SITE REVIEW: Free Search Engine Submission

• tolkein
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tolkein

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just completed this site a couple of days ago -
http://www.freesubmit.org

It's non-profit and provides free submission to 160+ major search engines & directories.

Please comment:

1. how's the design - color scheme & layout, too many ads, etc?
2. ease of navigation - is it easy to find the menu? too many clicks to get to the form, etc?
3. the value of such a service.
4. suitability of the domain name based on site content.

Also have a look at this page and give your comments:
http://www.freesubmit.org/home.htm
- how useful is it as a startpage for webmasters and domainers.

Thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Hazard
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow. pretty good, straight to the point - not too many ads, actually, barely any pics on the page at all...
which makes it quick to load and not frustrating for users with dial up :D

a few things i should mention...
lack of colours - lemme elaborate - not exactly LACKING, the green & blue is fine, but i suggest u adopt a logo in photoshop (using the same colour scheme, integrating the hang-logo u've put (which is nice, btw)...

other than that, there are just little things - like rounding the corners on those tabs...

i'll let others add tips and stuff....i've been chattering too long. please dont get annoyed....its my first ever post in the site review forum. :oops: :lol:
  • tolkein
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tolkein

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Hazard. I guess what you're saying basically is that it's a little plain.

Any other comments.
  • tsnyderawt
  • tsnyderawt

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tolkein:

Great website name, I'm amazed that it was available. Good find.

Very simple and clean design - which is good.

Website title (FreeSubmit.org) is combined with your tag line (Submit URL for Free). I'd recommend splitting it up to two lines.

Put the AdSense ads vertically in the right column. It's positioning and color scheme yell out 'ADS' so visitors will probably just tune it out (or try to). Putting them in the right column may slightly decrease your revenue stream, but long-term you build greater credibilty. Besides, in a tower format you can have 4-5 ads.

I was confused by the line that starts "Some search engines...". Does that mean the website owner will be forced to deal with hundreds of spam e-mails. On top of those, will they then have to resubmit to 20-30 sites? I would definitely not sign up based on that statement. Stay away from my inbox.

I like the sponsor section in the left menu. Nicely done.

The ads at the bottom are really micky mouse. If you are going for newbie webmasters then maybe they won't notice. But anyone with a month or two of experience will wonder how real your site is.

Tom

[/quote]
  • tolkein
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tolkein

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the detailed comments - I am a newbie at web design :)

1. Splitting the website title and tagline.
- there isn't anymore space at the top bar. I could do 3 lines but wouldn't that make the top look cluttered?

2. I can't put the ads on the right due to space constraints, although I'd love to.

3. Unfortunately FFA networks do send you marketing emails. I was hit with almost 100 the first day but it's dropped to less than 10/day. Maybe I should remove the FFA network from the submission list?

4. You mean the ads at the bottom? I think so too.

Btw, I made some changes to the site in response to the feedback here :)
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Site looks good, one suggestion though , most folks if there are to many pages to get to what they want will click off the site, I would cut out the middle page(s) to the submission form page.

WC
  • tolkein
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tolkein

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wild Child: I had to use the middle page to advise on the possible spam mails from FFA networks (although I've removed it from the submission list).

If I placed all this information on the mainpage, then it'll look too cluttered there.
  • vortex
  • Student
  • Student
  • vortex
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it,
short and sweet and to the point

vortex
  • vpar2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vpar2
  • Loc: Rockville MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have a good web site with useful content, but its not immediately obvious what it is. Try underlining the links on the left as well as moving the google adsense ads to the bottom or to the side. Other than that, its a nice, clean site. Good work.
  • tolkein
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tolkein

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all your opinions. I've done some modifications to the site to make it look cleaner.

Unfortunately, because it's a completely free service I've no choice but to leave the Google ads there.

Any other comments appreciated.
  • traderxs
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • traderxs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very good and fast site! And the submission works perfectly, very fast :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers