What do you think of this idea?

Poll ended at July 4th, 2004, 10:08 pm.

•  
    Very good idea people will use it.
  •  
    An ok idea don't expect alot to use it.
  •  
    Terrible idea what were you thinking!

SITE REVIEW: My Free Hosting service. What you think?

• muggle21
  • muggle21

Post 3+ Months Ago

I created this website for mysql database hosting. Where i'm giving away 60MB of free databases to anyone who needs it.

I have just launched the site a few days ago and now i'm looking for some reviews on the design and performance as well as the idea.

Please be critical. All comments will be greatly appreciated

the site is http://www.dbpond.com.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't claim that you're the FIRST db hosting service - that's false advertising, because you're not. GOOGLE. You are not the first!

Why do you say that you're offering free databases, and then proceed to have an ad for PAID databases? You don't say what's different about the paid ones!

I like the design and it didn't take too long to load, looks fine. The graphics are a bit random, I get the frog but what's with the rest of it?

I like it, but your advertising is a bit sneaky.
  • muggle21
  • muggle21

Post 3+ Months Ago

When the site was first put together the thought of paid database hosting was the original idea. and the site was built as such. However I decided to offer the the service for free instead. I just haven't gotten around to taking down the banner.

As for claiming that we are the first your right we aren't because their are many other free dedicated database hosting services out their

like http://www.Freesql.org or http://mysql.teczone.net/nnSQL/index.php

But in my opinion they have a lot of limitations.

The paid hosting on the other hand in the services is for people who have commercial purposes. That I have to charge for and as you can see i'm not charging a lot, unless 3G of space for 20 bucks a month is a lot.

The free database is completely for personal use and testing. If someone don't know how to use mysql or want to test their scripts on a different server then thats what they can use the database for.

I will make all corrections you suggested thank you.

P.S Go farther than the first page next time you review a site.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

muggle21 wrote:

P.S Go farther than the first page next time you review a site.

That could be a little difficult to do, since for example, on your News page the TOS and Disclaimer and a variety of other links including your Donations one are dead links.

As an added note I deleted the post in hosting. Essentially, we consider that spam and don't allow it.

At the moment this is where you need to be anyway. My review of your site design is pretty straight forward. It has a pretty nice look to it. I can't really think of anything to suggest for improving general effect, however, it appears that you are jumping the gun in trying to recruit "testers" before you even have your site working properly. That's a huge turnoff.

Please don't spam your site again. This review post and your signature are sufficient to get people to see your site.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers