SITE REVIEW: Floridafishandhunt.com

• floridafishandhunt.com
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.floridafishandhunt.com

Hello everyone!
I wanted to get some opinions on this site.
I started messing around with html about a year ago. I have never tried(until now) to put a site together. I just made little pages if I wanted to sell something. I started to get a little better with photoshop and decided to put up this site. My html skills are really weak, it took me like two weeks to get the main page right and I am finally ok with it.
my goal was to get this site to a point where I could add fishing reports as I got them and add articles as they are written without having to reinvent the wheel every time the content grew. my goal is to get alot of users and then some advertising and then maybe pay someone to manage the html. because I suck at it. .
anyway let me knowwhat you think. Thanks in advance
-DOug
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• gba_m
  • Student
  • Student
  • gba_m

Post 3+ Months Ago

Major problem :x - the advertisement that uses java applet on the top right corner. The site looks slow at the beginning because of this and it might make first time visitors to click the "back button" on their browsers.
It's OK to use java applets only if they're not advertisments.
The layout is good but I suggest that you switch the links and the articles menu. Put the articles menu on the left and the fishing-and-hunting links on the right because that's usually what most websites do.
It's a good start as your first attempt as a webmaster. :wink:
  • floridafishandhunt.com
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

The java top right corner is updated weather. It does have an advertisement only when hovered over . Or at the end of the loop. The rest of the time it displays local weather. If others are experienciing slow loading let me know I will get rid of it. I do like having the weather on the site though. As far as the articles and links switching I have always remembered the links being on the left but I am going to look around because now you are making me second guess what I did.
Thanks man,
Doug
  • Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Québec

Post 3+ Months Ago

That logo of you guys pictured back to back is very cool.
The colors are a bit lame for the theme you touch, other than that its nice! :thumbsup:
  • floridafishandhunt.com
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks,
The color has been bothering me abit too.It s a little wussy. I just grumble when I think of changing it even thought it would only take ac ouple of hours.
And the logo is me. in both cases. I had my wife take pictures of me with my shotgun and my fishing rod. I did it like that because the business cards read really well with a flat silhouette image like that.
Thanks.
Doug
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The home page takes about 4 seconds to parse and display on cable broadband. The Java applet takes about an additional 15-20 seconds to load and display. This is partly due to the fact that I use J2RE for the Java Runtime Environment on IE, instead of IE's built in Virtual Machine. So it has to load the J2Re before displaying the applet. A little annoying, but I'm used to it. Personally, I've never been a big fan of Java on a web page. I wouldn't care if it stayed or you lost it. Living in Pittsburgh, I would completely ignore it anyway. It has no value to me.

Overall, as I've already stated in the other post, I like your site. Don't cut yourself short on your HTML skills. I thought you did a great job with it.

The only other suggestion is to correct the missing punctation in the bottom left corner under News:
Quote:
For more info click the banners if you want to see an event here email us doug@floridafishandhunt.com
  • advanceflash
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • advanceflash

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lose the java, it crashed my computer :(
From what i saw of the site it looked pretty good, nice use of space and colors but the background looked a bit dull.
  • floridafishandhunt.com
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I ditched the java cant afford to have it crashing machines.
Thanks,
Doug
  • Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Québec

Post 3+ Months Ago

@ advanceflash
Are you using IE? Because IE as some trouble with Java (sometimes). :(

@ floridafishandhunt
Man! i realy like it that Weather thing!!! to bad some as trouble with it!!!
  • LisaMane
  • LisaMane

Post 3+ Months Ago

Love the image at the top

You should change the single forum banner image on the top, Put some text descriptions there W/Images.

Some links are _blank, others are _self. It kind of disorienting. Like a mish mash of links with no order. Re think what pops out and what doesn’t.

Over all- great job!
  • floridafishandhunt.com
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which links are you talking about that are confusing? I went to the site and was trying to figure it out.
Thanks,
Doug

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers