SITE REVIEW: Free message boards

• dustin_klug
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dustin_klug

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello friends.
I've got two new websites. First of them is http://www.123forum.com . It's a free message board.
The second service is files hosting, http://www.upload.sc .
I'd be grateful for any advices. Please review my websites.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• musicbiz
  • musicbiz

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the upload site , because it is not full with pop ups like most of them!
Kerep it like that please :)
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

upload.sc: Nice, simple, clean. Upon initial inspection, the only thing I would change is the orange/blue/green thing you have going on. To clarify, the content of your homepage is limited. The three aforementioned colours are used twice in addition to appearing in the logo: in your "Try us!" line, and in the numbered steps. Since there are only two instances, I thought they were related in some way, but they're not. For example, in the text, "e-mail" is orange. My expectation, therefore, is that the step that specifies the recipient's e-mail address would be the orange one; but it's not, it's blue. I would just suggest changing things about a little bit so that it's consistent in that regard, but it's certainly not a major issue.

123forum.com: Also nice 'n' clean, great job on the design. Three things: First, I didn't understand the separation of content, red and green. After staring at it a bit, it occurred to me that the red options have to do with the user's interation with the site, while the green options have to do with the user's interaction with the people behind the site (contacting you, asking for help). It might be a bit of a stretch, but I made sense of it. However, that doesn't explain why you're talking about the site's features in the green section. Of course, there may have been no rhyme or reason to the visual separation, but then that's not a good thing either.

Second, I was always told that whenever possible, saying "click here" on a web site should be avoided. Instead, you might briefly discuss the site's features, hotlinking key phrases to more comprehensive explanations.

Finally, you might consider give your pages more descriptive names than "index3," "index4," etc.

Hth.
  • dustin_klug
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dustin_klug

Post 3+ Months Ago

thx for your review. I'm waiting for suggestions of others.
Have you checked how it works?
  • Mephistox
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Mephistox

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.123forum.com/
The main page is amazing. I love the layout and the colors. The registration was a tad confusing...

There is a big problem though. While the main page is amazing, the forums themselves - honestly put - suck. They are boring and unimaginative.
Why not take your main page theme and make 2 or 3 forum themes from it?
Then the site would really be interesting.

Try and get more preview images of your forums for guests to see. Especially if you make new forum themes (which you must, if you want to get your site anywhere), you need a new page for people to look at them.

The last thing I noticed about your site is that users cannot choose the name of their forum. I was under that impression.
And I really think you should allow people to do that - when they choose their name, let it be the url as well... so if my forum name is ozzuX, let the link be 123forum.com/ozzuZ .

Whatever you do, I cannot stress how important to get good themes for the forums is. If you keep the ones you have now, I doubt anyone will be using your service for long.
I don't like being so blunt, but thats the truth.

http://www.upload.sc
Like the forum site, this has a great site layout. You really have a way with the templates, eh?

Great site idea, very well done.

EDIT: Only critisism: add a link to the file itself on the "Finished uploading" page.
Like it says Click here to for preview, Click here to download, and Click here to remove file from our server.
Below that, add in a box the physical link to the file, so people can share the file with friends.
  • dustin_klug
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dustin_klug

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your comments. I'll look on it and I'll try to correct all failings.
  • gcpmusic
  • gcpmusic
  • Loc: Italy

Post 3+ Months Ago

The second service is files hosting, http://www.upload.sc .
I'd be grateful for any advices. Please review my websites.[/quote]

Overall nice feel but I found that the green menu navigation on the left is too smal considering that there is so mutch space. Making it bigger will also balance better the page.

Nice site.
gC
  • dustin_klug
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dustin_klug

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. have you checked the functionality of this service?
  • dustin_klug
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dustin_klug

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello friends. I'm waiting for your comments on my services. Is there anything I could change or improve?
  • onemillion
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • onemillion
  • Loc: Baltimore

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the idea, but there is too much text on the home page, people dont like to read, they like to click. Maybe break out the text into links.
  • Dughy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Romania/Galati

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd put a small register link under log in... i'm not that patient reading all the way down for join now.. i like shortcuts and small talk and beautiful animation like u'rs!:) Nice forum by the way
  • Brian Jester
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Brian Jester
  • Loc: Bayonne, New Jersey USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

It seem's that alot of people are having problems with knowing the 'right' colors to use...I went through a 'tough test' on this issue, but the best thing to do is to put text (not image text) but plain browser text in black when ever you can, especially on your homepage where it's most important. Otherwise, site is ok to me.

-Brian
  • Wordsforhire
  • Wordsforhire
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah the site si great looking could do wth a little bit more text though, some people are not readers they just like to get on with things and learn as they go..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers