SITE REVIEW: Fractured Saints

• CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,
I really liked the way Bogey has been doing so I thought I would take it one step further and let you guys give me feedback on my initial rough I did for one of my blogs. The current site is FraturedSaints this is the new rough.

Heres a link to it

Thoughts? I needed a third column for stuff and I also wanted to drop the header some since it was taking so much of the page above the fold.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

very nice design, I like it. No critique needed here, which is a very rare occasion for me
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

To tell you the truth, the design looks kind of weird (sort of unique) without that header. Does it even have a logo? A good place for that would be at the top right corner above the log-in spot.

Another thing, I'm hoping that is just simple filler text, because there are a lot of grammatical, punctuational and organizational errors... some sentences don't even make sense :lol:

Some texts there suggest to being links, but they are the same color as any other text around it (such as 'View previous days & weeks' and the username for 'blogite: ').

I like the gradient background and the color scheme you chose for this design. The layout also works with the design and blog... certainly functional.

A little advice on the 'Word Game' thing. I suggest you move the link titled 'Help?' to the bottom, align it to the right, and rename it to 'More Info', and explain it there.

For the main content, try to justify it (lol align: justify... justify align it). That would make the whole thing look better (I think).

Also, you could rename 'View previous days & weeks' to 'View Archives' or simply 'Archives'. Short and effective :)

I don't see why you need that shadow under the main content box in the border... doesn't seem to fit there like that. If you want a shadow there, try to make it from edge to edge unless I'm missing some sort of effect you are going for there.

What about making the bottoms of the left and right columns touch the border? Would that improve the design? What do you think?

Also, why not create yourself your own 'submit' buttons, checkboxes, and input boxes using CSS? Makes the site look more of yours then little bits given to the browser.

Maybe an address to the church that is sponsoring the site? Or some way to contact them in case some users want to speak to the pastor? Or do you have/will have some messaging thing there?

How about a diamond or something in front of every title in the blue boxes? (Like in front of 'Login' or 'Authors').

And what about a footer? I mean, I don't really know if a footer is necessary or anything like that, I'm just used to seeing footers on every site I go to, so I find it kind of weird (unique) that your site doesn't have it.

I can't think of anything else at the moment :D It's a really great design, I got to tell you. I really like it. Good luck and congratulations on yet another great design :D
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

@mindfullsilence - Thanks!

@Bogey
Bogey wrote:
To tell you the truth, the design looks kind of weird (sort of unique) without that header. Does it even have a logo? A good place for that would be at the top right corner above the log-in spot.

Yeah the design is kinda quirky but I really wanted to give as much room to the actual blog content as possible. So the layout is new for me as well. The logo is the kinda scroll worky fs on the right side above The Word Game and Fresh Ments.

Bogey wrote:
Another thing, I'm hoping that is just simple filler text, because there are a lot of grammatical, punctuational and organizational errors... some sentences don't even make sense :lol:

The text is actually from a post but I had to cut the words out of it so they would fit in the new smaller frame, so disregard the post you can read it on the site if you want. Forgot to mention that. Sorry.

Bogey wrote:
Some texts there suggest to being links, but they are the same color as any other text around it (such as 'View previous days & weeks' and the username for 'blogite: ').

Yeah I think the blue there would look better at least on the side bar (the blogite isn't actually a link) Let me change that.

Bogey wrote:
A little advice on the 'Word Game' thing. I suggest you move the link titled 'Help?' to the bottom, align it to the right, and rename it to 'More Info', and explain it there.

I like the idea of putting it at the bottom. I actually had "more info?" the first time I wrote it but it was too big for the header. Will change.

Bogey wrote:
For the main content, try to justify it (lol align: justify... justify align it). That would make the whole thing look better (I think).

I'll look into it, I am not a huge fan of justifying text unless whatever is justifying it is really good at it. I hate wonky spacing, but once i get it into wordpress I will place around with the alignment. Good suggestion.

Bogey wrote:
Also, you could rename 'View previous days & weeks' to 'View Archives' or simply 'Archives'. Short and effective :)

Well I dont want the person to confuse the twg archives with the regular blog archives, how about "TWG Archives".

Bogey wrote:
I don't see why you need that shadow under the main content box in the border... doesn't seem to fit there like that. If you want a shadow there, try to make it from edge to edge unless I'm missing some sort of effect you are going for there.

The footer border under the content area is a little more shaded to contrast that area a little more from the sidebar. Just something else to make it stand out more.

Bogey wrote:
What about making the bottoms of the left and right columns touch the border? Would that improve the design? What do you think?

Let me play with the sidebars touching the border and I will get back to you.

Bogey wrote:
Also, why not create yourself your own 'submit' buttons, checkboxes, and input boxes using CSS? Makes the site look more of yours then little bits given to the browser.

Will do. Hadn't thought of doing that. Good idea. What all can I do as far as fields and check boxes, just the border and the backgrounds?

Bogey wrote:
Maybe an address to the church that is sponsoring the site? Or some way to contact them in case some users want to speak to the pastor? Or do you have/will have some messaging thing there?

I am adding a contact form to the new site. And no there isn't a church backing it, just me. I started it about a year and a half ago on blogspot and then since I had some server space and preferred wordpress I pulled it off blogspot. The I started asking friends to write on it and now this is where it is.

Bogey wrote:
How about a diamond or something in front of every title in the blue boxes? (Like in front of 'Login' or 'Authors').

Well there is the little flourish. It might be a little hard to see but its there. I wanted to keep it really subtle so I would have the maximum amount of space for the Titles like "The Word Game". I could play with more though I played with probably 5 different designs.

Bogey wrote:
And what about a footer? I mean, I don't really know if a footer is necessary or anything like that, I'm just used to seeing footers on every site I go to, so I find it kind of weird (unique) that your site doesn't have it.

I will probably use a really simple footer like what is currently on the site. You think I should add some copyright stuff below the footer info?

Bogey wrote:
I can't think of anything else at the moment :D It's a really great design, I got to tell you. I really like it. Good luck and congratulations on yet another great design :D

Thanks man, and thanks for all the great feedback!!
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

With the updates Bogey suggested (except the sidebars going all the way down, it didnt look right). Also now I added a feature post area, that will show a snippet of the most recent featured post. No the same post wont appear right under itself its just a place holder. I am not 100% sold on the icons under the featured post, might have to invest some time in illustrator and make some cool ones. Also not 100% on the way I added the "Need Help?" in the "The Word Game" section.

Link
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

About the menu elements... you could just change the border... I usually make the textboxes and checkboxes a border of a color of my choosing (that fits my site) and a simple white background (although, if you are good with colors, you could probably find a good background color).

For submit/reset buttons, I give it a border color and a background color to kind of separate it from the rest of the form (not to much though... the background color is enough to separate it from the form).

I like what youve done under the first post in the main content area. (The one where there are only two icons).

I also have a suggestion on the bottom row of icons (9 icons are there), but that would have to wait since I don't have time right now... I can't explain it, I would have to draw it so it would make sense, but other than that...

I like it much better :D The design is great, and I don't think I would be able to suggest anything more to make it better...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

About about iconfinder.net for icons?

Comment Icons
Continue Reading Icons
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

K, I still have some work to do, but I got it up on my test server and am having a problem. In IE6 (oh how I hate IE6) the far right column is breaking down below the middle right column. Anyone know whats breaking it? The wordpress test site.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never mind got it. Stupid IE6.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

CXLink wrote:
Never mind got it. Stupid IE6.

I wouldn't have worried about IE6 :lol:
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok ignoring the 70 some odd errors in validator and the crappy why the code structure is currently setup. Does anyone see or have any problems with Fractured Saints?

Still so much to do ..... blah.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have 'Ye Ole Post' in the third column from right, at the bottom... isn't that supposed to be 'Ye Old Post'?

And I have a suggestion... why don't you make the links in 'Ye Ole Post' display: block; width: 100%;? I think that would be better... I like those types of links :D

Other then the stuff you already meantioned CXLink, I can't think of anything wrong with it... I really like the layout and the design. :D Great job with that :)
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

just the links in "ye" or all the sidebar links?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess you could include 'Categories' into it as well. Just try it out and see how you like it... not everyone likes that... I do though...

Make sure it's links and not the container they are in:
Code: [ Select ]
.class_name a {
display: block;
width: 100%;
}
  1. .class_name a {
  2. display: block;
  3. width: 100%;
  4. }
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

k added

Code: [ Select ]
.sidebarmiddle ul ul li a {
display:block;
width:100%;
}
  1. .sidebarmiddle ul ul li a {
  2. display:block;
  3. width:100%;
  4. }

but not seeing a change.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

It shouldn't change the appearance... it would make the link be as wide as the wrapper it is in... before, you could only click the link if your mouse was over the links, now you can click the link if your mouse is on the right of the text but still in the wrapper and the line-height of that link. Like I said, I don't know if you like that, I do.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it makes the link easier to hit. I like it. Thanks
  • Aurix
  • Aurix

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is a very decent and clean layout/design. You've down a good job, there's no downsides, really..
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson
  • Loc: Arkansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually I think its a great site. It's well designed and organized.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Aurix and sbronson.

So of my 70 some odd validation errors some of them are coming from some of my plugins. Should I care about the errors enough to actually edit the plugin?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would fix the errors that don't close the tags as they could hurt you SEO wise (or maybe I'm wrong here... search engines have grown rather smart these days).
  • jobbala
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Clyde, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the look and feel of the site. You have a lot of information presented, but it does not feel cluttered at the same time. Visually it is very appealing.

I also really like the very small header. It accomplishes the task of telling you where you are without taking up too much space.

I noticed that you have a related twitter account and thought you might like to post your twitter feed right on the page. You can do so at http://twitter.com/widgets

Just a thought
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks jobbala but I dont want to publish my twitter feed. I have it on my personal site but FS already has so much crap on it. Plus the feed is 80% whats posted on the site anyway.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The header does bug me a bit. When I scroll to the top of the page, I expect to keep going. Perhaps bringing the header down to maybe 10-15px from the top of the document would help.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

So do you want me to increase the size of the header bar or just decrease the amount of space between the post and the header?
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't increase the size of it, as I like the simplicity. I was thinking add a margin-top declaration in the css for the header
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have nay problems with the header... the logo though (The 'fs' on the right side) though is too close to the top header thing.

Or did I misunderstood what you meant by 'header'?
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm calling the header the 30px line at the top with the site name in it. I'm not sure what I call the area where the FS is. I guess just the logo area works fine.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nah, I did understand what you mean by the header... I think that if you make it bigger it would ruin the design a little bit (at least in my opinion). I would make a little margin or something at the bottom so the text wouldn't be so close to the header, that's it... like maybe 5-10 pixels.
  • CCNS
  • Born
  • Born
  • CCNS

Post 3+ Months Ago

Extremely busy site, bit with enough pop and catchy remarks to make me bookmark it and go scan thru it when I am not so tired. Good to see someone covering something other than the I like it side of sex drugs and rock n roll on the interwebzzz. I really dig the graphics as well, did you create them?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 32 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers