SITE REVIEW: Pc Forum Addict

• Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock: FInnaly I show you my super secret website.

Here it IS
http://advantagehost.co.uk/~foxy/

[the subdomain 'foxy.advantagehost.co.uk' does not work for some reason.]

Well how do you like it.
I have to add more content, more scripts for the add link, etc and so on, but im faily confident that this is very nice. I have tested it in all Resolutions, everything fits, and looks pretty good. although 1024x764(w/e) seems to be best.

Also, most links work. Or havent been added because I just started this week the site.

Seems like the poll, and the quote php scripts work fine. and dont have a problem.
from the original template, ive fixed, 34 bugs/errors with cross platforms, its tested and works fine in Internet , Mozillla 1.6/Firefox.

I think the color theme flows nicely, etc, not too wide (i like small and compact -.-)

so yea....
-Also their is a forum, nothing very 'cool' which is http://advantagehost.co.uk/~foxy/forum/ join if you wish.

:oops:

dish out all my problems :cry: *sniffle*

Im going to add/fix content, and add more scripts, fix a few Titles to center properly(just 1 title it seems need to be fixed)

:roll:
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looking good foxy, nice layout, others will critique for you! i'm not a web designer so i'll leave the that to our professionals.
8) like you say lol
suzie.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Technical issues:
far too many nested tables. If you must use tables then use rowspans and colspans to eliminate the need for bloated code. This is an excellent tutorial on the subject:
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/98/ ... =authoring

Alternatively you could banish the table layout for good :wink: this will remove all trace of bloated code and add many things that you could never do before.(I keep on saying it but no-one will listen... sigh)

You could really do with adding some alt text or some title text to the links at the top - using image navs is pretty bad but having nothing for accessibility is much worse. Plus no alt text on images is not valid.

you email address should be in a mailto: link, people are lazy - many of the won't bother to copy and paste the link into their mail client - make it easy for them.

You have a couple of tags in funny places - a style tag in the middle of a table, and a noscript tag down the bottom of the page with nothing in it :?

Your poll section just kinda floats around in the middle of the page, set the vertical align on that table cell to the top.

Strange things are going on in the side navigation with text wrapping that is totally unneeded.

Aesthetically:
I'm not keen on the grey but I'm not put off by it. I've seen much worse colour schemes. There isn't anything specifically wrong with the site. Everything works fine accross browsers and suchlike. It's a nice site - not my kinda place, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the website.

BTW - I would advise you to change the "aboust us" link :wink:
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
Technical issues:
far too many nested tables. If you must use tables then use rowspans and colspans to eliminate the need for bloated code. This is an excellent tutorial on the subject:
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/98/ ... =authoring

Alternatively you could banish the table layout for good :wink: this will remove all trace of bloated code and add many things that you could never do before.(I keep on saying it but no-one will listen... sigh)
Ive come to love the tables.... NEVER :cry:

Quote:
you email address should be in a mailto: link, people are lazy - many of the won't bother to copy and paste the link into their mail client - make it easy for them.
I got lazy, im going to put a script that will mail because I know how some ppl dont have 'mail' clients, and have 'webmail' so That I just put their for a slight purpose.

Quote:
You have a couple of tags in funny places - a style tag in the middle of a table, and a noscript tag down the bottom of the page with nothing in it :?
Yes I added things, then mustve lazily removed them inproperly :oops:

Quote:
Aesthetically:
I'm not keen on the grey but I'm not put off by it. I've seen much worse colour schemes. There isn't anything specifically wrong with the site. Everything works

Bad Color Scheme? :cry: I love it.... It goes well.. Your the first one outve 20ppl ive asked who's disliked the color scheme.. :oops:
maybe il; change the background... to a non grey... o.o
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

oi! I didn't say that I didn't like the colour scheme. I am indifferent to the colour scheme. Probably better to keep the bg grey else it will detract from the rest of the page.

Now I will have to kill you you evil table-loving infidel. Whats so great about tables anyway?

As a serious note, I would check out that tutorial and ditch some of the nested tables, there is far to much code in those page IMHO
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm,
Quote:
Now I will have to kill you you evil table-loving infidel. Whats so great about tables
hahahahahaha tables hold things like swfs images text..
Ahhh, i know, you did'nt know that did you rtm... :D
suzie.
:wink:
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, tables <b><i>can</i></b> do that, they're just not supposed to, and my divs do it <b><i>so</i></b> much better :p

(although my divs tend not to hold swfs) :roll:
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

-I added a Link submitter, removed the email crap,

-Fixed the navagation problem in Internet Explorer.
  • Volki
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like your site a lot, very nice. My eyes didn't hurt and where easy to keep track of what is going on and was able to navigate.

Here are few things that u might adress.

First is that u got a spelling mistake. Navagation instead of Navigation

There is one thing i noticed don't know if you wanna correct it. Your tables for navigation, poll and affilate their border color i believe is the same as your background colour which means that their left border can't be seen since it blends together with the background so this way u can't see it. This disbalances the the whole left edge of your website and it looks like it's indented. I hope my english was good enough to explain it clearly.

There is another thing but this is just my personal opinion. Your webpage is being centered in the middle and since it's not wide there is quite a lot of space left on both sides so that is waht i don't like. Sure it helps with resolutions u can see it on any. However u can tackle this problem in a different way. Your content sticks to the left side of the screen and to make sure that if someone comes with a bigger resolution screen u can leave on column of the main table insert background picture of 1 pix to the cell and it will cover the left over space no matter how big is the resolution.

All the best,

Volki
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

its purposely Centered, and I purposely set the tables like that, and the mispelling I mustve fluxed it -.-

also, I like small and compact like I said earlier... o.o

Ill probably maybe exnted it to 800width... But im happy at 600~
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not a bad site. I thought that the color scheme was decent, but a little more color here or there wouldnt be bad. Its a little bland. Just make sure to not OVER do it and make my eyes hate you forever.

I am afraid that I haev to agree with rtm about tables. I havent been scripting for very long, but they just take up SO much space. If you could even just take out half........

Otherwise, good site. Hope you get it totally up and runing without to much trouble. :)
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe you can compromise and do 700px lol. And they're right; divs are better. I'm need to let go of my love of tables and convert to divs as well.

Hmm... there's a lot of dead links when I'm clicking around the site (yes I realize you said this already). Well...can't say much else since it's not fully up yet =/
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice. easy to navigate and not bad for the eyes :-)

but still new and alot of work to do. good luck!
  • gladden
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • gladden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

When I first opened to your site I thought there was something wrong because the viewing area was centered in the middle with gray bars on the two sides, it seemed unusually narrow. The immediate visual impression I had was that some information was cut off especially on the left side where “Pc Forum Addict” column is. I was wondering since the information exceeds the viewing area and one must scroll down to see everything, would it not be more balanced to widen the page to fit more info? Besides this one point I like the clean look of your site.
:wink:
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

hm.. I purposly Centered it, and Its on purpose 'narrow' the gray bars is the backGround :\
hm What resolution are you using, doesnt seem to cut things off.
  • Fex
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

That Link does not seem to be working right now?
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea. theyre very gay lately.. the downtime *sigh*

works now...
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok ok ok, so after I posted this site on another, I got 134 "Its to narrow" votes, and 10 "its fine" votes, I feel hurt.. I like small, Im sure UNFLUX also, taking a look at his elite website, its narrow.. :cry:

anyways, to give you kids some satisfaction, I have made a wider one.. around 750 width, hey THATS THE LIMIT i'll go into, anyways, heres the Link to it, /~foxy doesnt work...

http://foxy.advantagehost.co.uk/testt.php

This is for the wide One, tell me what you think of it... is it better then the narrow, suggestions, etc? :roll:

I've decided to be more "open" :wink:

excluding the tables... comments.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

The link didnt work for me.........;)
  • jtrageser
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: server23.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

The link didn't work for me.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

it changed, its now the index.

http://foxy.advantagehost.co.uk
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it. Not mcuh to say though. Im kinda tired. My only comment is to tone down the white. Cant it be kinda an off whtie, so its not so bright? Of course, if you read any of my reviews, Im always complaining about the brightness. So, its whatever you like. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers