SITE REVIEW: Flying Safaris

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is the first one I've submitted here since ... uhmm ... well a long time now ... A few notes first ...
    - All the content for the homepage has not yet been received
    - The links page is going to be removed, so don't even worry about it
    - the "Valid XHTML" and "Valid CSS" links will be activated once the site has been moved to the right location (it's on a subdomain now)
    - The images on the "Gallery" page are all the same, because I'm still waiting for the right ones ...

the Site: Kwa Madwala Microlight Safaris
the CSS: CSS
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've already conveyed my thoughts on this site, but I may as well post them here so other people can agree with me (or disagree, whichever you please).

It's a nice simple layout and i like-ee muchfulness. The only things I would change is the colours in that piccie up the top. If you must keep that pic i would suggest changing the sky to a nice cool blue, and add some more green to the trees.

Also, it might look a bit small in higher resolutions.
  • bringmepie
  • bringmepie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like your layout design. It's very user friendly and not hard on the eyes.

One or two different photos in the Gallery wouldn't hurt but I've got the feeling you knew that already.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

bringmepie wrote:
One or two different photos in the Gallery wouldn't hurt but I've got the feeling you knew that already.

I wrote:
- The images on the "Gallery" page are all the same, because I'm still waiting for the right ones ...

Hehehe yeah, I did ...
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay really ... Is the site that bad ... doesn't anyone else have anything to say ... ?
  • freedom2choose
  • Born
  • Born
  • freedom2choose

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just looked at this site I thought it was a nice simple site, easy to follow, not overscripted could be improved by using //link removed
I think Talking Websites and Emails make them much more personal and can increase the time people spend on your site especially if like me and not a great script writer also likely to increase sales when using Talking Emails in response to enquiries.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the transparent menu bar adds a nice touch to your design. I like simple layouts a lot, and yours is very easy to follow.

The only thing I can think of to mention is on your Licence and Costs page, underneath "Costs". There is no padding between the text and the left edge of the table, and at first glance it kind of bugged me. Not a real big deal, but something to consider.

Overall, I like it.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh okay I see what you mean ... I'll probably only fix it on monday seeing that my internet at home needs to be fixed first ... damn ... thank you ...
  • Jorgen
  • Born
  • Born
  • Jorgen

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the use of space in the layout, but there are a few things I would change.

The banner image is a nice picture, but should be higher resolution if possible, and could use some colour adjustments. Make the sky a nice blue, make the landscape richer and possible greener, make that flying whatever-it-is stand out more (brighten it maybe) and possibly make some colour/contrast adjustments to the rocks.

I'm not so sure about the gray-on-gray content area, but I'm not sure what colours I would change it to either...

Overall, not a bad site. The layout space is nice - nothing amazing, but practical and well executed; it's only the colours that I think need a little work.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool thank you ... I have thought about those colours aswell, I haven't tried them all yet though ... I also heard from breeze about the image's colours, so I'll edit that a bit ...
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The header is great but the rest of the page with the gray and white takes away from the header, like Breeze said I would definitely change the colors to something more vibrant. For instance I would change the bgcolor to a washed-out blue or something. and the body color should probably be a dark gray to match the semi-opaque menu and still add division between elements.

And possibly add a 1px border to the "container" and "header" divs.

But that header is really good. Good luck. :D
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay...I worked on the site a bit...I really like the idea. But heres an image to help with the visualization of what I was talking about.
Tell me what you think.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah yeah yeah ... nice one ... I like the border inside the content ... and the fact that the image keeps the content area a fixed length ... but what about the pages like the "license and costs" page that is very long ... wait I got it ... I can split that up into two pages ... then it'll work ... cool stuff ... thanks for all your trouble ...
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or possibly on that page you might use a simple 10px by 10px bg-image in the body div and avoid long load times...here check this out....obviously the text within is cut short but it portrays the idea hopefully. On the first page aswell you might want to add a image preloader and progressbar for that image....if you choose that route. And the text size is larger than it should be, but that was so people could get the point. Good luck.

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you think about this:
New
Old

I think it looks a bit better ...
  • boost
  • boost

Post 3+ Months Ago

took a while to load but its looking good

perhaps stretch it out a bit though for larger screens? quite a lot of 'white space'
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it just took a while because of the server it's on now ... It's on a subdomain of my work's site and the site is usually very busy ... because the whole website is 154kb (with images) ... On the previous page I gave a link to a new layout ... did you have a look at that one aswell?
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank looks alot better! But I would still add some bgcolor to keep it from looking too plain. Also you might want to create margins for the body text to keep it from going to the edge of the div. And you might want to make the div longer, because as it is I think it is too short that can simply be fixed with a couple <p> &nbsp; </p>.

And on the other pages, where you have the pitch black "boxes" of text, you might want to change the color slightly, maybe to the color of gray used in the stripe on the background image, just to add definition from the background.

I'm rather glad you chose this route instead of the background image, because I think it might be a bit much to download.

Good luck.
  • kakarotmf
  • kakarotmf
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

At first I didn't like the centered text, but it grew on me.

Who is the target audience? Will they know what the exchange rate is? Maybe put a link under Costs?

Under Accomodations, it says, "Wives or families are welcome", implying that women can't be pilots. May want to change that to "Spouses".

Feel free to ignore this point, but you're saying "Copyright Copyright 2007" in your footer... Yeah, I annoy my wife when I correct her when she says "PIN Number" (Personal Identification Number Number).

It's be awesome if you had some more banner pics in series. Then each page has a unique banner pic that would simulate the plane "flying" from left to right.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

murcielagossi wrote:
And on the other pages, where you have the pitch black "boxes" of text, you might want to change the color slightly, maybe to the color of gray used in the stripe on the background image, just to add definition from the background.

I'll try that and see what it looks like ... It sounds like it'll work ...

kakarotmf wrote:
Who is the target audience? Will they know what the exchange rate is? Maybe put a link under Costs?

That's an excellent idea ... Nice one ... I'll put a link there to a foreign exchange site, and see if I can pass along some variables to show the "Rand" to whatever exchange rate

kakarotmf wrote:
Under Accomodations, it says, "Wives or families are welcome", implying that women can't be pilots. May want to change that to "Spouses".

Well actually women can be pilots there ... my mother is a pilot there, she's almost got her instructors licence ... but good point none the less

kakarotmf wrote:
It's be awesome if you had some more banner pics in series. Then each page has a unique banner pic that would simulate the plane "flying" from left to right.

That sounds so cool, gotta try it ... Nice suggestion ...

@murcielagossi ... thank you for the design ideas ... Awesome stuff
@kakarotmf ... I tend to usually focus more on the design part of the sites I do, so thank you for pointing some content related things out to me ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers