason University

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site has no flow at all. I see different color schemes changing throught the site. The site has definate potential, but needs work. I would try to get a theme that matches throughout the entire site. That should be number one priority for you right now.
  • ltjman22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ltjman22

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the input. I will definently work on the color scheme. I noticed that too about the site. Now that I look at it more, it bothers me. thanks
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's okay to use a different colour scheme for each section of the site, but only if and when it makes sense to do that (for example, a gaming site that uses different colours for each console/platform section). When your entire site is so focused, I agree that you probably want something that holds everything together instead of visually segregating your content.

But y'know, it's not always easy coming up with a nice colour scheme, especially for those of us who've not taken courses in colour theory or just don't have "the eye." Fortunately, there are plenty of resources for the rest of us. I found one not too long ago, and I recommend it whenever it's appropriate. I hope you find it as helpful as I have:

http://www.easyrgb.com/harmonies.php
  • ltjman22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ltjman22

Post 3+ Months Ago

please check out the site again, I have changed some of the colors/scheme about the site. Hopefully this will do for now till I get home. I can't change anything else till I have access to my file. This is all I can change from a deployed location.
  • SearlNetwork
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Iowa City, IA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't get to see your site before you changed it but i think the color flows are good. The only thing that I think you should do is add more forums. You know what i mean. I see Fisherman's Talk and boating but what about camping or hunting to other outdoor things like that. I think people will post to the forum topic they are interested in. Over all i think it look good!
  • Brian Jester
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Brian Jester
  • Loc: Bayonne, New Jersey USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I disagree with most who posted a 'negative feedback' on this site, not just cause I like fishing :) but because everyone needs to start from some idea, and not everyone's first idea is the best, but let me tell you, it will work, just be patient, no matter how long it takes, if you have patience, you will succeed with your design, as well as your website in general.

Good Luck With Your Endeavor,
-Brian
  • designbuild
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • designbuild
  • Loc: River Falls, Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok for one you need to make it obvious to your vistiors that there is more than a forum and a bunch of adds. I would put more emphasis on your unique content such as the "fishing articles" Also the login area and account seemed to overwhelm me, like I had to register before I'd get anything out of the site. I would also look at the phpbb site a lot more. You should install one of the photo album mods so that users can can post fishing pictures and anything else, then the login name they use in the forum would be linked to the photos, this would work good for your forum. On my communtiy website I built a large community and then implement product sales and promotion around the community this forum mods worked out really well for me, that site is located here, http://www.trucurrent.com it is about kayaking but is similar to what your are trying to do. Also, install another template so your forum dose not look like every other new phpbb.

Overall a good idea and start, just get more community style things on the front and promote your original content.
  • ltjman22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ltjman22

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the good replies. I am currently working on the content so my visitors are not overwhelmed with the login and forums. I am slowly but shorly (sp) getting there. Please keep the comments coming. This is awesome feedback. thanks
  • Thunderstix
  • Thunderstix
  • Loc: Atlanta

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adding a Buy/Sell page/forum for used fishing equipment and boats would be helpful, overall site is a little bland. Adding color pictures would spice the site up!
Ran a little test hope this helps:

Title relevancy to page content is terrible.
The Title relevancy to page content is 0%.
Description: Found no description meta tag.
The description meta tag is used by most of the search engines. Consider to add a description meta tag.
Keywords: Found no keywords meta tag.
The keyword meta tag is still used by many search engines. Consider to add a keyword meta tag.
Robots: Found no robots meta tag.
This tag is not really required but helps spiders to index the web page.
Author: Found no author meta tag.
This tag is not really required but helps for your (company) name recognizing.
  • mawooshen
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mawooshen
  • Loc: Tokyo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well you've obviously been working hard on the site since you first posted it, cos it didn't look a like a pile of dog doodoo when I saw it! :D

The color scheme, layout and all that for me were great for what you want. Simple and easy on the eye.

My only problem is with the banner at the top. It kind of lets the site down. If you just put some work into making a really nice banner with a higher quality photo or maybe a flash banner I think it would completely change the feel of the site from slightly amateurish to something really nice and professional!

Another minor point, the pages seem to be unecessarily long. The columns on the side have a little too much in them and make you have to scroll down unecessarily.

Otherwise good stuff.

Happy fishin!
  • mawooshen
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mawooshen
  • Loc: Tokyo

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh yeah, just noticed the google ads in the center column don't seem to fit the box they're in! When i scroll down the page as soon as the mouse is over the google ads, the google ads start scrolling instead within their container! (in firefox)
  • fluffysammy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Isle of wight

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
Just looked at your fishing site and it looks very interesting so far, not sure about the title though, bit boring?
i look forward to seeing it when completed, i love fishinf and although i live on isle if wight UK i am interested in seeing what you get upto over there fishing and hear about it. well done on the site!

sammy xx
  • Sob
  • Born
  • Born
  • Sob

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you use PhpNuke? I think it is not good idea if you are going to build a realy popular site
  • ltjman22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ltjman22

Post 3+ Months Ago

I apoligize for bringing this thread back, buuuut. The site is now in Vbulletin. Please re-revue the site and comment please! Thanks
  • amtiger
  • amtiger

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like yoursite.About color schemes: sorry...your banner at the top i think you can put photo or need lighter..Good luck.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers