SITE REVIEW: Free Programming Resources [new template]

• RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm working on a new template for the site, and I'd appreciate it if folks could take a look at it and let me know how it displays. I'm moving toward an all-css design without tables, and at this point I have removed all the tables from the links pages, but there are still a few internal tables in the main and category pages. I'd be particularly interested to hear if any of the columns are overlapping each other and if so, which browser/os combination you were viewing it with. I got the three column css layout from The Layout Reservoir.

// updated
the new template is up and running:
Free Programming Resources
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is definetely content rich, which is really good as your site will be useful for many people. However I think it could be improved if you add some graphics to spice it up. Right now its mostly just text, and a few lines to seperate areas. For me I get bored pretty fast on a site if there is not something to break up the text and keep my eyes interested. It doesn't have to be a great deal of graphics, but I think a few to spice things up would help.

I am using IE 6.5 and everything seems to load correctly as you intended.

I do like how when I hover over the menu on the left a box lights up around the link kind of making it stand out more.
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Touring the USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You re-did it, i like it now, nice navigation. Maybe more graphics if it wont cludder it?
  • JS7

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMadmin wrote:
Too much text. Cluddering. Confusing.

I don't think too much text has to be a problem. The problem is the lack of larger font, bold font etc, to assign weight. People don't read, they scan, so you need to use different font sizes, topic headings, and paragraph headings to assign weight to the text.

Here's a site I'm working on which is design to hold a ton a content, while at the same time avoiding the confusion that often comes with that:
http://www.internet-marketing-research. ... _fraud.php

Note the use of H1, H2, bold and italics.

8)
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for taking a look and giving me your thoughts. After reviewing my site stats I concluded that most of the text and links at the bottom of the front page weren't really resulting in many additional hits from search engines and since my subpages are all indexed by google now it seemed superfluous, so I replaced the long text with a word about navigating the site for now. I'm planning on adding a simple directory structure under that and I'm going to see about adding some images if I can ever figure out how to use this GIMP tool that I downloaded.

I'm already using headers, but I did decide to put the underline back on the links to make them stand out a bit more from the plain text. I'll be continuing to tweak it, so if you have any additional thoughts please let me know.
  • CasTiger
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lots to read on your web site.
:shock:
I think it looks very nice and it's very clean. The odd few graphics might be an idea, but all in all your site is very helpful.
I also like the site navigation. It's easy to get from one page to the next and moving the mouse over each link turns the link light blue.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, I've been working on cleaning it up a bit :D
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

It takes a few seconds to load which is wierd, I might have a slow connection right now. It looks good, kinda over whelming at first glance :shock: So much content. I can't find anything wrong with it. I don't think you should be worried.
  • Creatormaster
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Creatormaster
  • Loc: Nevada

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is a very useful site... I like the color scheme. I also like the resources on that site, it helped me so far.
  • jshen0630
  • jshen0630
  • Loc: California, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

the site fits the brower window, and fits in different resolution.
I like this site, and bookmarked it, alot of resources.
  • Douggz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Douggz
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the navagation bar and it needs more graphics but its cool
  • lostsoul
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • lostsoul
  • Loc: Ocala, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it you have alot of content... Keep up the good work.
  • shaunamc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • shaunamc
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lots of content....a little overwhelming at first...but very useful info on there...good job
  • CGameProgrammer
  • CGameProgrammer

Post 3+ Months Ago

As the previous posters said, the layout and especially the colors are very monotonous -- you need to break up the page more. But I did like the thoughtful menu -- you used simple text for the links, but arranged it so clicking the area activates the link instead of the text itself... with an area mouseover instead of just a text link mouseover. Definitely aids navigation.
  • mustardplaster
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mustardplaster
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the site because of the content as posts above have said. I also thig that a small amount of graghics for navigation and look is a good idea to keep people interested in the site. Maybe even just a highlight of color would do. Good content and easy to get around is a big plus. Fo some reason it did not load for a while maybe a bit slow. I was browsing other websites with no prob but yours would not load fast took about a minute. I testedthis on another mchine too... 10 mins lter and all was fine..

Good luck with the site.
  • northjersey78
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

RichB wrote:
My users haven't given me much feedback and I suspect I've become blind to some things that are probably obvious to others since I've been staring at the same basic layout for a long time now, so any comments are welcome. :)

http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com

Your site is clean and loads quickly - but everything seems a little scattered. Consider breaking down some of the category groups using tables or at least bullets so people can quickly find whatr they want without reading line after line to find something they need.
  • gracequeen
  • gracequeen

Post 3+ Months Ago

The content is quite good, but i think if u can change the text color a bit darker or u change ur bgcolor(may be blue color), it will definitely look better, coz i think the text r too bright now.... And if u can add some graphics will be much more better....

may be u can get some inspiration from this site:
http://www.cwd.dk/

if u want to get some ideas of color matching, u can refer to this also:
http://www.colormatch.dk/
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with most of the previous posts about content and graphics but I'll reiterate from my perspective.

First off your header needs some work. You should consider making it just text and use css to size it so that it doesn't look quite so unclear. It may be because of my high resolution but I would still shoot for CSS.

Next it has the content...lots of content. It is VERY text heavy, I find it hard to "breathe". Not a lot of white space, and when there is some it is used ineffectively. I get a very closed in feeling when looking at it. I would suggest adding a few BRIGHT images to draw the eye to certain areas, and add in a few breaks inbetween the tables to give it some breathing room.

I like the navigation how it is, but it seems very lengthy, is there any way it could be shortened or compiled so it isn't such a long list of topics?

And finally the bottom two advert links need to be centered, otherwise they are throwing everything off balance.

Hope that helps! :-)
  • Meldryn
  • Meldryn

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just one thing, the title seems a little generic. Maybe you could come up with a logo or something, at least something other than normal Times New Roman :P
  • jshen0630
  • jshen0630
  • Loc: California, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice work.
  • 007Ninchen
  • Born
  • Born
  • 007Ninchen

Post 3+ Months Ago

jshen0630 wrote:
nice work.

JJ

Wow, what kind of signature.... Don't you think it's "a bit" overloaded? .......
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm working on a new template for the site, and I'd appreciate it if folks could take a look at it and let me know how it displays. I'm moving toward an all-css design without tables, and at this point I have removed all the tables from the links pages, but there are still a few internal tables in the main and category pages. I'd be particularly interested to hear if any of the columns are overlapping each other and if so, which browser/os combination you were viewing it with. I got the three column css layout from The Layout Reservoir.

// updated
the new template is up and running:
Free Programming Resources
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I definitely like the new much more than the old...

Although, I think it just needs a little touching up with some graphics. I know content is the key, but for example, on the books page, see if you can put a small (say 60x90) thumbnail of the book cover next to each title - people often remember the actual overall cover rather than the specific titles of each book - and even many eBooks have some kind of "cover" or other image representation. Those that are electronic conversions of in-print books, use the in-print cover so that if they've seen a book at a local store, and been thinking about getting it, they instantly recognize it on the site, and know that they can get it from you and have a good read without actually having to go spend money at a store - If there is an in-print version of the book available too, setup an Amazon affiliates link to that book on eBay.

For those that don't have laser printers, printing an E-Book might not be a viable option and would just rather get the printed version of the book for an easy reference - especially if it's a good one.

But yeah, like I said, definitely an improvement over the current version :)
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks axe. I know it needs some graphics, and I think I'll work on that after I get it relocated to a better server. I actually had the amazon affiliate links up for a while, but they didn't earn anything, so I yanked them in frustration. Traffic has tripled since then, so perhaps I'll give them a try again.

I was a little concerned about the layout and the columns getting screwed up because a couple of earlier css-layouts didn't test so well, but this one seems to be ok so far and I need to do something because the current site is a bit of an eyesore.
  • _Leo_
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site, I like the design, I think sites like this one don't need too much graphics.

For some reason I have to add www. to the link you posted. I'm using Mozilla and I suspect that Internet Explorer may be trying to add the www by himself but Mozilla won't do that. Be sure of using the URL as it is registered in the DNS.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Leo. I added the www.
  • webdesigns
  • webdesigns

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,

Great site!

-Awesome content
-Easy to navigate

You can tell a lot of time went into this site. It is very complex, but anybody with any sense will bookmark it and use it over a long period of time.

It is a little harsh on the eyes, but that just gives me an excuse to take a break and get some fresh air outside.

Keep up the good work.

-Jon Harrison

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers