SITE REVIEW: flash site

• buzzbuzz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

this site is to promote my friends company, namely Midnight Promotions.

comments welcome with regards to the site and design

http://www.midnightpromotions.co.uk

thanks in advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• houndour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • houndour
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to admit that I'm a bit biased in that I'm not a fan of flash sites. But for what the site is promoting I think it gets away with it.

Coming from a programming background...I've no idea when it comes to design. But from an average customers point of view the design is good...I like the red and the colouring.

I can only say that flash sites in my opinion will still lose customers as I am one of those people that if I go to a flash site I'll normally leave straight away unless there's a HMTL version.

The music is cool, any way you can make the repeating smoother? There's kind of a jump in it.

I'm not sure about the pink forum.

Overall though, good site. Good luck with it.
  • buzzbuzz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the comment. i am like you in that i myself am mainly an html / css / php web designer. i only dabble in flash. bread n butter is not from flash. the pink forum is a sclose to red as i could get it without having to resort to alot of changes as its a template and i am not a fan of templates. i prefer html sites to flash unless there is a really good reason for it
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

can't see anything but the girl. that is a major distraction hehe.
I notice it is static sized. How does it turn out if you make it % based? Some of the text is hard for me to read at 1280x1024, but mostly thats just the font type.

Like the layout a lot. having the speaker on/off is a major plus that most flash sites dont use, nothing like being at work and having stuff blaring at you.
  • Frostbyt3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Corpus Christi, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oops, It has girls on it. Hope I don't get in trouble for this since I'm at school.

Anyways, I like the layout except for how it just looks like the site is there and on the end, it just cuts off. If I was making a flash site, I'd probably try to have a style sheet to have a repeating background that would seamlessly blend into the flash, but that's kind of hard to do since I suck at flash.

Also, I love how when you click a link and the boxes come up and apear to "bounce" back and forth. I love it.

7.5/10
  • hackrabbit
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hackrabbit
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, nice looking. takes a little to download. But nice color scheme. The content fits the audience, as does the "game-look" for younger crowd. It will fly with the age group it is supposed to reach!

I'd find a way to make it easier to read, bigger font or lighter background and darker font. My eyes are going bad however :) Nicew site. Good luck!
  • fuzu42

Post 3+ Months Ago

I must say, I generally don't like flash sites. They take too long to load and don't index well in search engines. Most visitors generally decide whether to view your site in about 10 seconds or so; if you don't show them information right away, you will probably lose business. Nevertheless, your site is fairly clean and slick.

I found a couple problems:
1) The red highlight repeats on larger screens (in the background behind your flash).
2) The transition is fancy, but slow between pages. This was frustrating, but fun to watch.
3) Your site starts with music. I did not find that particularly appealing and it took a while before I figured out how to turn it off. Have it start without music, but make it obvious that that you should turn the music on, and how to do so. Also, find a copy of a free music program, eg. Audacity, and blend the last and first few seconds so that it loops evenly.
4) Your copyright notice does not say who holds the copyright, and it should appear in some form on every page not just a link at the top.
The forum button should open the forum, not a splash page that takes forever to load.
5) I agree with Frostbyt3, you need some way to tie your flash in with your background. Maybe put it in a vertical column of the same background texture you've used in the Flash.
6) Make sure you have some way to export your information so that its readable for search engines, or you'll lose traffic. Also, maybe so that it's readable for those of us who don't like flash.

Alex
  • Elite Skills
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Elite Skills

Post 3+ Months Ago

Took a killer to load.

Sound was by surprise. It's late here and a heavy sounding bass part on my crappy laptop speakers sounds disgusting.

I don't care too much for the fonts. They looks smudgy. Too much red is a don't-do in webdesign.
  • TyWalch
  • Born
  • Born
  • TyWalch

Post 3+ Months Ago

when i first went to the site i was sorta confused.. the music made me jump to turn my speakers down and the site was very distracting. my eyes went everywhere. i got the info i would want out of it which is good but it was a little to flashy for my taste
  • heretic976
  • heretic976

Post 3+ Months Ago

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Nada there
  • buzzbuzz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

the site is there. try again. maybe something temporary with your isp or something. i have been there at different times today and have not experienced any down time
  • heretic976
  • heretic976

Post 3+ Months Ago

nothing still. have tried it from 2 differnt , both business networks. sorry mate still cant see it, no big deal
  • FlaFilly
  • FlaFilly
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Took a really long time to load. But I like the site. It's well laid out and informative. Easy to navigate and lots of fun !
  • chrysty
  • chrysty
  • Loc: West Cork, Ieland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site is really great and nicely designed .
The trouble for me with a really crappy rural dial up connetion is the time it took to load!.. I had to go off and walk around for a while!
Mind you its probably great with broadband.
Colours and texture were really great. Well done.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers