SITE REVIEW: flicksticks.com

  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 77
  • Loc: Owatonna, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well,

I've got my three posts in and now I can ask for your feedback on my fresh (online today), new site.

http://www.flicksticks.com

The site is strictly content oriented at this point. Basically, it is a way for me to merge some fun creativity with web design. I don't know what my hope is for it. It'd be nice if the advertising could generate enough revenue to make it worth my time. I'm not planning on putting any money into promotion. Just word-of-mouth.

Any feedback is helpful. Obviously design-wise, but feel free to comment on if you laughed or not as well. :)

To give you an idea, I'm a minimalist in my design goals. Simple, easy, uncluttered. Part of this would be my lack of graphic development skill. The focus of this site is certainly a jab at my artistic abilities.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to providing more feedback to other users in the future!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 588

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow cool! very simple yet entertaining! :D
  • bowling jeh
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • bowling jeh
  • Posts: 10

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's simple, however, the backgrd color makes the text kinda hard to read
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 77
  • Loc: Owatonna, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

bowling jeh wrote:
it's simple, however, the backgrd color makes the text kinda hard to read


Would you change the background color or could there be a way to modify the link color in the navigation to make things more readable?
  • supathrive
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 5
  • Loc: phoenix, az

Post 3+ Months Ago

i liked the content.. definitely made me laugh. dig the 'lost in la mancha' one- i just watched that movie last night.

i have to agree though, that it's hard to read the black text on the blue background. maybe try sticking to higher contrasting colors (lighter text/ darker background)
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 77
  • Loc: Owatonna, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

supathrive wrote:
i liked the content.. definitely made me laugh. dig the 'lost in la mancha' one- i just watched that movie last night.

i have to agree though, that it's hard to read the black text on the blue background. maybe try sticking to higher contrasting colors (lighter text/ darker background)


I think I'm a little confused. Are you guys bothered by the black header and advertising text on the blue? Or the gray link text on the blue? Or both?

Thanks for the feedback!
  • wozza
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • wozza
  • Posts: 7
  • Loc: Rare-Extreme

Post 3+ Months Ago

simple design but good content!

possibly consider adding news headlines to the main page to make it appear more active?
  • howyoudoit.com
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • howyoudoit.com
  • Posts: 14
  • Loc: Tacoma, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I gotta say, it took me a little while to figure out what your site was all about. Google is throwing ads up on your site, so you obviously have tons more hits than I have been able to muster, but I might suggest working with font sizes on your top line of text. The "Where movies.." line should stand out so the movie lovers know they have found a cool place to hang out.


Good luck.
  • Tudor.b
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Tudor.b
  • Posts: 20

Post 3+ Months Ago

I couldn`t figure out what this site is really about...

It looks pretty good for a content-oriented site
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1190
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks like a pretty good site. The content is well laid out. I have'nt seen any of the videos/movies, so I dont know whats sopposed to be funny and whay isnt. =/ The one thing that I didnt like, was the popups :D Good work tho.
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 77
  • Loc: Owatonna, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rat wrote:
It looks like a pretty good site. The content is well laid out. I have'nt seen any of the videos/movies, so I dont know whats sopposed to be funny and whay isnt. =/ The one thing that I didnt like, was the popups :D Good work tho.


I'm sorry, by pop-ups do you mean ads? I guess I don't think them to be all that intrusive, but I could be wrong! I don't think there should be any pop-up windows happening, though.

As for not seeing the movies, you need to go rent 'em! Well, some of them, anyway. Or perhaps buy them from Amazon via my link. ;) j/k Anyway, I'm aware that the movies on this site will tend away from canned plots since those would be boring to draw up.

wozza wrote:
simple design but good content!

possibly consider adding news headlines to the main page to make it appear more active?


Thanks for the idea. I'll try to think of something to add this week. I'll post when finished.

howyoudoit.com wrote:
I gotta say, it took me a little while to figure out what your site was all about. Google is throwing ads up on your site, so you obviously have tons more hits than I have been able to muster, but I might suggest working with font sizes on your top line of text. The "Where movies.." line should stand out so the movie lovers know they have found a cool place to hang out.


So are you saying that improving the header would be sufficient for you? Or would you need intro text on every page? Or would you suggest a new header in combination with more explicit description on the intro page?

Of course, with a site like this you are walking the line between making things too obvious and making them functionally alluring. :)
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1190
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, iam getting popup's. a lotta of em ...
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 588

Post 3+ Months Ago

what! popups! what the heck are you doing? get avant browser or something similar and take care of those bad evil popups!
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 77
  • Loc: Owatonna, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rat wrote:
yeah, iam getting popup's. a lotta of em ...



Hmmm.... I'm thinking you may have a bug/virus or something. Please, if anyone else is getting pop-ups let me know! I'm paying for hosting so there is no reason I should be generating pop-ups. I don't get any with FireFox or IE at home nor IE at work.
  • supathrive
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 5
  • Loc: phoenix, az

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I think I'm a little confused. Are you guys bothered by the black header and advertising text on the blue? Or the gray link text on the blue? Or both?


I can't really tell the difference between the gray and the black.. they're both a little hard to read, though. Mostly the movie title links on the left.

Quote:
Please, if anyone else is getting pop-ups let me know!


I haven't gotten any popups at all.
  • isthistakenyet?
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 48
  • Loc: Burnley U.K.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe some rollovers on the links to the left, nothing drastic just maybe an underline or something, this way it is easier for the visitor to see which movie they aare about to click on.
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 77
  • Loc: Owatonna, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.flicksticks.com

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

First, my biggest problem is I really do like the color scheme on the site. I played with a lot of different colors and just couldn't find a single one I preferred. So I did the following:

    Increased the font size on the header and added some more padding for separation from the content area.
    Lightened the font color for the left-hand links
    Added a hover underline decoration for the links


Additionally, I changed the sub-heading on the index page to introduce the movie aspect more clearly: "When it comes to movies...Stick to the details". I also changed the intro paragraph subtley, though I wasn't inspired enough to give it a full overhaul. Let me know if you have a little bit clearer idea of what this site presents than before. Again, as a humor site I'm not planning on setting things up TOO much, because I feel it takes away from the humor a bit.

It would be interesting to add voting buttons and comments to each Flick, I think. My voting button choices would be based on reactions (nothing, smirk, wide smile, chuckle, laugh-out-loud, rotflmao). Then I wonder if I need to get into the whole cookie thing to stop multiple votes. Not to mention I have no clue how to add commenting and/or voting to the pages).

Also, I will continue to look in to the headline/what's new idea that wozza presented.

I'd like to throw a content idea off of Ozzu, here. Would you find this more interesting if the "actors" (i.e. The Sticks / Flickstick Troubadours) were characterized? So for instance The Female actor could be given a name (like The Female), a bio, and maybe stats and ongoing news? Perhaps there could be a credit reel at the end of each Flick. Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks!!!
  • MihaiP
  • Born
  • Born
  • MihaiP
  • Posts: 3
  • Loc: Bucuresti

Post 3+ Months Ago

:) :) :) cool site !!
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 77
  • Loc: Owatonna, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

MihaiP wrote:
:) :) :) cool site !!


Thank you! Must of hit on someone who has actually seen the movies.
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 77
  • Loc: Owatonna, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

bjhess wrote:
It would be interesting to add voting buttons and comments to each Flick, I think. My voting button choices would be based on reactions (nothing, smirk, wide smile, chuckle, laugh-out-loud, rotflmao). Then I wonder if I need to get into the whole cookie thing to stop multiple votes. Not to mention I have no clue how to add commenting and/or voting to the pages).


I have added comments via a blogger external hoster. I think it will do for now. I'm not sure how I could go about getting voting buttons on there as I don't have time to learn to script it right now.
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1190
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adding the comment link, was a good addition.
  • frans26
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 34
  • Loc: Close to Lao

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like your site !!!!
nice and plain; content is king
Nice surfing your site !!!
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 77
  • Loc: Owatonna, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rat wrote:
Adding the comment link, was a good addition.


Rat, did you ever figure out your pop up problem?
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1190
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, firewall was disabled ^.^
  • phatgalaxy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • phatgalaxy
  • Posts: 32

Post 3+ Months Ago

lookin good. very entertaining.. got your ads. could have potential
  • phatgalaxy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • phatgalaxy
  • Posts: 32

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have actually seen a site identical to this before. It was based aroud sports tho.. I thought his was cool aswell as yours. Maybe add a few more. Perhaps a discussion where people could comment your workings. If youd like id like to exchange links with you... Good luck!
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 77
  • Loc: Owatonna, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

phatgalaxy wrote:
I have actually seen a site identical to this before. It was based aroud sports tho.. I thought his was cool aswell as yours. Maybe add a few more. Perhaps a discussion where people could comment your workings. If youd like id like to exchange links with you... Good luck!


I will continue adding Flicks as time permits. I have about 10 ideas waiting to be drawn up.

There is a comment section on each Flick. I don't think I'm gonna go so far as to start a forum or anything.

As for a link exchange, PM me if you want to discuss.
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 77
  • Loc: Owatonna, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've added a contact form and animated gif hoping to get people to request sign-up for a mailing list to be notified of new Flicks.

Additionally, I decide to put up some actor bios to give the site a little more presence.

Let me know if you have any positive (or negative) comments on the effect of these new features.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.