SITE REVIEW: Flash Review TEST

• liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman
  • Loc: England, Hartlepool, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi all, First things first, i apologise if this is in the wrong area of the board but i think it does go here as it is a site review sort of :?

don't laugh at how basic my flash is in this page, this is my very first attempt at flash:P

i think for a first attempt it is good, and i got it to do what i wanted straight away :)

there was a problem with the links the code was wrong, but in college i did same thing as i did on there version of flash and it worked, so donno wah happened there..

anyways the site i am going to show u does look depressing and sad, it is meant to that was the point of this design

it has no content or scroll bars on so bare with it

it's just a speed test and a test to see if my flash buttons are ok considering there all raggy and out of place on certain ones

not including all of that what do you think of the test?

http://www.liltman.250a.com/MOW/Flash/MOW.html

any comments are appreciated bad or good :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Oshy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Oshy
  • Loc: Britain

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks quite good however all of the text is extremely difficult to read. This might put some people off.
Overall it's quite good but only two of the links work.
Also at the bottom it cuts off the bottom of link 7? Maybe it's just my browser (FireFox) But i'm not sure.
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oshy wrote:
It looks quite good however all of the text is extremely difficult to read. This might put some people off.
Overall it's quite good but only two of the links work.
Also at the bottom it cuts off the bottom of link 7? Maybe it's just my browser (FireFox) But i'm not sure.

nah don't worrie its not your browser, i forgot to mention only 2 of the links work and they both go to google, i didnt bother to do the rest as it's only a test so why bother 8)

and link 7 is chopped off, i no i hav to do that, but it will be done in the final version of it, and the writing is hard to read i suppose, i can read it fine, and there isn't much writing on yet, just links but the hover effects i am hoping will solve that problem of trying to read it :roll:

i did mention the layout was raggy and only a test above, thanx for the feedback tho, i just happy that i can do flash :D

i'm gonna try and get better n better too :)
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would definately make the text/buttons stand out more. Also, it might be a good idea to differentiate between the appearance of normal text and buttons/links (I found myself trying to click on areas which turned out to be plain ol' text).
I'm not entirely sure what the design is meant to be: what is the green stuff? Are the red things roses?
Other than that, keep up the good work!
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site doesnt show up in Mozilla Firefox.

poly
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK......Why are you posting this if you just keep telling us it is a test? A test to see if you really can post here? C'mon!

Why are you even using flash for it? That site is like 100% HTML. The button rollovers are all messed up anyways! Just slice it in photoshop & export it to html with ImageReady. If you don't have either of those, you can get a free 30-day trial from Adobe.com.

The words all scattered about on the left are way outta place. It looks as if your menu was bombed and this is the remnant links.
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Damn dude...your about me and news link on the left there..do something about them. I didn't even see them til after 2 mins looking at the design. Navigation must always be simple and easy to use.

The design...well i dont know if you wanted grunge by it's something like it and if it is it's not the best grunge style i've seen, not the worst tho. the layout iead is a fair one but why the whole thing in flash? anyways where those red things are lose them and holy smokes i just realise that there's writing there. Do u cater for ppl like me...i wear glasses.
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

yo all, first i said it was a test because its not the final product, thus the reason why the links scattered on the left appear to be normal text links, i havn't done them yet, as it's only a test to see if my flash works and looks ok, and loads fast!

also once it is final version, it will be easy to read and made properly, and all of it won't be flash, considering it's my first time i just wanted to see what a full flash layout would be like

and sorry to you who wears glasses but i do too, i have really bad eyesight but it doesn't stop me see'ing the links but thats probably because i know they are there and what the final version is going to look like.

sorry if everyone got the wrong idea but this was only a speed and flash test afteralll, oh yer as for grunge i that was the word, i don't entirely know what that means but the site is meant to look sorta depressing/sad/emotional and like a band blog

it has no real purpose, just a place for songs and stuff

thanx for all feedback
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
OK......Why are you posting this if you just keep telling us it is a test? A test to see if you really can post here? C'mon!

Why are you even using flash for it? That site is like 100% HTML. The button rollovers are all messed up anyways! Just slice it in photoshop & export it to html with ImageReady. If you don't have either of those, you can get a free 30-day trial from Adobe.com.

The words all scattered about on the left are way outta place. It looks as if your menu was bombed and this is the remnant links.

one reason i did it all in flash was to reduce speed, when i sliced them in photoshop i was gettin complaints that the site took too long to load and i thought i may aswell try flash layout and it loads 90% faster for all who have tested it. also the links are scattered all over on the left because that's how i wanted them, this kinda layout is not my normal style which is why it looks weird and unusual to you all, i understand they look bombarded but its part of the effect i wanted for this layout, you might not understand why but i just did..

also i know you can post in this forum!!! it is a test for the layout, for me so i know wether it has improved on speed or not!
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:

forgot to mention..

the buttons are messed up i know, i told you in the first post that it was all raggy and not done properly, i only wanted a feel for how it worked, the finaly version will be much better, thanx for stating it but like i said i already mentioned it
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

poly wrote:
The site doesnt show up in Mozilla Firefox.

poly

hmmm i'm not sure how to fix that :S

sorry i know nothing about Firefox
  • skyweb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • skyweb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Firefox is an alternative to IE, I had it for a while. The best thing you can do is test your site in (at least) the major browsers as I have not done this in the past and then realised that my site with fancy effects in IE looks horrible in Netscape.

Try installing different web browsers to test your site out and use w3.org to validate it if you decide to make the final version.

Also consider a HTML version for users that dont have flash, a similar effect can be used with image rollovers to replace your flash you have at the moment.

Good Luck Learning Flash hopefully you will master it and I wont need to start learning :lol: lol.
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

skyweb wrote:
Firefox is an alternative to IE, I had it for a while. The best thing you can do is test your site in (at least) the major browsers as I have not done this in the past and then realised that my site with fancy effects in IE looks horrible in Netscape.

Try installing different web browsers to test your site out and use w3.org to validate it if you decide to make the final version.

Also consider a HTML version for users that dont have flash, a similar effect can be used with image rollovers to replace your flash you have at the moment.

Good Luck Learning Flash hopefully you will master it and I wont need to start learning :lol: lol.

lol, yer i'm going to and i know you can do same effects without flash but i wanna learn flash so thought i would try it, i was always aware of the other browsers but never have got any, i shall have to find out where to get them from and as for firefox even if i have it, how do i get it to show my layout when i have never even used firefox before?

i suppose i'm going to have to learn it and as for a HTML version i might do that i don't know yet because it is only a site for songs really nothing important and the load times i couldnt be bothered with all the complaints but i think it should be fast enough when i get the final version done anyways, also it was reported that a few million have flash installed on their computers so most people will have it and if they don't the site should tell them to install it and re-direct them
  • skyweb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • skyweb

Post 3+ Months Ago

liltman wrote:
skyweb wrote:

lol, yer i'm going to and i know you can do same effects without flash but i wanna learn flash so thought i would try it, i was always aware of the other browsers but never have got any, i shall have to find out where to get them from and as for firefox even if i have it, how do i get it to show my layout when i have never even used firefox before?

i suppose i'm going to have to learn it and as for a HTML version i might do that i don't know yet because it is only a site for songs really nothing important and the load times i couldnt be bothered with all the complaints but i think it should be fast enough when i get the final version done anyways, also it was reported that a few million have flash installed on their computers so most people will have it and if they don't the site should tell them to install it and re-direct them

Im not sure of this but I think you can open your layout in firefox using File > Open like IE, Firefox is getting popular and Id personally use it instead of netscape but I like my IE lol.

As for flash I dont know what the latest figures are but I dont know anyone that doesnt have it installed unfortunatelly there will always be one that doesnt :roll: . Flash is a pretty small download so if the user doesnt have it, it shudnt take long even on dial-up.

What are you going to learn next in flash?
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

skyweb wrote:
liltman wrote:
skyweb wrote:

Im not sure of this but I think you can open your layout in firefox using File > Open like IE, Firefox is getting popular and Id personally use it instead of netscape but I like my IE lol.

As for flash I dont know what the latest figures are but I dont know anyone that doesnt have it installed unfortunatelly there will always be one that doesnt :roll: . Flash is a pretty small download so if the user doesnt have it, it shudnt take long even on dial-up.

What are you going to learn next in flash?

that is true, and on the macromedia site the other day it reported that over 2-3million had flash player installed on their system, which is pretty good :D

and i think what i am going to learn next is motion tweening to do some simple animations and also learn how to make pre-loaders, once i have got pretty good at the basics i am going to learn the advanced and then when i am confident i am going to try and make a pre loader for our companies website 8)

i is looking forward to making a pre-loader :D and i know my flash so far is realllllllly basic but i will get there, i am actually determined and confident for once!
  • skyweb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • skyweb

Post 3+ Months Ago

your basic flash is better than mine (none at all HAHA). I think Id like to learn PHP next and learn to create custom scripts!. If you want examples of brilliant flash there is a best flash site thread, my favourite is http://www.whoswestudios.com/ .I especially like the enter graphic :lol: .
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

skyweb wrote:
your basic flash is better than mine (none at all HAHA). I think Id like to learn PHP next and learn to create custom scripts!. If you want examples of brilliant flash there is a best flash site thread, my favourite is http://www.whoswestudios.com/wireball.html, I especially like the enter graphic :lol: .

first off your link didn't work man, and yer that's good, i like php but don't know much of that yet, all a learning process :lol:

it will be good if you learn php scripts and things though, then you can handle most of that side and i could maybe handle the design and flash side, obviously my layouts are not gonna be like this one, this is a one off and not my average work..

also if your learning different stuff to me then we could also pick up from each other so get learning PHP! :shock:
  • skyweb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • skyweb

Post 3+ Months Ago

The link in the original message will work now. I think php is excellent for contents and alot faster so if I learn PHP and you learn flash we can join them together to produce one hell of a site!. :D
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

skyweb wrote:
The link in the original message will work now. I think php is excellent for contents and alot faster so if I learn PHP and you learn flash we can join them together to produce one hell of a site!. :D

yer, we should be able to, a site with HTML, CSS, PHP, and Flash and maybe some JAVA is basically using everything you can nearly, and maybe even some VB.NET if that can be used for anything

the only thing i really know in PHP is the include function which can be good for arranging your site into content and design and even links as a separate page if that's what you wanted.

normally i make a template which includes the links and design all in one page and in it wud have the link the the external CSS and then there would be another page for the contents of my site, its basic but an effective way, then in the contents page i would put the "include funtion" in to link the template page to the contents page!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers