SITE REVIEW: Flaffle.com - A different kind of search engine

• moshdj2uk
  • moshdj2uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I currently have a few projects on-the-go, this being my latest.

Flaffle is a search engine, but ranked by incoming traffic. The way I looked at it when developing the website was that if a website is popular, it must contain relevant content to what it's users are looking for. So, instead of sorting results based on keywords, mutual links etc. like most engines do, I decided to sort the results by incoming traffic to Flaffle.com.

All websites wishing to be listed on Flaffle have to first create a link from their own website, to Flaffle. Our bot does not 'crawl' sites like most other bots do. Instead, the bot indexes each page that is sending traffic individually, making it easier to check from broken links. In theory, if a site sends a visitor to Flaffle via a page on their site, that page exists and is active. Effectively, the broken links sort themselves out. ;)

It's a crazy concept, but after the first 'push', I expect things to go well.

Flaffle.com | How to add your site
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice idea, could be effective, BUT...

How are you going to get people to link to you? What incentive is there? (Other than being listed on your site, which doesn't seem like much of an incentive yet.)
  • moshdj2uk
  • moshdj2uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's partly what I'm stuck on. I have plenty traffic coming to the site, although not via people linking in. As there's not much pages currently being indexed, webmasters tend not to link to it. That's why I think that after some links coming in, it'd be fine and the ball would be rolling. It's just getting the ball rolling that's troubling me.
  • mediatitan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mediatitan

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks good, but it sounds like your only problem is traffic. It might be hard to get people to link to you without being labeled as a major or even mediocre search engine.

For example, if you wanted to exchange links with one of our real estate clients, we would be very hesitant. The reason why is that our directories on the real estate sites contain only real estate related links. Our automotive clients - the same thing - only automotive links. This is probably only true with 50% or less of people trading links out there as they aren't aware of the benefits of relevant linking. And are also not aware of the possible negative impact of linking to un-related sites.

Basically, I think the search engine algorythms are written with a very fine line between link farms and directories. Its a bummer as it makes it difficult to build a search engine or directory unless it is specialized.

Good luck,

Tim
  • moshdj2uk
  • moshdj2uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the detailed reply, Tim. Much appreciated.

It's going to be tough to get the site going, but I think that once it does, it should have no problem. The traffic should start increasing at a reasonable speed.

I was thinking of marketing it in a different way. It could also be classed as a searchable 'toplist'. Perhaps if I use that approach, I may get further, quicker.
  • 02cordellj
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • 02cordellj

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the home page looks really good, and i like the logo.

I am afraid to say that i think the whole site feels a bit 'gimmicky'. Especially with the button saying 'Flaffle it'. I like the concept, and perhaps you should adapt and adwords/adsense scheme, like google, this will attract a lot more traffic your way if site owners think they can earn money/get cheap advertising with you site.

I think the image links are good, but i had to hover over the link and wait for the popup box to see the link. A combination of images/text would work better
  • iceman2000
  • Born
  • Born
  • iceman2000
  • Loc: Melbourne

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice looking site but you have to work on the business model.

I would have thought that you would have worked on the business model first before actually developing the site.

Good luck.
  • business opportunities
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • business opportunities
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice simple layout... reminds me alot of Google (looks almost identical). You should really figure out how to get people to link to your site soon, as I just did a search and got no results - doesn't make your site look useful at all. So, I would suggest figuring something out before you promote it or all your work will be for nothing.
  • walterkilis
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • walterkilis

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the design, however "dog" and "computer" yield no search results, something I find somewhat disturbing.
  • d_attitude
  • d_attitude

Post 3+ Months Ago

you have to have sites linked to your site before you put it up on the net. it look really bad when u have to see "no result" n yes, it does remind me of google ..... i think u need to figure out a different design, may be the background to be in black to be different?

black would always be eye catching ..... generally ..... it will bring users in, as it will be a different experience, it has always been white everywhere around, this will make difference as per my knowledge .....

ALL THE BEST

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers